American Cancer Society

Updated February 22, 2015
3.1

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • ACS offers really good hours which gives you the ability to have true work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 54 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Selfish company, only care about their own pockets

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

I honestly cannot think of any. You might get lucky and meet some great fellow co-workers (I did), which makes the time go by faster. Other than that, no pros.

Cons

One of the worst most selfish companies I have ever worked for. In an entire 8 hour day, we were allowed only 30 minutes of break time. Period. That whole 30 minutes was supposed to include lunch, break, and even going to the restroom (yes, we had to punch out just to go to the restroom). At every other job I've worked at, we were given 30 minutes for lunch (unpaid), plus two 15 minute breaks (paid). This, to me, is very reasonable. And on top of that, we were still permitted to use the restroom whenever we needed to, without it counting against us. But at ACS, we were allowed only 30 minutes (unpaid, of course) for ALL of that! And because it also takes time to log out and back into your desk, a 30 minute break could easily be whittled down to 25 minutes or less. I felt like a slave, literally chained to my desk for 7.5 hours.

Training was also laughable. We got two days of very minimal training, and were then thrown out on the floor and expected to know everything already. We would get pulled into team meetings and yelled at for "missing" things that were never taught to us in the first place! There is a HUGE miscommunication between management here. There was a very high turnover rate for this very reason.

I would NOT recommend working for this company unless you have no other option.

How do you expect employee productivity and morale to be high when you treat them like slaves? Thirty minutes of break time (that also includes going to the restroom) in an 8 hour day is just absurd, and no one should have to bring that to your attention for you to know that it's wrong. You wouldn't be okay with it if you were restricted in that way. Why would you think it is okay to treat employees that way?

Furthermore, you cannot expect people to know things that haven't been taught to them. You wouldn't have to train and re-train new employees every week if you would just train them right the first time!! How about a full job training rather than 2 days?? If people are consistently screwing up on the same issues, common sense should tell you that it's a problem with your TRAINING and not with the employees themselves.

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Georgia in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Georgia in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Great location, good benefits. Flexible hours.

Cons

Horrible leadership at the top. President retiring, CEO leaving (but not before firing integral department leaders). Worked here for 3+ years without any pay increase whatsoever. Rarely saw or communicated with management. Most managers are technicians and not leaders.

Talk to your people! Get some leadership training. Focus on ways to increase revenue rather than cutting jobs. You are losing valuable experience for chump change.

They run this place like a cult. Worst place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

I don't have any pros for this place.

Cons

Don't speak up and voice your opinion or they'll find a way to get rid of you. The powers that be only like yes men. If you have a brain or an opinion, this is not the place for you. Also the worst case of workplace bullying I've experienced in my professional career. So glad I'm gone from that cesspool. And talk about an enormous amount of wasteful spending. Somebody needs to go and check their books.

Learn how to listen to your employees sometimes. Acknowledge when your people are doing a job instead of waiting on somebody to have a bad day and kick them when they're down.

Good cause, bad business

Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life
    Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great cause, lots of PTO, the volunteers are amazing, good benefits package.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of Relay for Life Specialists. Lots of nights and weekends with little to no compensation relative to work.

Management is incompetent, ineffective, and consistently maintains "we've always done it this way" mentality. It's not uncommon to see subordinates who are more educated than their Senior Manager (ie. managers with no degree after high school, no management experience whatsoever).

Numerous useless meetings and "team building" events cutting into one's time to complete job effectively.

Almost no upward mobility or chance of promotion. If "promoted" there's often little or no pay raise. Good employees are overlooked for outside talent, leading to HIGH turnover.

Consistent lack of professionalism in the work place by management.

Whatever you do DO NOT work here. You will regret it and quit, as have half the people in my office since I started within the last 6 months.

Too much disconnect between those making the decisions and those making the money

Former Employee - Community Relations
    Former Employee - Community Relations

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible with schedule
    Inspiring mission
    Meeting/working with great volunteers

Cons

Work-life balance
    Unrealistic fundraising expectations/quotas
    Clique-ish management
    Disconnect between upper leadership and those in the field

Take some time to understand how your fundraisers and volunteers operate. Implementing policies solely based on saving money is not always a good move. Trust your employees and volunteers to make good decisions as well-not everything has to be a corporation-wide policy.

Transformation was very difficult to go through, without knowing what direction the company was going and trying to explain (or hide) that from volunteers. Having to reapply for your own job was a humiliating process.

Running straight into the ground

Current Employee - Relay Specialist
    Current Employee - Relay Specialist

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Important mission finding a cure for cancer
    Lots of truly dedicated people
    Decent benefits especially a very generous amount of PTO

Cons

Long hours and very poor work-life balance
    Low pay
    Frequent nonsensical reorganizations
    Bloated management especially at the upper levels
    Political correctness run amock in too many areas

How about cutting some of your bloated executive salaries instead of laying off more people who do the actual work? This place is so management-heavy it makes the federal government seem well run.

Worst professional experience of my career

Former Employee - Paralegal in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

ACS helps so many people.

Cons

The management is out of state and the people who are in charge of the legal section are unfortunately not helpful on a good day and the rest of the time just flat out hateful. It is an unfortunate situation where bullies are in charge.

If different employees have the same problem - the common denominator is the management.

Overall, NOT good.

Former Employee - Fundraiser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in New York, NY

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

VERY attractive and sexy girls!

Cons

Dealing with clique-ish co-workers with horrible work ethics.

Keep QUALITY and INTELLIGENT workers and don't be fooled by clique-ish colleagues who form alliances to ostracize an employee because that person is smarter, works harder and IS much better than ALL of them combined!!!

Sinking ship....

Current Employee - Income Development Representative
    Current Employee - Income Development Representative

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many employees are committed to the cause, you get to meet a lot of wonderful volunteers.

Cons

The organization is grossly mismanaged, it is truly astounding that an organization of this scope has no CRM system. Since each department is run so autonomously, there is little to no communication about what is going on in other areas of the organization. Employees are underpaid and overworked, and constantly asked to do and give more with no support or appreciation, morale seems to be at an all time low. Management seems to want to maintain the status quo, and does not foster honest and open dialogue, and in the end seems completely tone deaf to what is actually going on in the communities they serve. Goals come down from national who have no idea what the reality or needs are of the volunteers on the ground. It is also very hard to see where all the money raised goes, since services have been cut to virtually nothing, I guess it goes to salaries of upper management.

Listen to the front line staff who are working in the communities. Appreciate your staff and volunteers, stop viewing them as simply cash cows. If you invest in developing your employees and treat them with respect, maybe people will stay longer than a year or a season.

Corporation First!! Non-Profit Second!!

Former Employee - Senior Event Manager in Napa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Event Manager in Napa, CA

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great volunteers to work with.

Cons

Extremely long hours for very little pay. Employees are treated as though they are expendable! Horrible management. Pay is horrible while the CEO makes close to two million a year. Donor dollars are spent without any thought. They talk about eating healthy, but at all the all day meetings the only thing they provide to eat is candy and chips. A majority of the employees are grossly overweight. Overall a very unhealthy place to work, mentally and physically.

American Cancer Society Photos