American Axle & Manufacturing
www.aam.com Detroit, MI 5000+ Employees

American Axle & Manufacturing Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2014
American Axle & Manufacturing – US – “Minerva”

American Axle & Manufacturing Co-Founder & Executive Chairman of the Board Richard E. Dauch

Richard E. Dauch

Top work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time for more than a year

Proscompany culture, hours, co-workers, facility

Conscareer opportunities, minimal advancement opps

AAM/ Accugear

Machine Operator (Current Employee)
Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay here is good and their is an opportunity to work lots of overtime. The work is light industrial work and is very easy to do.

ConsYou work 7 days a week most of the time and there is a strict attendance policy. Management is not very organized.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you order enough materials to be able to properly make the gears that are needed by your customers and hire more maitenance, so machines can be repaired in a timely manner.

No work/life balance, lie to employees about time off and work schedule

Salaried Employee (Former Employee)
Three Rivers, MI

I worked at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time for less than a year

ProsThe work I was performing was satisfying and challenging. Coworkers were friendly.

ConsThe company expects you to work 80 hours per week with NO days off. The holiday schedule they give you means nothing, they make you come in on the days they told you would be days off when they hire you. There are way too many bosses in the plant and not enough worker bees. Management will not give you a quick or straight forward answer because there are so many layers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more associates so people can have days off and maintain a personal life. The employees in your company are beyond burned out, and that is why most of your workforce has been employed with the company for a short period of time (2 years or less). Don't lie to potential hires about work schedule.

Decent company to work for

Co-op (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at American Axle & Manufacturing part-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay rate for interns. Nice offices.

ConsInterns are cycled randomly through the company, not every rotation will be relevant to your future career goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow interns to pick tehir rotations so they can learn more about their areas of interest.

Great experience for an internship position

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at American Axle & Manufacturing as an intern for less than a year

ProsHaving been my first experience in the workplace, I was unsure of what to expect. This company was amazing to work for: it challenged me in a healthy way, and allowed me to develop in my areas of expertise

ConsNone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage innovative and creative ideas out of your younger workers.

Great Company

Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee)

I worked at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat place to work and great people

ConsThe future not very secure

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

American Axle id a great place to work! The people are fantastic

Materials (Current Employee)
Three Rivers, MI

I have been working at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time for less than a year

ProsManagement allows you the freedom to get your job done with little interference. Ability to cross train and move from job to job. Great overtime posibilites, awesome benefits package

ConsSmall parking lot and a lot of raw materials spread out

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Good People, Product and Process

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company expects the best from their suppliers of machinery. Always had top notch equipment with a State of the Art mindset.

ConsThere is a mindset in the organization that the Executive Leadership team is entitled to huge amounts of money and the common worker is deserving of pennies. The Executive Leadership team does not think very highly of the UAW workforce and has an anti-American Worker attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways remember where you came from even if it means your EBITA is impacted. The Global Umbrella is changing and you might need some good American workers

Less organized but more opportunities

Senior Product Engineer (Current Employee)
Rochester Hills, MI

I have been working at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay, flexible time. Great opportunity to grow.

ConsLess diversified products. Lack of long term plans. Managers push for best results with least investment, and no patience. Depending on groups, some are good, and some are bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is the part that I don't like much. Managers don't do their job well. Too much overlap and overhead. They like to teach you how to do your job.

Richard Dauche treated his employees worthy,from top to bottom we all loved working there and the wages were great

Quality Operator (Former Employee)

ProsDick Dauche will be missed R.I.P.,

ConsLacking communication from upper Management. Never thought we would close down. We were missed lead. Would have gotten out sooner

Advice to Senior ManagementBring job's back to Detroit

Worked for American Axle & Manufacturing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Axle & Manufacturing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Axle & Manufacturing CEO Richard E. Dauch. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by American Axle & Manufacturing employees.