American Campus Communities

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

William C. Bayless Jr.

Pros:
  • "You also learn a lot about customer service and sales - which can be really helpful in the future"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Fast paced, exciting environment that can keep one busy"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is pretty bad but what can you do"
    in 6 reviews
  • "not just part-time student staff, but also full-time leasing staff and support staff"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A company that supports and values personal growth amongst company growth

I have been working at American Campus Communities

ProsAs a college student ACC works with my class schedule, allows me to exercise my vacation time such as spring break, winter break, etc. but they also help promote personal growth through supporting my my education.

ConsThe pay is extremely low even for a college student, but especially for a salesman. I say low, because 18 hours a week pays for your rent and then anything over that provides a minimum wage pay out. This is not enough to fund groceries. The other downside is that a Community Assistant is essentially a Leasing Consultant, meaning we are the sales force of the company, the life blood. Yet they do not provide a commission or any other bonus incentives to promote sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncorporate a commission incentive to increase sales.

Community Assistant

Senior Community Assistant (Former Employee)
Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at American Campus Communities part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI worked here in college and was over the community assistants, nothing full time but had the potential for a career after graduation. The job offered a great learning experience, along with practical real world applications. We dealt directly with tenants, parents, and even some contractors (I did, but most didn't). They offered flexible hours, and other, subtle less important, perks. Finally your ability to move up in the company depended solely upon your work ethic. If you worked for it, you were climbing the ladder and doing it quickly.

ConsAmerican Campus was always tight in the financial department. They always seems to want everything for nothing, which usually led to lack luster programs and little turnout for any events we put together. When it came to hiring college students I could never offer competitive pay, which meant we had a higher turnover rate than I liked.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen the budgeting reigns a bit and offer competitive compensation packages for the student side. We would have had much more eager assistants, and a better community feel.

Decent

Community Assistant (Former Employee)
Albuquerque, NM

I worked at American Campus Communities part-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with other college students and making an impact

ConsSomewhat strict. Not too much interaction with full time staff. Poor communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and make time for CAs

Great job to get in the industry of student housing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Campus Communities full-time for less than a year

ProsThe job is fun, the students are a lot of fun to work with, and the benefits are above average.

ConsThe pay is low, and if you are hoping to be promoted you are basically in line behind every other person in your position across the country waiting for the next spot

Community Assistant (Current Employee)
Prairie View, TX

I have been working at American Campus Communities part-time for less than a year

ProsGood work environment. Very good company to work for. Gives good incetives. Shows good faith in its workers or employees rather. Very company.

ConsA few projects here and there and being on call. Very good company to work for. Gives good incetives. Shows good faith in its workers or employees rather. Very company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnhance pay.

Bookkeeper- 1.5 years

Bookkeeper (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Campus Communities full-time for more than a year

ProsMaybe you can use your title to benefit you.

ConsDon't count on gaining reliable skills. While there are some great opportunities in this vastly expanding company, in my experience, management has negated it all. Management is unpredictable and extremely bad at communicating not only with residents, but with employees as well. Be prepared to work a 12 hour day on your day off with no notice. Be prepared to enter a middle school locker room every morning when you go into work. Racism, Sexism, Agism all very much alive. I am very confused by the reviews claiming the insurance is good... mainly because it is not. At the property I work for the GM is literally the only one who has insurance because it is very... very expensive with ACC. If you work for this company, please stay in contact with HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting employees that have no leadership skills.

Too political

Corporate employee (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at American Campus Communities full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people who work and the general ACC community are fantastic. Plus, the benefits are great.

ConsThey constantly overload you with more work than your job requires. Especially if you're on salary because they won't have to pay you overtime. Also, it's a very political company, even higher ups have alliances. Too much jobs are given to family members/spouses. But most of all, the biggest downfall this company has is not utilizing the talent of the people who work there.

Average management, easy work, no room for advancement

Community Assistant (Former Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Campus Communities part-time for more than a year

ProsMy position was not taxing, paid well for the nature of the work (sitting at a desk and occasionally greeting people), and the environment was altogether tolerable.

ConsThere is no room for advancement or raises for hourly employees, so this engenders a sense of complacency among staff-- and varying work ethics as a result. In addition, management could be seen as capricious and unprofessional (though I myself had a good relationship with my supervisors).

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild in a way to incentivize the good workers on your staff.

Not Great, but Not Terrible Either.

Leasing Manager (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at American Campus Communities full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat training and environment to work in. Cutting edge in marketing and industry standards.

ConsVery strict on the career path that you must take to advance. Not very likely to advance if you do not want to travel or relocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt helps to trust local management on marketing and promotional ideas. It is also helpful to equally compensate employees for job done and not where they came from. Helpful to be punctual in communication with site management and work for them.

Expansive company with a lot of room for movement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Campus Communities

ProsFlexibility, time, breaks, management, structure

Consenvironment, management, hours, pay, culture

Advice to Senior Managementkeep an eye on regional offices

Worked for American Campus Communities? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Campus Communities reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Campus Communities CEO William C. Bayless Jr. All 80 reviews posted anonymously by American Campus Communities employees.