American Bridge Company

Updated August 11, 2014
Updated August 11, 2014
3.6

Bob Luffy

GREAT company to work for!

Former Employee - Ironworker in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Ironworker in Wilmington, NC

I worked at American Bridge Company as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They put safety first and address any concerns immediately. They hire union labor and pay union wages and benefits.

Cons

The only downside is that the labor hired is contract work, so unless you are a superintendent or better, there's not much chance for long term employment.

Keep doing what you're doing.

I loved my engineering internship with AB, but I couldn't see it working long term.

Former Employee - Intern in Coraopolis, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Coraopolis, PA

I worked at American Bridge Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I felt that my skills were appreciated and respected, even though I was at the bottom of the totem pole as an intern. They were very flexible with work hours, and I felt that employees were basically happy; it seemed like you could have a good work/life balance if you wanted it. Management is very interested in having employees continue their education and improve their skills. The company culture inspires people to be friendly, active, fun-loving, and social with one another. Senior management mingles with interns without any air of superiority.

Cons

There seems to be a set "track" to follow as a new hire if you are an engineer, which generally involves moving a lot for 5 years, which might not work if you have a family or are part of a two-career couple; I can see the merit in this approach, but requiring it probably costs them quite a few very talented potential employees who could easily telecommute and just travel for occasional meetings. They seem reluctant to create new positions outside of that track if somebody presents a unique skill set; I think this could really hold them back when it comes to embracing new technology, which advances rapidly. As somebody who is very interested in keeping up with new technology and figuring out how to apply new tools to real world engineering problems, I didn't feel like AB had a career path consistent with my goals; with few exceptions, it seems like every engineer who wants a long term career with the company ends up on a management track instead of becoming an expert in any type of engineering technology.

Don't be afraid of new ideas. If you want to remain on the cutting edge, don't be afraid to hire somebody with a skill set in a developing area, and create a new position for them. If it isn't working out after a year, you won't have suffered a great loss, but being at the forefront of new technology and new ideas could give you the leg up on your competitors that makes all the difference.

WAS an outstanding company - Until New Senior Management moved in !

Former Employee - Administration in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Administration in Tampa, FL

I worked at American Bridge Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

OUTSTANDING !!!!!!! company benefits.
    Up until recently, very good work ethics.
    Some what of a "good old boy" attitude but it is easy to ignor.
    Corporate Management staff is worth their weight in gold, however not much to be said for the Southeastern Regional Management Staff.

Cons

I was with this company for many years and thought that I would retire from its service with full honors, however after new senior managemant moved in all senior management staff associated with the former administration was given the pink slipre some of the downsides of working at American Bridge Company - Tampa Division.

It would never do any good as they are all to set in their ways. Too bad they did not learn from the former administration.

Unique, challenging, and a growth experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at American Bridge Company

Pros

One of a kind bridge projects working with unique structures. Work with many people with long resumes of large civil bridge and unique structures experience. Opportunity to "invent" means and methods and create ways to accomplish work that has never been performed before. Compensation is good and company wide bonuses are given if the company has a good finicial year. World wide jobs/option to travel. Extra living allowance provided as extra compensation. 401k with up to 5% matching contribution from company. Blue cross Blue shield PPO -$10 deductible. Good life insurance.

Cons

Long hours and large work load. An ever changing schedule with major deadlines and time critical aspects can make the job very stressful. Large upper management with mediocre communication to lower levels creates confusion and causes difficulties, very unclear hierarchy. Unclear promotional path, minimal time to participate in extra activities including ongoing learning or certification. Unsure of future job/work/placement/salary. Minimal salary increase each year and at lower level promotions. Unclear/undefined responsibilities.

More employee feedback, any sort of job performance incentive would be a great bonus. Clear responsibilities and hierarchy. Explain and be open about career path and the actual opportunities within the company, with time frame and promotions outlined in some manner. a greater focus on training employees, including certification and continuing learning-providing opportunities for employees to continue to grow within and for the company.

Painful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coraopolis, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coraopolis, PA

I worked at American Bridge Company

Pros

Their salary and benefit package was wonderful. History of the company made it a place where you could be proud to work. Apparently great place to work if you were not in the accounting department.

Cons

There was a great inequity of work schedules and expectations between individuals within the department. Extraordinarily high turnover in the accounting department making it difficult to complete a job with so many new people so frequently. Accounting management did not see turnover as an issue and did not address defined issues. Favored staff members were treated better than others. Work demands were often unreasonable and under appreciated. Management did not help during crunch time but rather left near 5 and left employees to complete tasks.

Communicate positives as well as negatives. Do not leave reviews with a negative feel. Create better equity in regard to work schedules and allow compensatory time when excessive overtime is performed. Team work is important but so is individual recognition.

American Bridge

Current Employee - Intern, Civil Engineer
    Current Employee - Intern, Civil Engineer

I have been working at American Bridge Company

Pros

As an intern you have direct contact with the chief of engineering and other resident engineers who are very helpful. The environment is fairly relaxed and you are given as much responsibility as you can handle.

Cons

Most work is in the office as an intern, job sites are not easily accessible as they are around the country. Once hired on, employees must relocate for each project.

I don't any suggestions for the company. American Bridge is a quality company, but requires individuals who are devoted and willing to move around.