American Automobile Association (AAA)

www.aaa.com
  www.aaa.com

American Automobile Association (AAA) Reviews

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014

American Automobile Association (AAA) President and CEO Robert L. Darbelnet
Robert L. Darbelnet

Pros
  • They also offered 2 days Work From home, that was a great way for Work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• They do have good benefits and nice coworkers (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management staff is completely unhelpful (in 13 reviews)

• Lack of communication between leaders results in finger pointing and lies ending with agents taking the fall (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Travel consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

Pros

Great work environment and benefits

Cons

The pay was below average

An ok job i guess

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

Pros

easy money overtime available o

Cons

angry customers working every weekend

n/a

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is lots of room for growth of you play your cards right. I started at 13 an hour at the bottom and now at over 50k in just a few years. Great people if your a people person...

Cons

Lots of work! Dealing with members can be difficult but that's anywhere you go. I think of it as job security. There can be a lot of gossip if you allow yourself to get involved with it. Almost like high school... once your on their bad side you may as well start looking for another job...

Quality work environment, very professional and committed to serving members

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work, employees are dedicated to serving the needs of its members

Cons

Behind in technology, need to update their systems and invest in training

Need to improve the systems to make it easier to serve members' needs

Working with AAA you feel like part of a family.

Former Employee - Sales and Service Agent in Susanville, CA
    Former Employee - Sales and Service Agent in Susanville, CA

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company provides ongoing training and cares about its employees. AAA helps you grow so that you can promote. The management is flexible with its employees and supports the personal/familial needs of its employees. Everyone works as a "team" within the office.

Cons

Quick turn-around in management. Within the two years of employment, there was three changes in management.

Great training and management. Sometimes almost impossible expectations.

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Battle Creek, MI
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Battle Creek, MI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training, management and compensation.

Cons

High expectations. No leeway when it comes to demographics.

Possibly help the people that work in a smaller town and modify their quota.

Steadily decreasing income.

Pros

Your 1st year you will be trained, mostly treated well, and well compensated and valued for success and hard work.

Cons

Each year you will make less money than the year before, though your performance will improve.

Show more appreciation for direct sales agents; stop focussing solely on upper management and board member incomes. Allow insurance agents to prosper, as well.

AAA is a good place to work.

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are like family. Stable job. Stable income. Very diverse. Clean environment. Potluck dinners and occasionally pizza days. Pays the bills.

Cons

Lack of parking for employees. Huge lack of moral. Great deal of nepotism. Loyalty, dedication and hard work does not get recognized. Mangers and supervisors are unapproachable and lack consistency in procedures. Your treated like a number not a person. Room for advancement if you're best friends with someone.

Get your heads out of the ground. Remember without us there would be no AAA

Management and corporate does NOT care about employees

Former Employee - Emergency Roadside Representative in Bridgeport, WV
    Former Employee - Emergency Roadside Representative in Bridgeport, WV

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Don't think I can think of any

Cons

I worked for Triple A East Central for about a week! Let me tell you one of the FIRST THINGS that was said was that it was a definite no no to post negative things about them on social media! WELL since I was treated with such disrespect, I think I am going to go ahead and ignore that little warning.

I applied for a position and interviewed and unfortunately shortly after began experiencing health problems which were getting increasingly worse which myself and my doctor believed to be gallbladder related. While going for tests and apts I was called to start my position on Nov. 11. On my first day I let them know what I was going through and despite my pain I came in every day trying to learn the vast amount of things they teach you to be a roadside assistant call taker. This calls for about 6 weeks of training, including classroom and on the job training, I was assured I was doing quite well despite my discomfort.

On friday I had a presched doctor apt regarding my situation, and she sent me for an ultrasound based on my symptoms. Instead of taking the entire day off, because I was asked too, I came in directly after and worked half a day after being poked and prodded. Upon returning on Monday I had gotten worse but I came in. Half way through the day I had become fevered and pale and the person training me expressed concerned about my well being. I left and went to the emergency room and blood was taken as well as urinalysis and I was diagnosed that night with at minimum pancreatitus. I was referred to a gastrointestinal doctor but this doctor was overbooked and was going to TRY to get me in ASAP.

