American Cancer Society

Updated January 29, 2015
3.2

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • ACS offers really good hours which gives you the ability to have true work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 54 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

ACS is committed to eliminating cancer

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been fortunate to grow my career with this company, starting at the front-line and working my way up through several roles to my current position. Many of the criticisms I've been reading do not reflect my experiences with ACS, which is staffed by some of the kindest, results oriented, mission-focused individuals I've ever known. As with any company, opportunities to advance are not given to you, but must be earned, and you must create opportunities to demonstrate your skills even when those opportunities don't seem to exist. In addition to the positive relationships with colleagues, this company offers excellent benefits. Unlike some, I don't have an issue with CEO pay in general. As one of the largest non-profits, we don't pay our CEO as much as most (though his effectiveness given his salary is arguable). I think you get what you pay for.

Cons

You'll make more money working for a for-profit, though the pay is competitive in the non-profit space. The organization has undergone a tremendous amount of change in the past 4 years (organizational consolidation, multiple department re-orgs) which has led to a sense of aimlessness due to relatively poor communication around larger organizational decisions and current state. In one moment, messages from executives indicate that things seem to be on the rebound, and in the next moment, we're in dire financial straits, which leads to a sense of employee panic about their own place in the org, their job stability, and the overall outlook for the future.

Internal and external communication is a mess. Pay attention to the voice of the employee and implement feedback where you can. I'm excited that a new CEO will soon bring a fresh vision to this awesome brand, and will remind the company's employees, and the world, of all that the American Cancer Society is capable in the 21st century.

Enjoyed working for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer as a Team Recruiter.

Former Employee - MSABC Team Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - MSABC Team Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at American Cancer Society part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Part-time 30 hours per week, calling local corporations to find that special person to be the team leader (form company team) have them attend kick-off breakfast, raise funds for breast cancer research. Touching to hear stories from survivors and recently diagnosed patients.

Cons

Need to have events through-out the year to keep people engaged in raising breast cancer awareness.

Need to have more communication with the planning committee comprised of volunteers - BIG disconnect !

Working for a cause

Former Employee - Shared Services Staff in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Shared Services Staff in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

competitive pay, meaningful work, hard working co workers, excellent time off and other benefits

Cons

none that I can recall

"Long Hours, No worklife Balance, Management stinks"

Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life
    Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Met great volunteers and felt great after an event was complete. Benefits are great. Great opportunity to meet community leaders in your area.

Cons

LONG hours. Not just the normal 60-65, it would get into the 90 hours a week and NO flex time. Barely had time to eat most days. Work-life balance is nonexistent. Blame always comes to you, the internal pressures are so hard that even the volunteers feel the pressure because management is so rough. Management has no positive way of encouraging. Only adding more pressure which causes more stress on specialists. I was bullied by another in office manager.

Stop telling staff to "prioritize". We would prioritize every day and still would not have time to take off a day when work hours exceeded an ungodly amount. Know that THESE ARE VOLUNTEERS and they are TIRED. Turnover rate is so high for a reason. Negative ways of "encouraging" staff, always hearing how I was not doing my job well, and internal office bullying made (and is still making - until I quit soon) my life a nightmare.

Mixed experience-great environment, mission, but not as much of a work-life balance as there needs to be.

Current Employee - Field Staff in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Field Staff in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Cancer Society (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and people really believe in the mission. Benefits are not bad. Great vacation time off right from the start and grows quickly.

Cons

High level management is really out of touch with the rank and file. No work life balance in many positions. Pay is not good for the hours worked. Not nearly enough recognition by managers of the good work staff are doing. Whatever you are doing, it is not good enough, and you need to be doing more. But, more still isn't enough.

Get more connected to the rank and file employees. Encourage a work-life balance and allow and promote flexible working options.

Great company, kind people working towards making a difference.

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

office culture, leadership, smart and hardworking persons

Cons

low budget to hire on interns full-time

Intern

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was very friendly and always helpful. Every event was a success.

Cons

Was not a paid internship. Sometimes they just gave me busy work because there wasn't enough to do. Made many cold calls which helped my customer service skills but it made the day seem to last forever.

If you are going to hire multiple interns, make sure there is enough to be done. You guys really only needed one intern.

Awesome place to work

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

I enjoyed meeting new clients and getting them ready for the upcoming fundraising events.

Cons

I wish it was a year round campaign as it would allow more companies to get involved earlier to fundraise.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Patient Navigator
    Current Employee - Patient Navigator

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Time off. Flexible schedules. Independent. Proud of the work you do. Making a difference

Cons

there has been been changes over the last year and many layoffs. This has created a lot of uncertainty and anxiety about whether we will have a job in 6 months

Tough hours, good work, little work life balance

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is incredibly important, and there are so many rewarding moments. Meet many people in the community, build many relationships.

Cons

Long hours, little work life balance, a lot of favoritism that limits the ability to move up and progress professionally unless you have the right "friends up top".

Consider skills and abilities when working with employees, not just who has the right connections. Trust employees and understand that they have lives that need tending, and in order to produce the best work sometimes you must give priority to your employee's personal lives.

American Cancer Society Photos