American Automobile Association (AAA)

www.aaa.com
  www.aaa.com

American Automobile Association (AAA) Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014

American Automobile Association (AAA) President and CEO Robert L. Darbelnet
Robert L. Darbelnet

Pros
  • They also offered 2 days Work From home, that was a great way for Work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits, nice offices and good training opportunities for employees (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management treats call center employees like slaves working in a sweat shop (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management had no idea about the working conditions in their department (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

It is what it is

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

Pros

Claim to offer as much overtime as you want. In-depth training provided.

Cons

Repetitive work with low pay.

Worst job I ever had

Former Employee - Customer Advocate I  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate I in Tampa, FL

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is NO good reason to work here unless you want benefits and even those aren't great.

Cons

Worked as "Customer Advocate" (apparently they don't know the meaning of advocate.) Just laid off in April with 128 other people. Taking road service calls. 5 page script - if you miss one item you fail the call. You are recorded. You are micromanaged to death. You cannot make any suggestions or comments. If you try to go any higher than your supervisor you are written up. There's no advancement. Also calltakers were melding into dispatchers over the past few months. Drivers have quit because they no long pay them for gone on arrival calls. I think drivers have quit or been let go because the wait times have escalated. Used to be within 45 mins - now wait time in most places 1-2 hours. So called "priority" calls (like on the interstate) are no longer a priorty tho they tell you that. Recently had to experience that first hand when broke down in Lakeland (live in Pinellas a 40 min drive). Broke down on interstate. 5 people - two elderly two diabetics. What water we had we put in car. It was rainy, getting dark, no bathroom, no food, no water. Called AAA - said it would be priority. Called an hour later to inquire where driver was and they said were having a hard time finding a driver that wanted to drive to Pinellas. Friend came and picked up the 3 ladies and the men stayed with the car. Ladies waited til driver called at 9:50 saying he would be there soon so we left. They said driver showed up at 10:10 - 3 hours after we called. (we stopped quick to go to use a restroom at a gas station) We got to our street and the tow truck was there. The guys said he drove 80 miles an hour the entire way. I wouldn't recommend anyone working here even if it was the only thing available. The stress is simply not worth it. The money is crap for what you have to go through and do. You have no say - it's just do your job and shut up. I see AAA going downhill- no one needs maps anymore with GPS and everyone can do their own travel arrangements online. Auto Vantage has a much better deal for less price and you get more (150 miles towing, home/car lockout and when you call them they can find you immediately - a technology AAA only has for 2 phone services.) Can't tell you how many calls I took where the member had no clue where they were at and expected us to find them!

AAA Car Care is a joke for a mechanic, Jiffy Lube is better!

Former Employee - Car Care Technician  in  Apex, NC
    Former Employee - Car Care Technician in Apex, NC

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time

Pros

Lifetime AAA membership
    Closed Sunday and holidays
    Uniforms paid after 90 days of service

Cons

Very low pay. Entirely commission based.
    No customers means NO MONEY!
    Bad location for a store
    High expectations for the pay
    Long, boring days
    No holiday pay

Try caring about your employees instead of profits. And stop lying to people and the government and saying you are non-profit. Everyone knows you make millions!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Conservative Company

Former Employee - Senior Ops Analyst  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Ops Analyst in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Close to home and friendly co-workers

Cons

Expect & demand too much work but not enough resources. No training on job......

Management need to work with employees to help them develop.

Company still treats the "Underlings" like it's the 1900's

Former Employee - Customer Advocate I  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate I in Omaha, NE

Pros

Paid vacation hours, sick days, 401k, "meh" benefits.

Cons

While they do give paid vacation hours, you receive 2 sick “credits” every six months if you are full time. These credits are good for one time each up to three days in a row.

Due to risk of termination, coworkers will come in to work when they are ill instead of calling in, risking the health of other coworkers (desks are partially separated by walls that are roughly 3 feet tall).

Company has been around for approximately 100 years and they have extensive knowledge about how busy it gets in the winter and summer, yet they continue to hire employees only twice a year even with a high turnover rate (I believe it was 72% last I checked) and when we can take upwards of over a million calls in a year.

They reduce and/or remove lunches and breaks during busy times and when asked if they felt it was moral to do such a thing (asked due to having a required class on morality in the workplace) they answered with, “Moral or not, it’s legal”

While there is no set script, there is a list of over a dozen things we are required to say in order to “certify” calls, if a certain number of calls do not “certify” within the month we can be reprimanded and/or eventually terminated due to failure of certification.

As well as the certification of calls, we are required to have a certain percentage of “total customer satisfaction” they use a third party to send surveys through e-mail. It is an all or none system, if the customer is not completely 100% satisfied; if they are even 99% satisfied it is considered a failure and can again be reprimanded up to termination.

Even though they are a 24 hour business, AAA hires part-time temporary positions and you can work up to being a full-time permanent employee. It was not disclosed but I assume the reasoning behind that is to avoid paying for benefits and not have to pay holiday pay either.

They have regional managers, district managers, department managers, and supervisors, as well as a QA department, all in one office. The only other company that I have worked for that micromanages at that level is Wal-Mart.

Due to the fact we handle personal information (addresses, credit card information) there are strict rules in place to not have your cell phone or any recording device out, as well as not leaving with papers, etc… It is not enforced in the slightest and I have seen coworkers on their cell phone while speaking with a member.

Get with the times, with so many other companies doing roadside assistance (BP, state farm, etc...) You no longer have a monopoly on the service.

And stop saying you're a non-profit organization!!

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

Pros

easy life, hourly pay, rewards

Cons

low pay, high speed, no team

Good company/Almost impossible to advance

Current Employee - Dispatcher  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Providence, RI

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

AAASNE is a good starting point to start a job after highschool or even college. Benefits are fantastic and the atmosphere is great as well.

Cons

The pay is not that good and advancing is very difficult. There are too many managers overseeing your day to day assignments

Show a little more respect to the employees working under you

attention licensed insurance agents interested in a solid company to work for

Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent Property & Casualty  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent Property & Casualty in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for more than a year

Pros

great team working relationships while helping consumers secure quality AAA insurance products

Cons

Required weekend work for production

restore flexible work credit for weekend over time work

Accounting

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA)

Pros

Good benefits, bonuses, medical, perks, etc

Cons

Unfair management doesn't care about employees

Very good company

Former Employee - Fleet Driver Light Service  in  Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Fleet Driver Light Service in Portland, ME

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great supervisors and training opportunities give you skills that not many mom and pop companies can offer.

Cons

Revamp the pay scale. The pay scale is severely confusing and based on number of calls/tows/batteries you sell. Even with the bonus, the pay is not enough to live off of. 10.30 an hour is lower than some fast food chains.

Take action and pay the guys more, they deserve at least 13.00 an hour for the amount of work we have to do.

Worked for American Automobile Association (AAA)? Contribute to the Community!