American Cancer Society

Updated January 28, 2015
3.2

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • ACS offers really good hours which gives you the ability to have true work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 54 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was very friendly and always helpful. Every event was a success.

Cons

Was not a paid internship. Sometimes they just gave me busy work because there wasn't enough to do. Made many cold calls which helped my customer service skills but it made the day seem to last forever.

If you are going to hire multiple interns, make sure there is enough to be done. You guys really only needed one intern.

Working for a cause

Former Employee - Shared Services Staff in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Shared Services Staff in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

competitive pay, meaningful work, hard working co workers, excellent time off and other benefits

Cons

none that I can recall

Enjoyed working for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer as a Team Recruiter.

Former Employee - MSABC Team Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - MSABC Team Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at American Cancer Society part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Part-time 30 hours per week, calling local corporations to find that special person to be the team leader (form company team) have them attend kick-off breakfast, raise funds for breast cancer research. Touching to hear stories from survivors and recently diagnosed patients.

Cons

Need to have events through-out the year to keep people engaged in raising breast cancer awareness.

Need to have more communication with the planning committee comprised of volunteers - BIG disconnect !

Great company, kind people working towards making a difference.

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

office culture, leadership, smart and hardworking persons

Cons

low budget to hire on interns full-time

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Patient Navigator
    Current Employee - Patient Navigator

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Time off. Flexible schedules. Independent. Proud of the work you do. Making a difference

Cons

there has been been changes over the last year and many layoffs. This has created a lot of uncertainty and anxiety about whether we will have a job in 6 months

Awesome place to work

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

I enjoyed meeting new clients and getting them ready for the upcoming fundraising events.

Cons

I wish it was a year round campaign as it would allow more companies to get involved earlier to fundraise.

Has potential to be a great employer but many things need changed.

Current Employee - Income Development Representative in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Income Development Representative in Detroit, MI

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Time off is the best I have ever had. You are not micromanaged, and you set your own schedule based on volunteers needs and it is flexible. Working with passionate volunteers is the best part of the job.

Cons

Now the bad....Training is the worst that I have experienced, and I used to be a trainer for other companies so I know what it should look like. There are way too many 'Seniors, Directors, Chiefs' but not enough people actually in the field supporting the mission. The organization is extremely large, but the most disorganized. Training and resources never come out before the change, plans are rarely implemented, and deadlines are thrown on you last minute. The pay is extremely low for the things that field staff do on a daily basis especially when you see other staff partners salaries. And they use so many different systems that are outdated and inefficient.

ASK for feedback from your field staff partners. Send out an employee satisfaction survey a few times a year and LISTEN to what is being told. The turnover rate is extremely high and it's for a reason. The pay is pathetic for Relay staff and yet they are the ones bringing in the most funds. They work the crazy hours, become the only ACS staff in the majority of the communities, and deal with so many other things outside of their job description, and so much more, the pay should be fair.

"Long Hours, No worklife Balance, Management stinks"

Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life
    Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Met great volunteers and felt great after an event was complete. Benefits are great. Great opportunity to meet community leaders in your area.

Cons

LONG hours. Not just the normal 60-65, it would get into the 90 hours a week and NO flex time. Barely had time to eat most days. Work-life balance is nonexistent. Blame always comes to you, the internal pressures are so hard that even the volunteers feel the pressure because management is so rough. Management has no positive way of encouraging. Only adding more pressure which causes more stress on specialists. I was bullied by another in office manager.

Stop telling staff to "prioritize". We would prioritize every day and still would not have time to take off a day when work hours exceeded an ungodly amount. Know that THESE ARE VOLUNTEERS and they are TIRED. Turnover rate is so high for a reason. Negative ways of "encouraging" staff, always hearing how I was not doing my job well, and internal office bullying made (and is still making - until I quit soon) my life a nightmare.

Mixed experience-great environment, mission, but not as much of a work-life balance as there needs to be.

Current Employee - Field Staff in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Field Staff in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Cancer Society (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and people really believe in the mission. Benefits are not bad. Great vacation time off right from the start and grows quickly.

Cons

High level management is really out of touch with the rank and file. No work life balance in many positions. Pay is not good for the hours worked. Not nearly enough recognition by managers of the good work staff are doing. Whatever you are doing, it is not good enough, and you need to be doing more. But, more still isn't enough.

Get more connected to the rank and file employees. Encourage a work-life balance and allow and promote flexible working options.

Tough hours, good work, little work life balance

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is incredibly important, and there are so many rewarding moments. Meet many people in the community, build many relationships.

Cons

Long hours, little work life balance, a lot of favoritism that limits the ability to move up and progress professionally unless you have the right "friends up top".

Consider skills and abilities when working with employees, not just who has the right connections. Trust employees and understand that they have lives that need tending, and in order to produce the best work sometimes you must give priority to your employee's personal lives.

American Cancer Society Photos