American Cancer Society Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.0
Gary Reedy

Pros
  • Fantastic work life balance opportunity (in 34 reviews)

• making a difference, respect from outside workplace (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance-60-70 weeks (in 54 reviews)

• Absolutely NO work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

1. Lot of perks, but at a price

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Relay for Life in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Relay for Life in Atlanta, GA

Pros

A lot of time off

Cons

a closed group, very political, more social and political than a professional business atmosphere.

Director

Former Employee - Associate Director in South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - Associate Director in South Florida, FL

I worked at American Cancer Society (More than a year)

Pros

This organization gives everything it has back to its communities. It is superbly branded and is researched driven. The areas that need shoring up management/leadership and building a culture that fits modern business and its stretch goals. For some reason it works with a retail model, which is not suited of its constituents...or employees.

Cons

Controlling management, utter lack of leadership skill and a culture of here is the model so as I say. This may have worked 40 years ago but does not work well for attracting, retaining and re-training great talent. It keeps mediocre and very hard (not smart) working employees who give their all for the organization.

Advice to Management

Invest in leadership SKILL building. Don't waste time evaluating leadership styles. The magic is in the SKILLs used and the accountability surrounding the use of these skills and performance.

3. American Cancer Society

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Cancer Society (More than a year)

Pros

a lot of great passion for mission some truly terrific people work there wonderful programs a few employees who 'got it'

Cons

an organization stuck in the past lots of arduous processes and departments with questionable roles a lot of people had been there for way too long internal focus vs. external

5. Community Relationship Manager

Pros

Great mission. Wonderful community involvement. Amazing volunteers. Relay for life events are inspirational.

Cons

over worked, under compensated. Management out of touch with communities and community managers.

Advice to Management

Don't try to be apart of the community you manage. You're not!

Disappointed and Disilusioned

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working to make a difference in the lives of cancer patients and doing something to better their world - is very meaningful work!! Very challenging and complex problems to solve - so it is never mundane or boring.

Cons

Recognition and reward based on merit is problematic. Many people who are hard working, honest and bring integrity to everything they do - are constantly undermined and derided by those who are in 'leadership' positions - who spew lies and negativity on anything that does not benefit them directly. These 'leaders' do not want anyone to shine brighter than themselves - and thus, they kill any attempts at innovation and plagarize ideas and work, which they claim as their own. (all credit must be attributed to them) They have created lies and innuendo to force many, many very capable colleagues out or people have simply left the Organization because of them. The 'brain drain' has been ongoing for several years (quite aside from the denials that it has been happening or trying to spin that this extreme attrition is all normal). Many 'leaders' are unethical, mean-spirited, contemptible, bullies who have destroyed the ACS culture and demoralized the workforce. They act belligerently and disrespectfully to employees, and in fact, many times ignore them (and their many accomplishments) and only tell them how bad they are doing and how stupid they are.

Advice to Management

Turning a blind eye to the bullies who 'manage' by fear and intimidation makes you culpable for ACS's current state of affairs. (I think our new CEO has integrity and vision, but he has a huge challenge and uphill climb - in 'fixing' the culture. Unfortunately many of the same 'leadership' bullies have positioned themselves as counelors in guiding our Organizational 'Transformation' as they wish to be the new cadre of upper management ). Many of us that have remained and continue to try to do our best for cancer patients, do so aganist much adversity. I think many of us were hoping for a miracle turn-around. That has not happened - and I fear that there are 'dark times' ahead of us.

7. Really did not want to go permanent because of culture

Former Contractor - Recruiter in Point Pleasant, NJ
    Former Contractor - Recruiter in Point Pleasant, NJ

I worked at American Cancer Society as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It was intrinsically beneficial to work with the team on a 6 month project. My own personal connections to fight the good fight is why I signed on.

Cons

ACS was gutting their F/T staff booting them out the door. F/T staff was always complaining about the way they were poorly treated, but had passion and commitment for the cause which is why they did not look for other work until they were let go for the most part. Aside from that, as a long time supporter of ACS, after volunteering for 15+ years followed by that 6 month paid contract project... they forgot who I am. I still get the solicitations to donate money... but no invitations to the networking events any more, no calls seeking volunteers (which is odd), and a few more things. Moving to a National Call Center for community outreach was a bad move. People like dealing with people in their community. Donors like stopping in at the local office to pick up supplies or drop off donations. I just think that in trying to be more fiscally responsible, they cut off a lot of the humanity in the process.

Advice to Management

Reassess what your thinking in how you treat the people who make the magic happen running successful events.

8. Community Representative

Former Employee - Community Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Community Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission, awesome volunteers. The volunteers and the community representatives are the back bone of this organization. The work you put towards the mission is invaluable.

Cons

They work you to death. NO support from management. Pay is atrocious. ABSOLUTELY NO WORK LIFE BALANCE.

Advice to Management

Support your staff and volunteers. You have incredible CR's. Foster their development and maybe there wouldn't be such high turnover.

9. Corporate Center

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holt, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holt, MI

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Staff have the ability to impact those going through their cancer journey.

Cons

The current focus is to do more with less at the expense of of over working and under appreciating staff.

Advice to Management

Appreciate staff, look at staffing models and pay staff fairly. I am hopeful Gary Reedy will be able to change the culture.

10. community manage

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

meeting survivors good mission meet great volunteers

Cons

TERRIBLE management taking away a lot of programs no support from higher up only concerned about income very little growth

Advice to Management

get new managers

11. Management Below Par

Former Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to help cancer patients and providing invaluable information. Daily calls and variety of things to work through.

Cons

The management team forms opinions of which employees they like, and will make things miserable for those that don't fit there model.

Advice to Management

Management could use some more professionalism, and learn to let rumors be rumors and not spread them with other employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed