American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin

John R. Seffrin

Pros:
  • "Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others"
    in 29 reviews
  • "A few incredibly creative people; salary; benefits; work/life balance"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult"
    in 45 reviews
  • "No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

patient resource specialist

Patient Resource Specialist (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for less than a year

Prosgreat environment, caring co-workers, nice place to accumulate work experience

Consnot paid well, not very high paid

Advice to Senior Managementbetter management

Former Intern

Public Relations (Current Employee)
Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at American Cancer Society as an intern for less than a year

ProsYou really feel like you're contributing to a great cause by both creating awareness and helping to raise money for direct assistance for people with cancer

ConsAs with any non-profit, logistics can get in the way, and all of a sudden, the bottom line matters more than the mission.

Miserable management

Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe passion and commitment toward the mission
Field and office support staff are excellent

ConsThe worst and most overpaid executive leadership anywhere in the world. Yes, I said anywhere in the world. They're greedy, old-school, deceptive, and the most back-stabbing bunch. And don't try to have an innovative idea or challenge something that just isn't working, they don't like that.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep down,!!! Reverse this transformation that has doomed us and doomed any cancer patient looking to is for help.

Great cause but disappointed to see a lot of donor dollars (including mine) wasted due to poor management, and processes

I worked at American Cancer Society

ProsThe cause is great and the work life balance was OK, depending on who you were.

ConsNo one (directors, vps) want to make a decision. So projects and process fall to the wayside. Things that should take a month literally takes 1 - 1.5 years to complete. Money is lost a thousand times over (which these are donor dollars in my opinion and every dollar that can be save can be spend on fighting cancer and not providing my best friend a job). You are not promoted or given an opportunity based on your performance but simply based on your relatiionshp. I have seen highly talented people let go because they wanted to make good changes, and other employees kept that can't evey do their basic job functions), which to me means leardship wants job security). I have seen some employees be given direction from 5 people at times so you never know which to do, they ended up doing it 5 different ways to please everyone to avoid complains and loosing there job (totally inefficient). After seeing all of the waste and lack of process (waste) , lack of decision making, I not only would not recommend anyone to go there, but would find another organization to donate my time and money to that fights the same fight.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot making a decison is to make a decision......often times the one you least want. Don't waste donor's money.

Good work life balance

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

ProsGreat PTO package, supportive work environment, great colleagues, good cause, some schedule flexibility, and a good work-life balance

ConsDepending on your area,there's not much room for career growth, some of the recent changes don't align to my views on how we could best help people

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people at the grassroots level - they know their stuff!

Company Transition

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for less than a year

ProsHaving flexible hours, working with passionate people, volunteering on the side

ConsUnclear job responsibilities, no energy, transition period is very hard to administer for them, especially when it comes to the administrative staff

Great mission, worst management ever!

Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

ProsMy co-workers, the dedicated volunteers.
They didn't make us come to work during inclement weather (for once).

ConsPretty on the outside, ugly on the inside. No values.
Low salaries for the amount of work/tome is asked.
No raises, except upper mangement
No incentives other than threats and "performance programs" if we don't meet our "quotas"
Transformation and restructuring is a big joke, ACS will never be a trustworthy organization again.
Not good stewards of donations, they go to pay executives salaries and to foot the bill for their travel and expensive hotel rooms and limos
Upper management are micro managers with little to no skills other than for BS and back-stabbing
Very political leadership structure, top heavy with no connection further down
No resources or recourse for conflict resolution or workplace bullying
non- management employees have no rights or path toward advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk staff what THEY want and make it SAFE for them answer honestly. And actually implement it, don't just gather data. Don't track our 'anonymous' responses to company surveys. Give us a real voice in shaping the future of ACS. There's too much retaliation for those challenge you. pay attention to workplace bullies, it's out of control!!

And for God's sake ... Staff HATE the insincere, obligatory office birthday celebrations. If we wanted to eat birthday cake with you or a roomful of coworkers, we'd invite you to our personal birthday parties. AWKWARD!!! Stop forcing the office birthday parties on us. UNCOMFORTABLE. Give us cash or gift cards instead with a nice card and leave us alone to decide if we want people to know it's our birthday.

Watching a full season of Undercover Boss might give you some insight on how to treat people, and have more empathy for what the real people of ACS are going through in life.

Do you even know how many staff are current cancer patients or survivors of less than 5 years? Want to inspire staff to meet their goals, do something that actually benefits staff.

A leader of non-profits in the midst of freefall!

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

ProsThe work is very satisfying, working with patients, working with awareness events, the gala, relay, and making strides are all phenomenal events to work with and support. Employees bring passion, friends and family to volunteer.

ConsManagement is eliminating all local support. Community Outreach has begun taking the route of call centers in other regions of the country. It is significantly impacting success/donations in a negative way. I see quality of support/care to the patient declining, and the tides are turning to a research only based organization. How long until Hope Lodge is dismantled? We don't know but I do know the plans are in the works to "consolidate" Hope Lodge, put caregivers in hospitals and eliminate local offices for Look Good/Feel Good (wig/make-over) programs and other similar activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou never considered the "hands on" of employees that would visit constituents and corporate donors/fundraisers on their own time to support fundraising efforts, and encourage more participation. This hands on touch is critical to achieving top customer service. Even the interns that were once promised a job at the end (working for free busting their backs) have no job at the end, but still expected to pull those 50-60 hour unpaid weeks. Where it is good to support the cause, the most dedicated are being taken advantage of.

DO NOT WORK FOR ACS!!!!! Money raised pays higher ups salaries!!!!!!!!!

Special Events Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Tons of free goodies like cups, shirts, magnets and pens/pencils

Cons-Horrible pay
-All ACS cares about is money that goes to some mystery bank account to pay for all the higher ups salaries
-No work life balance-60-70 weeks

Advice to Senior Management-Pay your staff better so they stay longer than 1 year
-Treat them as if they matter
-Relay is old news
-Needs new events

Not the Same Organization

I have been working at American Cancer Society

ProsGenerous time off, live-saving work, good cause, dedicated volunteers.

ConsTransformation. The organization is barely recognizable to those who have dedicated their time and talent to it or to those who rely on it. Everything has become overly process-heavy and there are no legitimate signs that this massive change is working. It is costing as much if not more and cancer patients will be the big losers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNext time, if there is a next time, test your theories and ideas before jumping in and taking on a complete overhaul of the organization. It wasn't broken. You said so yourselves. But now, it just might be. Consultants aren't as smart as the dedicated staff who knew the culture and the business. They are wealthier though, thanks to you.

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Cancer Society reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin. All 346 reviews posted anonymously by American Cancer Society employees.