American Bar Association

Stephen N. Zack

Great Place to Get a Start

Current Employee - Meetings Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Meetings Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Bar Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Lots of chances to travel to great locations
    - Great work/life balance
    - Great benefits, i.e., vacation time, health benefits, 401k, free gym in the building
    - Summer hours (makes the summer season fly by)

Cons

- Not much upward mobility
    - Pay is not the greatest
    - Low morale at times amongst staff
    - lack of camaradere amongst the different Sections and Divisions

The ABA needs to work on bringing the Association as a whole into the next generation if they want to thrive. Although to their credit the upper management is starting to implement some new ideas to help with outdated technology and procedures.

Good company to begin career at...but not stay with long-term, Many Pros & Cons

Former Employee - Meetings Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Meetings Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Bar Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I would begin with saying the Section I worked with was a laid-back environment for the most part. When I first joined the ABA and began my career with the Section of Litigation in 2011, the management was in a state of turn-over and I did not feel like I had any strong direction or mentors to turn too. New Management and Directors were hired and this was a huge positive. The travel I was able to do in my position was also a pro. Benefits and time-off policies are also two pros. The Work / Life balance was also great.

Cons

Not much room for personal growth, at times felt very under appreciated for the work being done. Verbally harassed by members several times with little to no repercussion. You can feel very taken advantage of.
    Salary increases and bonus' basically do not exist.

Certain Senior Managers make this an AWFUL place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Bar Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, members are great, and office space it nice

Cons

Terrible certain Senior Managers, no room for advancement, people in senior position with little or no education.

Change certain Senior Managers. These older literally un-educated Senior Managers are doing harm!

Some Depts Good; Organizational Culture Becoming Worse

I worked at American Bar Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some staff & members sincerely committed to mission; doing important work to advance justice and improve legal field

Cons

Some senior staff consistently committing unethical behavior; culture deteriorating in some departments with low staff morale

A good place to start your career, but you don't want to stay.

Former Employee - Contractor
    Former Employee - Contractor

I worked at American Bar Association

Pros

This is a great place to start right out of college. Depending your position, you get a lot of contact with members, bosses, and other departments.

Cons

The association is rigid with processes and does not allow for creativity. Many employees have been there for more than 20 years or longer so there is no room for growth unless you change departments (sections/divisions).

Figure out ways to reward employees who take initiative; get rid of lengthy processes when working with vendors, i.e. contracts getting signed, deposits paid, etc.; and consider retiring people who have been there for as long as they have and don't produce much for the organization.

Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Bar Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is organization is very well connected. You will meet amazing professionals who will inspire you to keep doing the work you love. The ABA is also a much sought out authority throughout the country on many different legal issues.

Cons

The ABA is not very well organized. There is a lot of political fighting between various divisions of the organization. There is absolutely no training for new comers (so you are on your own). I think this is a very prestigious organization that lives up to it's reputation in terms of the type of work it does. But the employees are not treated very well and it's hard to cut through all the bull that makes up the organization.

None. I sat on several committees to help improve the organization and my suggestions were never implemented. I think it's nice that Management sets up committees but most people know that not much will happen based on the committees and use it more as a way to network with other legal professionals.

Excellent Company to work for

Current Contractor - Junior Web Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Junior Web Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Bar Association as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It's a great company to work for if you can land a role. I've managed to land one role and absolutely loved working there.

Cons

It's very hard to land a permanent role there and it seems they interview a bunch of people to just meet a quota.

Section marketing

I worked at American Bar Association

Pros

HR Benefits are great
    Coworkers are typically nice
    Members are hard working
    Staff has a great team Culture
    Travel is fun

Cons

Budget woes
    Low pay
    Long hours
    Staff technology systems are outdated
    Sometimes members are difficult
    High volume of work, not enough pay or resources

A good opportunity; interesting co-workers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Bar Association part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The ABA was a very interesting place to work; the issues we dealt with were making headlines and it was very enlightening to see how attorneys think -- they always have to understand both sides of an issue. The person I worked for at the ABA had been there a long time and knew the organization and the issues inside-out. I was treated very fairly and I learned a lot.

Cons

Because there were several managers in our area who had been with the organization for many years, there were few opportunities for others in our group to advance. The pace seemed slower than at other associations where I'd worked.

Consider creating more opportunities for advancement, while making the most of managers who have considerable institutional knowledge.

Overall it was a good experience when I worked for my original hiring and supervising manager.

Former Employee - Manager of Law Student Membership Recruitment in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager of Law Student Membership Recruitment in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Bar Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My hiring manager was wonderful and a great manager, he left after 2 and a half years to pursue other opportunities.

Cons

Please see my comments to management below.

I was not given any job description whatsoever for my newly created position when I was hired. As a result, after my hiring and supervising manager left the organization after two and a half wonderful years working together my experience was less than positive. I began to look for other opportunities but the economy was in shambles so it was very difficult to leave and find a more rewarding position elsewhere in Chicago.

American Bar Association Photos