American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin

John R. Seffrin

Pros:
  • "Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others"
    in 29 reviews
  • "A few incredibly creative people; salary; benefits; work/life balance"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult"
    in 47 reviews
  • "No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

ACS employee for almost 10 years

ProsThe Mission is awesome. What we are trying to do is worthy!

ConsIf you think outside the box and want to take risks- beware...you might be labled as not a 'yes' man/woman. Then you will be pegged and moving up will be almost impossible. Transformation has been a nightmare- programs are going down the tubes and our ability to help patients is at risk and not working well at all. Some people who are in upper management positions are there because 'they needed to be placed somewhere' during the first few rounds of Transformation- not because they know what they are doing. So- we have folks in upper managment positions that have NO idea of the scope of work they are responsible for.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire within and dont be so afraid of the folks that think outside the box and have ideas different from your own.

Intake Specialist

Intake Specialist (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGreat culture of service and growth.

ConsPay lower (expected in Non-profit), Work can be emotionally draining considering mission and topic

Great people, plenty of passion, some confusion

ProsPassionate people doing good things for society

ConsTransformation has brought continuous change and confusion. Moving toward a more centralized, corporate model makes for less local control and perhaps less satisfaction to individual employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of the tight control and trust people.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great mission - Overpaid Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI loved working for a great mission and feeling like I was contributing to the well being of my friends and family.

ConsWhile the benefits package was adequate, in my experience management was male dominated and overpaid, while underpaying programmatic staff.

Events Intern

Events Intern (Former Employee)
    Mendota Heights, MN

ProsGreat cause, people are friendly and passionate about their work, great way to get non-profit experience and get further entrenched in the community

ConsInterns are underutilized and program is disorganized; there is a lot more that they could be doing and it is frustrating at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease utilization of all employees; function less like a non-profit and more like a business; leverage successes across offices better

Most rewarding and impactful job.

Management (Current Employee)

ProsHave been with the company for over 10 years and have seen its changes. The direction we are moving in is more exciting than ever. Leaderships are very supportive, the teams (income development, community engagement and health systems) are working together with great chemistry to achieve the common goals. Corporate provides opportunity for staff to express feedback and input. Corporate also encourages staff to exercise work/life balance. Have met so many cancer survivors and learned a great deal from their personal stories. Wonderful venue to introduce young kids to charity work and volunteerism.

ConsIt's not yours if new changes are intimating you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep sharing your passion and vision to the team.

Excellent cause, California division was not to worried about its employee satisfaction

Senior Relay for Life Manager (Former Employee)
    Santa Ana, CA

Prosgreat people to work with, and immediate management was awesome.

Conspay cuts, greater responsibility, state led management out of touch with the work force.

Disappointing

ProsThe cause is awesome, the leadership is weak and in denial

ConsArchaic management with weak skills and a just donate me money attitude

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure your upper management and remove those that have watched as the worker bees have been released and removed because of weak management and upper management protection of their own jobs through transition. You are top heavy and weak with unskilled management will soon topple, then you will see what transition is truly about. It sad that some many people are suffering while you flounder in outdated ideas and good ole boy ways.

It's all about the money

ProsNot hard work, coworkers were nice.

ConsIt is not about your talent, it is about who you know for contributions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend the money on cancer not pensions for white men

Mission Delivery (i.e. services to cancer patients) is in 'free fall' - we need new leaders who have vision/ integrity!

Senior Director (Current Employee)

ProsProviding hope and meeting all the needs that cancer patients have is a mission worthy of high praise!

ConsOur leaders have abandoned cancer patients to myopically pursue dollars for themselves and keep eliminating patient service programs to save dollars (which will lead to an end game - where they are rich and ACS is just one big marketing and revenue generation endeavor that will collapse on itself - because the public will realize what ACS has become simply about the money.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of upper management should retire now, while ACS still has some integrity/ dignity left.

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Cancer Society reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin. All 390 reviews posted anonymously by American Cancer Society employees.