American Cancer Society

Updated December 19, 2014
3.3

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • ACS offers really good hours which gives you the ability to have true work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 54 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

28 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

It's been delightful

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

You work with great people

Cons

Caseload can keep you busy if you don't keep up, they have a weird "sick time" policy where you can't have "unscheduled absences" more than twice in a "rolling quarter", Full-Time is actually only 37.5 hrs a wk so you get paid less

The Titanic of the Non-Profit World

Current Employee - Patient Resource Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible hours, ample PTO, mission-driven organization, clean facilities

Cons

The directors at the Patient Service Center are out of touch with the needs of the call-center staff. Low pay for those with advanced degrees. I worked at the American Cancer Society for 3 years at both the Patient Service Center and the Quitline (quit smoking program). The Quitline seemed well organized, structured and stable. The Patient Service Center felt more like a sinking ship. Constant turnover surrounded by lay offs and constantly changing policies led to a feeling of helplessness and chaos. I left on a Monday afternoon and never came back.

Listen to your front-line staff. Offer schedule changes when needed. Do not appear untouchable or distant.

Supportive Working Environment

Current Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

ACS is a well respected non-profit organization that treats its employees well. I work at the National Cancer Information Center (NCIC) in Austin, TX. There is constant opportunities to better one's knowledge and skill set. Supervisors and management are very supportive. Great benefits, PTO, VTO, paid holidays, health insurance, etc.

Cons

The job is high demanding, but this should be obvious. Cancer is ever prevalent in our community as is patient needs making call volume high. Plus, NCIC is open 24/7/365.

None

Dissatisfying and Disappointing

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Good mission, however I'm not sure that mission is being met. Great funding in the past 100 years that has led to great advances in cancer research over the past 100 years that have really changed how the disease is managed, however I don't think there are current strides to make progressive changes. Good to normal benefits, but poor pay as expected with a non-profit.

Cons

Poor office culture at least in my regional office, no enthusiasm in employees or management. It takes so long to make any progressive changes to the point that innovation is basically discouraged. Policies implemented in the 80s are still current, little to no technology. Disconnected from the needs of the current healthcare system. I was very surprised that my coworkers have no knowledge of the Affordable Care Act or other current issues in healthcare. Closed door policy.

Encourage innovation and change. It's the only way to affect healthcare and cancer treatment.

Great company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

ACS offers a really good work environment and supports a great mission. It's nice that there are jobs available all over the country. The medical benefits I had were GREAT and they offered several options. ACS offers really good hours which gives you the ability to have true work/life balance.

Cons

Low pay (in a non-profit it's kind of expected!), limited room for growth depending on your desired areas.

Good work environment

Current Employee - Patient Resource Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fantastically supportive management and team mates. The company does try to do very small things to show appreciation. There are regular coffee days, when some colleagues will provide "HEB Special Roast" coffee. At some times, the organization will give its workers pizza or cake. Mostly, Co workers will band together to have pot lucks .

Cons

Low pay, increasingly constricting work environment and less flexibility. You have to clock in and out, which makes one feel less fulfilled as a person and more like a cog in a machine. The company doesn't consult any ground floor members before making large decisions. Currently, the organization is going through an abundance of change as it relies less on its local offices. This may be a positive if you enjoy working in a regularly changing environment.

Listen to those on the ground level before making drastic changes, at least a small group or committee.

No Room For Advancement

Former Employee - Patient Navigator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Patient Navigator in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Generous time off, learn how to survive petty office politics

Cons

Call center, you will be ostracized if you don't drink the Kool-Aid

Patient Resource Specialist

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere, they really care about employees, great benefits. I have made great friendships. Can pursue other things outside of work, in my case family.

Cons

No room for growth.

Pleasant

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I believe in the mission and work of this company, and believe they do their absolute best to be good stewards of donor dollars. Good atmosphere, caring and attentive management.

Cons

The red tape of the internal processes occasionally gets in the way of delivering services effectively.

Allowing employees more decision-making capability would do wonders for morale.

It's a good fall-back job

Former Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My coworkers were great. And you can go home at the end of the day feeling as if you helped people. They're always hiring and it's pretty easy to get your job back if you haven't burned bridges.

Cons

The place feels stagnant. Not a lot of upward movement.

American Cancer Society Photos