American Cancer Society Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Gary Reedy

Pros
  • Fantastic work life balance opportunity (in 34 reviews)

• making a difference, respect from outside workplace (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance-60-70 weeks (in 54 reviews)

• Absolutely NO work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

Sr. Manager of distinguished events

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

The mission is wonderful. And meaningful.

Cons

The current management structure does not set one up for success.

I would never, ever like to work there ever again.

Former Employee - Team Manager
    Former Employee - Team Manager

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent schedule depending on the position you hold, and who likes you there. If you're hired in through manpower, though.. good luck.

Cons

Low pay for the work done, and asked of you.

Advice to Management

Proper training. Less expecting everyone to know exactly what to do at all times. The call center should also be way less harsh to the people they are calling. The bold approach is awful. So is being forced to badger people for their money in campaigns where it's obvious they choose, or cannot afford to give much.

Community Manager

Current Employee - Community Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Flexible
    Survivors
    Fun environment
    Making a difference

Cons

Will only negotiate salary for men or women of color.
    Disrespectful for those on the ground bringing in the money.
    Does not listen to what employees tell
    Does not listen to what volunteers want
    Takes forever to get materials out until last minute
    No new marketing materials
    Plays favorites
    Never knows what is happening
    Can never answer a question honestly

Advice to Management

Respect

Disappointed & Disgusted

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Interacting with kind-hearted volunteers and those involved with Relay for Life.

Cons

Horrible management who's only concern is how much money is brought in and abuse of credit cards for lunches. During meetings, management criticized Relay for Life teams that did not generate enough money. They criticized volunteers during a luncheon for the volunteers because they were staying too long. Management always ordered lunches on the organization credit cards. When they decided they didn't want someone there, management would all get together and build a case against that individual. Management all teamed up against a volunteer, who was also a cancer survivor and gave 3 years of her time, faithfully, made her cry, dismissed all her input and suggestions, until she decided to leave. They showed no remorse and could care less after she left. It was not what I expected. They are not what they portrayed themselves to be. They are the least bit concerned with cancer patients, it;s all about the money.

Advice to Management

If you learned anything about ethics, you will rethink how you treat people and what kind of organization you serve.

Recruiter

Former Employee - Recruiter: Making Strides Against Breast Cancer in Hauppauge, NY

I worked at American Cancer Society (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary was the only good thing

Cons

I was offered my job back for Making strides against breast cancer and the rug was pulled under my feet at the last minute no reasonable explanation

Advice to Management

Get your communication together

Hope our new CEO can fix a huge mess

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Great people who want to make a difference.

Cons

High turnover and constant reorganization. Our "transformation" has dragged on over 2 years and is still not not complete. Many employees felt they have not been treated fairly during the process and morale is low. While most employees had to reapply for positions, upper management at the corporate center retained their positions, despite the fact that there were numerous examples of poor leadership and bad financial decisions.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at decisions that were made during the transformation. The organization drastically changed its structure without a strategic plan in place. Without a clear vision for the future, we will continue to lose good employees and volunteers.

Used fear tactics and intimidation to try to reach unrealistic fundraising goals.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pinellas Park, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pinellas Park, FL

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The cause, of course. Also, the American Cancer Society is very selective about cause marketing, which I respect, unlike other nonprofits where you can buy pink chips and "a portion of the proceeds will go to support finding a cure for breast cancer," etc. The benefits are also generous. Working with volunteers can be rewarding, and they can also be a con when they do not get what they want.

Cons

No work-life balance. Unrealistic fundraising goals. Terrible management. Illegal hiring practices (discrimination(. Revolving door. The directors fired very competent, dedicated staff for not reaching unrealistic goals to try to save their jobs. Going to Human Resources was never an option, since they would just share the information with the directors.

Advice to Management

Fear is not a motivator. Staff often work with ACS because they believe in the cause. Believe in your staff, and they will work tirelessly for you.

Horrible Treatment of Employees

Former Employee - Community Relationship Manager in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Community Relationship Manager in Reno, NV

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Pay is good for entry level event management.

Cons

Management is not transparent. No opportunities for growth. While it is not stated that it is required to work overtime it is implied. Employees work significant amount of hours. Treatment of employees is poor. Employees that are not liked or that have any medical conditions are forced to resign or fired...specifically in RENO NV. Employees are pressured into writing good reviews of upper management when any discrimination issues are brought to the attention of any VP's.

Advice to Management

Clean sweep upper management!

Selfish company, only care about their own pockets

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

I honestly cannot think of any. You might get lucky and meet some great fellow co-workers (I did), which makes the time go by faster. Other than that, no pros.

Cons

One of the worst most selfish companies I have ever worked for. In an entire 8 hour day, we were allowed only 30 minutes of break time. Period. That whole 30 minutes was supposed to include lunch, break, and even going to the restroom (yes, we had to punch out just to go to the restroom). At every other job I've worked at, we were given 30 minutes for lunch (unpaid), plus two 15 minute breaks (paid). This, to me, is very reasonable. And on top of that, we were still permitted to use the restroom whenever we needed to, without it counting against us. But at ACS, we were allowed only 30 minutes (unpaid, of course) for ALL of that! And because it also takes time to log out and back into your desk, a 30 minute break could easily be whittled down to 25 minutes or less. I felt like a slave, literally chained to my desk for 7.5 hours.

Training was also laughable. We got two days of very minimal training, and were then thrown out on the floor and expected to know everything already. We would get pulled into team meetings and yelled at for "missing" things that were never taught to us in the first place! There is a HUGE miscommunication between management here. There was a very high turnover rate for this very reason.

I would NOT recommend working for this company unless you have no other option.

Advice to Management

How do you expect employee productivity and morale to be high when you treat them like slaves? Thirty minutes of break time (that also includes going to the restroom) in an 8 hour day is just absurd, and no one should have to bring that to your attention for you to know that it's wrong. You wouldn't be okay with it if you were restricted in that way. Why would you think it is okay to treat employees that way?

Furthermore, you cannot expect people to know things that haven't been taught to them. You wouldn't have to train and re-train new employees every week if you would just train them right the first time!! How about a full job training rather than 2 days?? If people are consistently screwing up on the same issues, common sense should tell you that it's a problem with your TRAINING and not with the employees themselves.

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Georgia in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Georgia in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Great location, good benefits. Flexible hours.

Cons

Horrible leadership at the top. President retiring, CEO leaving (but not before firing integral department leaders). Worked here for 3+ years without any pay increase whatsoever. Rarely saw or communicated with management. Most managers are technicians and not leaders.

Advice to Management

Talk to your people! Get some leadership training. Focus on ways to increase revenue rather than cutting jobs. You are losing valuable experience for chump change.

RSS Feed </> Embed