American Automobile Association (AAA)

www.aaa.com

American Automobile Association (AAA) Reviews in Tampa, FL

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014

American Automobile Association (AAA) President and CEO Robert L. Darbelnet
Robert L. Darbelnet

Pros
  • They also offered 2 days Work From home, that was a great way for Work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• They do have good benefits and nice coworkers (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management staff is completely unhelpful (in 13 reviews)

• Lack of communication between leaders results in finger pointing and lies ending with agents taking the fall (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Micromanaged but decent money

Current Employee - Clerk in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Clerk in Tampa, FL

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Flexible with Time off
    Easy Job
    Company Events
    Co Workers

Cons

Micromanagement no matter what level employee you are

Ease up some on employees. Trust them to do their job

Swish and Flick! We Don't Give A....

Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent Property & Casualty in Clearwater, FL

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I earned my Associates degree in "Complete Corporate Dysfunction", my Bachelors in "Exceptional Disproportionate Expectations" , my Masters in "Corporate Schizophrenia" and my PH.D in " Career Cremation". I was able to do all of this within 18 months thanks to their "C.R.Y Fund"!! (Completely Ruin You Fund)! This company is truly five star when it comes to team disintegration and moral ineptitude.

Cons

The cloud of despair that looms everywhere.

When explaining to a new victim err producer the compensation plan you may wish to consider beginning the conversation with "Once Upon A Time In A Land Far, Far Away".

Worst job I ever had

Former Employee - Customer Advocate I in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate I in Tampa, FL

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is NO good reason to work here unless you want benefits and even those aren't great.

Cons

Worked as "Customer Advocate" (apparently they don't know the meaning of advocate.) Just laid off in April with 128 other people. Taking road service calls. 5 page script - if you miss one item you fail the call. You are recorded. You are micromanaged to death. You cannot make any suggestions or comments. If you try to go any higher than your supervisor you are written up. There's no advancement. Also calltakers were melding into dispatchers over the past few months. Drivers have quit because they no long pay them for gone on arrival calls. I think drivers have quit or been let go because the wait times have escalated. Used to be within 45 mins - now wait time in most places 1-2 hours. So called "priority" calls (like on the interstate) are no longer a priorty tho they tell you that. Recently had to experience that first hand when broke down in Lakeland (live in Pinellas a 40 min drive). Broke down on interstate. 5 people - two elderly two diabetics. What water we had we put in car. It was rainy, getting dark, no bathroom, no food, no water. Called AAA - said it would be priority. Called an hour later to inquire where driver was and they said were having a hard time finding a driver that wanted to drive to Pinellas. Friend came and picked up the 3 ladies and the men stayed with the car. Ladies waited til driver called at 9:50 saying he would be there soon so we left. They said driver showed up at 10:10 - 3 hours after we called. (we stopped quick to go to use a restroom at a gas station) We got to our street and the tow truck was there. The guys said he drove 80 miles an hour the entire way. I wouldn't recommend anyone working here even if it was the only thing available. The stress is simply not worth it. The money is crap for what you have to go through and do. You have no say - it's just do your job and shut up. I see AAA going downhill- no one needs maps anymore with GPS and everyone can do their own travel arrangements online. Auto Vantage has a much better deal for less price and you get more (150 miles towing, home/car lockout and when you call them they can find you immediately - a technology AAA only has for 2 phone services.) Can't tell you how many calls I took where the member had no clue where they were at and expected us to find them!

Horrible company since the merger took over!!! They do not value their employees at all.

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Love the employees there. Also, you have some freedom and are not really micromanaged, depending on the manager.

Cons

Terrible benefits, terrible claims handling practices, no training department/plan, dinosaur computer systems, you never have the tools needed to complete your every day job functions, promised things which never happen. Lots of "behind your back" talking by management. TERRIBLE BONUSES! TERRIBLE COMPENSATION!! TERRIBLE HIRING DECISIONS!!!

Pay what people are really worth, express interest in those who are of value to the company, reward those who work the hardest for you, hire employees that actually have a brain ... or better yet experience. Oh, and background checks on new hire candidates would be nice too! Half of the people you are hiring have been FIRED from their prior companies and are lying to you about it!!!! Promote within.

Great co-workers!

Former Employee - .NET Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - .NET Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

People to work with were great
    Workload was okay. They also offered 2 days Work From home, that was a great way for Work-life balance.

Cons

Compensation was not the best, but was okay.

Call Center

Current Employee - Operator in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Operator in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits were pretty good.

Cons

They are closing all but one call center in FL. Short on staff since they are shutting down centers.

Greedy Company, Low Pay, Only worried about commissions.

Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Tampa, FL

I worked at American Automobile Association (AAA) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing positive to say about the company at all. They work you to death and do everything they can to maintain your quota without giving the employee a chance to attain them.

Cons

Management has blinders on, very unprofessional, quotas are the number one priority along with treating and paying their employees like trash.

Shape up, Become more professional and get back to the basics of treating employees fairly and in return they will be more productive. Also, PLEASE upgrade your computers and software and do not be so concerned about override comissions instead focus on the CUSTOMER....

it is okay. better than some agent positions but not the best

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Tampa, FL

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

Pros

aaa has a great reputation

Cons

aaa is a small company

n/a

groundhogs day meets office space

Current Employee - Account Executive II in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive II in Tampa, FL

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

Pros

family friendly and flexible hours

Cons

repetitive mistakes by multiple people, lack of ownership and accountability in entire marketing dept

dont count senority as indicator of intelligence, skills, or competence

Jekyll & Hyde

Current Employee - Insurance Customer Service (Call Center) in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Insurance Customer Service (Call Center) in Tampa, FL

I have been working at American Automobile Association (AAA)

Pros

Flexible work hours, depending upon area of responsiblity

Cons

Public Relations department slicker than graphite; image portrayed does not reflect company's inner workings. Management is cold, indifferent and insensitive. Foul language routinely used by mid-management (in mixed company) and seems to be a proud tradition. Overall, mindset is a quarter century behind times. Salaried employees routinely work long hours (45+ is the norm).

Be honest, and treat employees with respect - you are not always right. Practice the courtesy that's projected to the public. Refrain managers from running (some) departments as if we are in a third world country. Plan projects and goals reasonably, if you can.

American Automobile Association (AAA) Photos