American Campus Communities

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

3.1

William C. Bayless Jr.

Pros
  • You also learn a lot about customer service and sales - which can be really helpful in the future (in 5 reviews)

• Great teamwork, fun work environment, great people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is pretty bad but what can you do (in 7 reviews)

• not just part-time student staff, but also full-time leasing staff and support staff (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome culture and great people!

Former Employee - Community Assistant  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Community Assistant in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at American Campus Communities part-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked as a community assistant for less than a year. I relocated to another city, where ACC wasn't located unfortunately. I really enjoyed my time with ACC. The culture was pleasant and professional. They were very accommodating with my my school schedule. I was attracted to the growth opportunities for they promote within.

Cons

As a college student, I would suggest more benefits. Maybe furthering education opportunities.

The apartment complex where I was a CA was run down and needed major improvements. I think remodeling would be beneficial to the residents and prospective residents.

Great College Job

Former Employee - Community Assistant  in  San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Community Assistant in San Marcos, TX

I worked at American Campus Communities part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Experience, Free Rent, Get to see crazy angry people, and this job is NOT monotonous.

Cons

If you need money for food, too bad, they pay for your rent, and that is all. This company sells a product to very rich college students.

Don't play favorites

Great Company culture!

Former Employee - Human Resources Related  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Related in Austin, TX

I worked at American Campus Communities full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked in the corporate office and found:
    Friendly people
    Good Benefits
    Beautiful Office
    Down-to-Earth vibe
    Travel opportunities
    Friday afternoons off in the summer
    I only left so soon for a different opportunity for a different field.

Cons

Travel required for some positions, to some mildly boring places. Really no other cons to speak of, it was pretty much anything I could have ever asked for in a corporate office position. I loved it!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was a community assistant in one of their Irvine, CA housing properties, catering to UC Irvine students.

Former Employee - Community Assistant  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Community Assistant in Irvine, CA

I worked at American Campus Communities full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Free housing near campus
    -Independence to create unique programs for residents
    -Ability to choose which dates to be in the office
    -Student positions sometimes lead to professional staff positions upon graduation
    -High set of values
    -Great professional staff and support

Cons

-Set bi-weekly stipend, regardless of how many hours worked (may be different now)
    -Inconsistent weekly schedule, sometimes requiring student staff to work over the stated maximum of 15 hours a week

Continue to encourage the personal growth and professional development of your general managers, which will trickle down to your student staff across all your properties. Consider using an hourly wage, so student staff will earn the money they receive.

Good experience/bad attitudes

Former Employee - Community Assistant  in  Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Community Assistant in Denton, TX

I worked at American Campus Communities full-time for less than a year

Pros

Experience Knowledge Growth Students Campus

Cons

Management Time Stress Organization level Culture

Be aware of your demeanor

It's a circus

Current Employee - Maintenance Tech  in  Valdosta, GA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Valdosta, GA

I have been working at American Campus Communities full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free stuff left over from residents.Can receive training in other areas.Free fitness room,tanning beds,game room and pool. Laid back at times.

Cons

Pay is very low for task that are completed.Nobody has a clue to what is going on due to lack of communication.Upper management is a joke ether don't want to be there or was moved up by luck and not skill. Long hours from lack of communications between office and maintenance.

Stop promoting lazy and unhelpful mangers.Look at the property before sending someone there to just fill the spot and don't force others to work at a location.

There are great employees with in the company that are being over looked!!!

Great experience for a college student.

Current Employee - Community Assistant  in  College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Community Assistant in College Station, TX

I have been working at American Campus Communities part-time for more than a year

Pros

They work around your school schedule.

Cons

You only get paid after working 18 hours (they do cover the cost of housing, food, and parking though)

A more direct line of open communication.

Working with ACC is definitely the best job a college student can have to help cut the cost of living expenses.

Current Employee - Community Assistant  in  College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Community Assistant in College Station, TX

Pros

Free housing, food. Part time work with flexible scheduling. Great advancement opportunities. Great staff and management

Cons

No real cons, but doesn't have that "adult job" feeling. Don't receive pay beyond free room and board.

Love my management, higher pay would always be nice as don't receive pay beyond room and board.

ACC- I would not work there ever again.

Former Employee - Community Assistant
    Former Employee - Community Assistant

I worked at American Campus Communities part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office experience. Look great on a résumé. They work around your specified school schedule, not extracurriculars.

Cons

No acknowledgment of your skills unless you are best friends with superiors. The better you are at appearing like you do work the more recognition you get even if it is detrimental to everyone else. Encouraged to take advantage of down time and not increase the office pace. Told to let people wait in office until your good and ready to help them.
    Told to lie to prospects about property!

Respect the students you employ because they are the face of the company and work hater than anyone else in the company. Do not hire/promote friends or family. Promote those who have the investors and the company in mind not those who stroke your ego.

They may not build Animal House, but the company is run like it.

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at American Campus Communities full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Your office is located in a destination retail center in Lakeway
    * You get a discount in that destination retail center full of juicy couture clad stay at home moms and their children and you will be 30 minutes from downtown Austin
    * You will get a benefits package
    * You will be surrounded by so many young people who also loathe their jobs as much as you or more
    * You will get a paycheck and be able to say you have a job

Cons

* You will be working for the antithesis of an Austin-based company in culture, location, complete lack of sustainability/green practices and work environment
    * You will experience that other companies and universities say that you are working for the devil, and you will begin to believe them when you see that it could be true
    * Your office will be a cubicle and your manager will expect you to be at said desk more than 50 hours a week
    * Your pay will be so low as to not be commensurate with other jobs in Austin

* Grow up
    * Stop hiring your buddies who are unqualified to run the company
    * Your ability to take advantage of the people of a down economy is coming to an end
    * Don't just try to make yourselves look better with fake reviews and instead make a better company

Worked for American Campus Communities? Contribute to the Community!