American Cancer Society

Updated September 25, 2014
3.2

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • ACS offers really good hours which gives you the ability to have true work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 54 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

ACS is well-recognized in its effort in research, advocacy, and community events to promote cancer awareness.

Former Employee - Special Events Manager in Queens Village, NY
    Former Employee - Special Events Manager in Queens Village, NY

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with some of the most wonderful people with tons of passions in promoting cancer awareness. Most of them have their personal stories that inspired them to join the fight against cancer. They choose to get involved and contribute one way or the other, and you would want to be surrounded by those positive energy.

Cons

Compensation not compatible to responsibilities delegated. Requires lots of evening and weekend work time.

Overall, NOT good.

Former Employee - Fundraiser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in New York, NY

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

VERY attractive and sexy girls!

Cons

Dealing with clique-ish co-workers with horrible work ethics.

Keep QUALITY and INTELLIGENT workers and don't be fooled by clique-ish colleagues who form alliances to ostracize an employee because that person is smarter, works harder and IS much better than ALL of them combined!!!

Great org, well organized

Current Employee - Special Events Staff in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Special Events Staff in White Plains, NY

I have been working at American Cancer Society as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

- Positive work environment
    - Goals are realistic and achievable
    - If you like talking with people and convincing them to give a Strides event a try, you'll love this job.

Cons

- Can be tiring being on the phone all day enticing people into Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.
    - Cold calling businesses is challenging for some.

- Generally doing very well, try to drop fewer last-minute demands on staff.

Terrible environment, inefficient and unprofessional

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Because the organization is so large, there is the ability to grow and change roles. Also, great benefits.

Cons

The work environment is marked by a low level of professionality, with much more attention paid toward maintaining the status quo and following convoluted corporate procedures than toward doing quality work. A highly noticeable amount of the work produced is plainly sloppy and, even though there is a great amount of attention to procedure, the organization is quite disorganized. Lower level staff are also paid so horribly that they are happy to get a cost of living raise after years of frozen salaries. After a multi-year reorganization process, many staff are decidedly uncooperative unless there is political gain to be made from a relationship.

Some positive changes have been made at the top of the organization, but a significant percentage, if not a majority, of staff are demoralized after years of restructuring and communication from top level staff that largely comes off as canned and disingenuous. A lot of attention needs to be paid toward improving morale and, to be effective, work needs to be done to come off as real and caring about staff and the organization. Providing professional development opportunities wouldn't be a bad idea either. ACS will always have plenty of staff who are there primarily because they simply want to dedicate themselves to fighting cancer, but even these staff will fall into habit and/or frustration if they are not cultivated. To truly grow as an organization, ACS also needs to focus on being innovative and taking risk, something it has seemed very adverse to doing.

Make a difference, one person at a time.

Former Employee - Recruiter: Making Strides Against Breast Cancer in Manasquan, NJ

I worked at American Cancer Society as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I really always felt like I was helping people. Whether it was someone I was speaking to over the phone, or meeting someone at the walk.

Cons

Being so distant from the other part of the team. It always made me feel like we were 2 teams instead of one, and unfortunately because of that we acted that way sometimes.

A sense of community, great company culture and people.

Former Employee - Event Team Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Event Team Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at American Cancer Society as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is competitive when compared to other non-profit companies. The people are great. It is a laid back atmosphere. Everyone works together on major events.

Cons

Since it is a nationwide organization, you sometimes feel out of touch with upper management. A few times, as a Temp, the full-time staff members didn't acknowledge you or speak to you.

Calm and friendly working atmosphere

Former Employee - Marketing and Communications Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing and Communications Intern in New York, NY

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

You like what you do because it helps thousands of people

You can be creative

Great work environment

My boss was very appreciative of me

Cons

Work was sometimes tedious and uninteresting

I was not given compensation

Some of the marketing tactics were out-dated

Hire younger people with more new media expertise

It's been a great ride. I've grown so much professionally.

Current Employee - Administration in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administration in New York, NY

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The mission, people. My professional family

Cons

Transformation has changed everything for organization, staff.

Transparency is key to keep staff.

PFS Coordinator

Former Employee - PFS Coordinator in Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Former Employee - PFS Coordinator in Cedar Knolls, NJ

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! You have the opportunity to help the community and provide services that really make a difference in those suffering and recoveing from cancer.

Cons

Mandatory cold calling and solicitation.

Make sure to advise potential employees of the sales and marketing aspect of the job.

Has lost their personal touch and flair for helping those with cancer

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dedication to the mission
    Passion for eliminating cancer forever

Cons

Never happy about how much money is raised (always can do better)
    Focus on corporate environment - everything is centralized and has lost their touch in being there personally for every single patient (everything must be done through an automated line now)
    Obsessively focused on relay while throwing other important activities by the way side

Be more transparent and allow your lower-level local office employees begin to reach out to patients again. This is what made this organization fantastic - there are no hospital visits for cancer employees anymore. No local office that you can stop by in for a wig or a prosthetic. Everything is "the 800 number".

American Cancer Society Photos