The following day (Tues) I was given a doc excuse from er to give me time to make arrangements with my family doc to sched more blood work and a HIDA scan. I kept in contact with Triple A the entire time. Wed I went in for a HIDA scan to check the function of my gallbladder. It was this day that I received a voice mail (which I still have), to hang in there, and everything was going to be ok, to focus on taking care of my health, because I had expressed concern about my job. I knew I had just started, but I was doing my best to get to the bottom of the issue quickly and put it behind me so I could move forward with my training and this would no longer be an issue. That evening I contacted Triple A by phone. I was assured that they had actually called the main office in Pittsburgh and spoke to one of the bosses at corporate headquarters, who's husband had went through the same thing, so they understood. (Mind you, they were to hire THREE people yet I was the only one that had passed the testing so I was training alone) At one point they even offered for me to take off until my illness was resolved and come back in for training when the other two were hired and I said that was fine, BUT they pulled that offer back and wanted me to come back that week. I got a call wed night for the gastro doctor who had a cancellation for Thursday and I could not pass that up because he was booked up for months! I called in and let my trainer know.

I went in to see him, after my exam, he raised my ulcer meds, gastro pain medication and found that the er had found I had a pretty severe bladder infection that could have been causing the majority of my pain that somehow had not been diagnosed and treated that night at the ER. So I was put on antibiotics and given an excuse to stay off on Friday to give me the weekend to stabilize and get my infection and pain under control and gave me a work release for Monday with some further testing (endoscope and CT scan for later dates just to be sure everything was ok that would be sched on my days off) I was finally to the bottom of my issues and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and was relieved that the worst was over and I would be able to would be able to move forward.

That evening I got a call letting me know they were going to terminate me. SERIOUSLY! I was told I could reapply when I was well if I wanted to. WHAT? I just expressed that I had been given a RELEASE back to work for MONDAY! AND the three openings ARE STILL POSTED. I was advised to call the HR dept in PA and plead my case. I did, but I wasn't expecting anything to change, but I did want them to know I was told things were going to be fine and lead to believe everything would be ok and they understood my situation, just to get sucker punched when I got everything ironed out.

NOW don't get me wrong. I understand it wasn't their fault they hired me ill, no more than it was mine, but they could have opted out of bringing me in from the get go, or not promised me that all was well and they would work with me UNTIL the very moment I was released to come back to work to give me the ax.

IT GETS BETTER. Triple A pays two different ways, via direct deposit, or a pay card. I opted for the direct deposit. I received my pay the Friday after Thanksgiving, then received a paper check on Saturday. I knew this was an error. BUT since I had opted in for the direct deposit, I had every intention to call and speak to a human on Monday and return the paper check, as I also had some questions regarding the fact that neither pay had any info regarding hours or deductions and I would need that information to make sure I was properly compensated for the time I did put in. LOW and BEHOLD Sunday AFTER I had payed some bills with the deposit that was made, Triple A felt it necessary to RESEND the pay they direct deposited into my account WITHOUT NOTICE OR AUTHORIZATION making a huge mess of my bank account!

I signed up for the direct deposit, I gave them my information, signed all the paperwork, HOWEVER I did NOT give them permission to take money OUT OF MY BANK ACCOUNT! I think they just might have broken a law there!
    I did NOT cash the paper check that was sent to me USPS. That was not what I signed up for!

This is definitely a company who has become more concerned about the almighty dollar than the well being of their employees or their customers.

In addition while sitting with employees was informed by just about every one I sat with regarding the massive amount of backbiting and drama that goes on in the ranks, warned to just keep my head down and work. That sometimes the computers glitch out and wont allow you to clock back in in time and you will get written up for being a minute late logging in regardless if it is an equipment issue. I don't think I met anyone there that was genuinely happy. Despite having retail and customer service experience my starting wage was $9.50. I was told that standard is $9.00 SO unless you are looking for a job where people get along, are happy with pay that matches what you will experience including Mandatory Overtime, and holidays, no weekends off, management that could care less if your gallbladder could explode at any moment, they just want you to come in to work, and a company that feels they have the right to withdraw funds from your bank account without notice or authorization due to their own clerical error, I suggest you keep searching.

Don't lie, Don't reassure your new hires that you are going to work with them and then site your 'policies' after an employee suffering an illness gets a doctors release to return to work. Try putting yourself in someone elses shoes. Especially those who come to work sick, work half a day after apts and tests to show their dedication even though they aren't well. Be a human being! Don't take money out of someones bank account after you deposit it. Sometimes people live paycheck to paycheck and actions like that can take food out their children's mouths!

Fast paced training.

Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Omaha, NE

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly company, nice location, and nice facility.

Cons

In order to get assistance from a supervisor, the advocate has to put anxious customer on hold. The help line would be backed up with calls. Making an anxious customer into an angry customer.

Be available to help advocates when needed.

American Automobile Association (AAA) Photos