American Bank Holdings

Add Photos

James E. Plack

Good Company with Solid Opportunities

I have been working at American Bank Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStrong turn times, expanding product offerings, corporate focus on closing loans by mid-month and end of month deadlines, very strong compensation for sales producers and good benefits.

ConsSmaller/mid-size bank that does not have national name recognition

Bait and switch.

Loan Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at American Bank Holdings full-time for more than a year

ProsYou will meet some good people working at the office in Columbus Oh. Unfortunately, these people are not in the position to affect the attitudes and the lack of business ethics that are practiced by management.

ConsManagement is dishonest about what to expect, disrespectful, and lazy. Products offered are nowhere near competitive. The bank's loan approval standards are too high. Lies, Lies, and more Lies.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not insult the intelligence of your employees with lies and deception. Find ways to become more competitive in the market that do not involve bad faith estimates and bait and switch tactics. Pray that no one reports the company to the office of the comptroller of the currency for the fraud that is practiced daily at "American Bank" or "American FSB" or whatever else they change their name to, to avoid their bad reputation.

American Bank Account Manager Program

I worked at American Bank Holdings as an intern for less than a year

ProsLearned how to overcome objections and mitigate client complaints.

ConsWas placed on the phones during the first day with almost zero training. the Job is very boring and tedious

Great Pay, Lousy Management

Greenbelt, MD

I worked at American Bank Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay.....that is about it! Benefits are not good though.

ConsRude, disrespectful, abusive management including President Plack. Shameful the way the managers talk to and treat employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow-up, should have been several lawsuits due to mistreatment of employees. Plack checks his email and takes calls during important meetings - showing complete disrespect to his staff. Managers verbally and mentally abuse their employees.
Board is cocky and flies by the seat of their pants. I would not do business with this crackpot of a bank.

All about the numbers

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at American Bank Holdings full-time for less than a year

ProsWorked with great people, the hours are flexible, and the overall environment is pretty relaxed. Occasional half-days on Fridays.

ConsAs an account manager, I was told to get the mortgage bankers in touch with as many potential customers as possible, regardless of their credit history or current mortgage situation. The company claimed to want to help people, but why waste people's time if they aren't eligible for a loan anyway? Had to deal with a lot of angry customers due to them being contacted multiple times a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to preach that your company is "customer service oriented", then back it up. Push more for quality of each customer interaction, rather than quantity of calls per day.

Terrible work environment.

Loan Officer (Former Employee)
Columbia, MD

I worked at American Bank Holdings

Pros- Good training if you want to be a loan officer. However you are thrown to the wolves and better be able to pick things up own your own. The sales manager is there to help you but most of the time wont b/c they are to overwhelmed with responsibilities.

Conslong hours.
Months until you see your commission.
100% commission pay.
Revolving door, training new people every month.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire another manager or two. Current sales managers have way to many responsibilities and not enough time to help their loan officers.

Environment has taken a hit

Mortgage Banker (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Bank Holdings

ProsManagers are good. Not working past 40 hours. A lot of flexibility when it comes to the day to day actions of each employee.

ConsThe leads have been recycled over and over. Often talking to hostile customer who are just fed up of being called. Company says they are customer service oriented when they are not.

Employees poorly treated

Bethesda, MD

I worked at American Bank Holdings

ProsPay is competitive. Company is supposedly profitable.

ConsPoor treatment of employees -- verbal and mental harassment. HR is pretty much non-existent since only one person who sides with President on every issue. Benefits (insurance, retirement, etc.) stink. Can't trust Senior Managment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees the way you would want to be treated. Money does not offset the mental anguish caused by Senior Staff members. Train Managers on how to manage people.

Huge turn around, Regional Manager is clueless..

Branch Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Bank Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros(Some) Retail banking employees are friendly

ConsHuge turnaround
miniscule raises
Regional Manager isn't the brightest
No bonuses
Asked to do work that isn't detailed in job description W/O additional pay
No incentive program
lacks employee comradery

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at an established banks (i.e Eaglebank, Bank of Georgetown, etc) business model and try to learn something.

Worked for American Bank Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Bank Holdings reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Bank Holdings CEO James E. Plack. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by American Bank Holdings employees.