American Cancer Society

Updated December 15, 2014
3.2

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • ACS offers really good hours which gives you the ability to have true work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 54 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall loved the experience

Current Employee - Special Events Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Special Events Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

compensation, perks, working with a positive team

Cons

inefficient, lack of structure, training

Electoral organizer

Former Employee - Electoral Organizer in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Electoral Organizer in Framingham, MA

I worked at American Cancer Society as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, flexibility and independence to complete tasks at own pace

Cons

Not much room for lower level staff to influence management, large institution

Support current staff with trainings and in house promotions, there wasn't enough room for growth within the organization

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

cause, people, culture, work/life balance, flexibility

Cons

Some confusion during light restructure though. Not enough growth opportunity. Non-profit level salaries

people are your best asset. take care of them.

It's been delightful

Current Employee - Patient Resource Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Patient Resource Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

You work with great people

Cons

Caseload can keep you busy if you don't keep up, they have a weird "sick time" policy where you can't have "unscheduled absences" more than twice in a "rolling quarter", Full-Time is actually only 37.5 hrs a wk so you get paid less

Nice team

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Really nice team
    Environment. Exciting fun work

Cons

Low pay. Some young people promoted too fast

On the job training for certain jobs

Alarmingly Unstable

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Friendly work force.

Cons

Top-heavy and bureaucratic. The organization is trying to raise money through saving money and it's failing miserably. They have cut too many staff positions and streamlined processes until the point of ineffectiveness . No one can get their job done and staff are leaving (or want to leave) in droves. .

There is ample evidence that your so-called "vision" is not working as you expected. Admit you were wrong and start the process of rebuilding the organization before it's totally ruined. Don't just fire the people that disagree with you or tell you that your over-simplified ideas aren't viable. Consultants aren't always right about things. This is proof positive of that. If you believe your legacy will be that you transformed the ACS, you are very wrong. Instead, you will be remembered as the one who ran it into the ground. Sooner or later, this will all catch up with you. It's such a shame. A sad, sad, state of affairs.

Broken organization

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

There used to be a lot of pros but now, mostly cons. The only pro is that in some positions you can work from home occasionally.

Cons

Felt secure for many years but the company reorganizes every 3 years or so. So many changes they've lost sight of the mission. Focused on raising more money no matter what it does to their reputation. Many hurt and dissatisfied staff and volunteers. Lots of people are leaving this sinking ship. Competition will soon overtake what used to be one of the greatest organizations.

Leadership are not empowered to make decisions. Staff are not happy and are leaving right and left. This organization needs to get back to their roots of serving the cancer patient instead of taking away so many programs. Continuing to cut staff leads to less fundraising-hurt staff will no longer give, nor will their family. With all the changes over the years, this is a snowball effect that will ruin this organization in the end.

Great Mission, Lack of Direction

Current Employee - Manager of Special Events
    Current Employee - Manager of Special Events

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, a lot of vacation time, great mission behind what you do on a daily basis

Cons

Over worked and under paid

Dissatisfying and Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Good mission, however I'm not sure that mission is being met. Great funding in the past 100 years that has led to great advances in cancer research over the past 100 years that have really changed how the disease is managed, however I don't think there are current strides to make progressive changes. Good to normal benefits, but poor pay as expected with a non-profit.

Cons

Poor office culture at least in my regional office, no enthusiasm in employees or management. It takes so long to make any progressive changes to the point that innovation is basically discouraged. Policies implemented in the 80s are still current, little to no technology. Disconnected from the needs of the current healthcare system. I was very surprised that my coworkers have no knowledge of the Affordable Care Act or other current issues in healthcare. Closed door policy.

Encourage innovation and change. It's the only way to affect healthcare and cancer treatment.

Company Culture

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for an experience working for a Non-Profit organization maybe American Cancer Society is for you. The mission of the organization is great, however, I would first venture into volunteering first before looking at employment with the organization.

Cons

My role with the organization is working with Relay For Life. Often working with volunteers in local communities can be difficult when you have to deal with various attitudes and emotions. Relay Specialist work a lot of hours, which they are not compensated for. It often feels like the organization values its volunteers more than it values the employees that work for the organization. There are very little perks, if any, given to the employees in my role.

If I were to give advice to management I would say; examine what programs you have in place that recognize, promote, and show employees that they are valued. Work on ensuring you have the right people in positions of management and give adequate training to those that are currently in management positions.

American Cancer Society Photos