American Automobile Association (AAA)
www.aaa.com Heathrow, FL 500 to 999 Employees

American Automobile Association (AAA) Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

American Automobile Association (AAA) President and CEO Robert L. Darbelnet

Robert L. Darbelnet

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, nice offices and good training opportunities for employees"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Good work Life balance and a good community partner"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management had no idea about the working conditions in their department"
    in 8 reviews
  • "upper management treats call center employees like slaves working in a sweat shop"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall, I had a growing, challenging and good experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA)

ProsCompany has a lot of great potential, very conservative yet, some upper management is willing to grow... SLOWLY but surely. Overall leadership has great vision.

ConsThere will always be leaders in a company who are not trusting, disrespectful and condescending, this is company is no different. Compensation could be highly improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees, and TRUST and appreciate them. Without them, the company can go nowhere.

Horrible company since the merger took over!!! They do not value their employees at all.

Claims Representative (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLove the employees there. Also, you have some freedom and are not really micromanaged, depending on the manager.

ConsTerrible benefits, terrible claims handling practices, no training department/plan, dinosaur computer systems, you never have the tools needed to complete your every day job functions, promised things which never happen. Lots of "behind your back" talking by management. TERRIBLE BONUSES! TERRIBLE COMPENSATION!! TERRIBLE HIRING DECISIONS!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay what people are really worth, express interest in those who are of value to the company, reward those who work the hardest for you, hire employees that actually have a brain ... or better yet experience. Oh, and background checks on new hire candidates would be nice too! Half of the people you are hiring have been FIRED from their prior companies and are lying to you about it!!!! Promote within.

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

Proseasy life, hourly pay, rewards

Conslow pay, high speed, no team

It is what it is

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

ProsClaim to offer as much overtime as you want. In-depth training provided.

ConsRepetitive work with low pay.

Company still treats the "Underlings" like it's the 1900's

Customer Advocate I (Former Employee)
Omaha, NE

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPaid vacation hours, sick days, 401k, "meh" benefits.

ConsWhile they do give paid vacation hours, you receive 2 sick “credits” every six months if you are full time. These credits are good for one time each up to three days in a row.

Due to risk of termination, coworkers will come in to work when they are ill instead of calling in, risking the health of other coworkers (desks are partially separated by walls that are roughly 3 feet tall).

Company has been around for approximately 100 years and they have extensive knowledge about how busy it gets in the winter and summer, yet they continue to hire employees only twice a year even with a high turnover rate (I believe it was 72% last I checked) and when we can take upwards of over a million calls in a year.

They reduce and/or remove lunches and breaks during busy times and when asked if they felt it was moral to do such a thing (asked due to having a required class on morality in the workplace) they answered with, “Moral or not, it’s legal”

While there is no set script, there is a list of over a dozen things we are required to say in order to “certify” calls, if a certain number of calls do not “certify” within the month we can be reprimanded and/or eventually terminated due to failure of certification.

As well as the certification of calls, we are required to have a certain percentage of “total customer satisfaction” they use a third party to send surveys through e-mail. It is an all or none system, if the customer is not completely 100% satisfied; if they are even 99% satisfied it is considered a failure and can again be reprimanded up to termination.

Even though they are a 24 hour business, AAA hires part-time temporary positions and you can work up to being a full-time permanent employee. It was not disclosed but I assume the reasoning behind that is to avoid paying for benefits and not have to pay holiday pay either.

They have regional managers, district managers, department managers, and supervisors, as well as a QA department, all in one office. The only other company that I have worked for that micromanages at that level is Wal-Mart.

Due to the fact we handle personal information (addresses, credit card information) there are strict rules in place to not have your cell phone or any recording device out, as well as not leaving with papers, etc… It is not enforced in the slightest and I have seen coworkers on their cell phone while speaking with a member.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times, with so many other companies doing roadside assistance (BP, state farm, etc...) You no longer have a monopoly on the service.

And stop saying you're a non-profit organization!!

Good company/Almost impossible to advance

Dispatcher (Current Employee)
Providence, RI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAAASNE is a good starting point to start a job after highschool or even college. Benefits are fantastic and the atmosphere is great as well.

ConsThe pay is not that good and advancing is very difficult. There are too many managers overseeing your day to day assignments

Advice to Senior ManagementShow a little more respect to the employees working under you

attention licensed insurance agents interested in a solid company to work for

Licensed Insurance Agent Property & Casualty (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat team working relationships while helping consumers secure quality AAA insurance products

ConsRequired weekend work for production

Advice to Senior Managementrestore flexible work credit for weekend over time work

Very good company

Fleet Driver Light Service (Former Employee)
Portland, ME

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat supervisors and training opportunities give you skills that not many mom and pop companies can offer.

ConsRevamp the pay scale. The pay scale is severely confusing and based on number of calls/tows/batteries you sell. Even with the bonus, the pay is not enough to live off of. 10.30 an hour is lower than some fast food chains.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake action and pay the guys more, they deserve at least 13.00 an hour for the amount of work we have to do.

Accounting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA)

ProsGood benefits, bonuses, medical, perks, etc

ConsUnfair management doesn't care about employees

I'd rather be unemployed

ERS (Former Employee)
Long Beach, CA

Prosfree coffee , discounted (barely) membership, lots of free snacks

Consmanagement/supervisors and the like are all uneducated. training class is super long and tedious & bOOOOring . all they do for 6 weeks in training is tell you how amazing AAA is, and it's not. You don't even get a desk, you have to wipe down a desk with disinfecting wipes before you shift because someone sat there before you, chairs smell because everyone uses them, moral is ZERO. Everyone is scared they're going to get fired - and they usually do. AAA is a money hungry company, once you work there you'll see....Seriously fast food places start more than what you'd make here. Look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementWant to be a face that people respect, take some of your "management" money and get some dental work, I've never seen so many missing teeth in my life!

Worked for American Automobile Association (AAA)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Automobile Association (AAA) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Automobile Association (AAA) CEO Robert L. Darbelnet. All 245 reviews posted anonymously by American Automobile Association (AAA) employees.