American Campus Communities

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

William C. Bayless Jr.

Pros
  • Great teamwork, fun work environment, great people(in 6 reviews)

• You also learn a lot about customer service and sales - which can be really helpful in the future(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is pretty bad but what can you do(in 7 reviews)

• not just part-time student staff, but also full-time leasing staff and support staff(in 4 reviews)

Great experience for a college student.

Community Assistant (Current Employee) College Station, TX

ProsThey work around your school schedule.

ConsYou only get paid after working 18 hours (they do cover the cost of housing, food, and parking though)

Advice to Senior ManagementA more direct line of open communication.

Working with ACC is definitely the best job a college student can have to help cut the cost of living expenses.

Community Assistant (Current Employee) College Station, TX

ProsFree housing, food. Part time work with flexible scheduling. Great advancement opportunities. Great staff and management

ConsNo real cons, but doesn't have that "adult job" feeling. Don't receive pay beyond free room and board.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove my management, higher pay would always be nice as don't receive pay beyond room and board.

Young and fun company, less than stellar pay.

Assistant General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe work environment is young and fun, and the employees are all like-minded. Working with residents can be rewarding, and there is plenty of room for advancement on the lower levels.

ConsPay is below industry standard. Upper management and executives make decisions based on greed, and may have lost touch with how site level activities really are. No high level risk management.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdopt a more bottom-up approach to risk and quality management. Offer more support to site staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome corporate culture

Leasing Manager (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsWhen you get into ACC you are pretty much set. They love hiring internally and all the properties are different its a truly great experience.

ConsAll managers are not as hands on as others. Some people are there for their salary and not the experiences.

Former Community Assistant

Community Assistant (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsGreat way to enter the student housing field. Great working environment. Friendly people.

ConsPolitical at times. It can be really tricky getting time off, especially when their are black out periods.

All in all, an experience that made me grow and develop through dealing with incompetent and inefficient management.

Community Assistant (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat place to live while in school

ConsThe free rent is not worth dealing with ACC as an employer and landlord. Their daily actions and decisions are unethical and will put you between a rock and a hard place, at times. The office runs purely on politically means, where skill and merit hold no value.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe list goes on and on.

Property burn out.

Property Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsAverage salary is fair to middle of the road.

ConsThey will run you into the ground if allowed. They non stop you.The combination of no work life & personal life balance will burn you out.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch your RPM 's they are not infallible and it is too bad when they throw the employees under the bus to save there own job.

Community Desk Assistant

Community Desk Assistant (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsSimple job, able to do homework at the desk, flexible hours.

ConsMany students are uninformed about policies we enforced.

Good starting point for a college student.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat first time leasing experience.

ConsWork life balance very difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue community assistants a bit more.

Nice place to work

Pros1. Very friendly atmosphere
    2. Pretty flexible
    3. Opportunities to move up
    4. Easy to get used to the "flow" of things

Cons1. Sometimes inefficient management
    2. Sometimes slow to change
    3. Can feel separated from different entities within the company

Worked for American Campus Communities? Contribute to the Community!