American Cancer Society Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
520 reviews filtered by

Great place to work. Especially in IT.

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great for hands on in just about every area of IT support. Very rewarding to help those who are helping others.

Cons

The salary is low in comparison to the workload/expectations. Job description/primary duties can change at the drop of a dime.

Advice to Management

They should put their employees above their personal/career goals. Keep in mind you are managing People not thinhgs nor revenue.

Hope our new CEO can fix a huge mess

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Great people who want to make a difference.

Cons

High turnover and constant reorganization. Our "transformation" has dragged on over 2 years and is still not not complete. Many employees felt they have not been treated fairly during the process and morale is low. While most employees had to reapply for positions, upper management at the corporate center retained their positions, despite the fact that there were numerous examples of poor leadership and bad financial decisions.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at decisions that were made during the transformation. The organization drastically changed its structure without a strategic plan in place. Without a clear vision for the future, we will continue to lose good employees and volunteers.

Still going through transformation

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Great work life balance at ACS.

Cons

Management keeps adding more work with little or no help.

5. Interesting company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Room for advancement, growth and interesting work

Cons

downsizing quite a bit with employees that have been employed any length of time

Advice to Management

keeping loyal people is very valuable

Company is transforming and many forced to take different jobs

Former Employee - Community Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Community Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Fighting Cancer is very rewarding and you always feel like you're doing something positive for all of mankind.

Cons

Having to re-apply for positions when they change structure often.

Used fear tactics and intimidation to try to reach unrealistic fundraising goals.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pinellas Park, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pinellas Park, FL

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The cause, of course. Also, the American Cancer Society is very selective about cause marketing, which I respect, unlike other nonprofits where you can buy pink chips and "a portion of the proceeds will go to support finding a cure for breast cancer," etc. The benefits are also generous. Working with volunteers can be rewarding, and they can also be a con when they do not get what they want.

Cons

No work-life balance. Unrealistic fundraising goals. Terrible management. Illegal hiring practices (discrimination(. Revolving door. The directors fired very competent, dedicated staff for not reaching unrealistic goals to try to save their jobs. Going to Human Resources was never an option, since they would just share the information with the directors.

Advice to Management

Fear is not a motivator. Staff often work with ACS because they believe in the cause. Believe in your staff, and they will work tirelessly for you.

The American Cancer Society was a nice place to work up until the process of "transformation"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Definitely a worthy cause. Overall great environment. Certainly good benefits. Many good-hearted individuals.

Cons

There is the American Cancer Society pre "transformation" and post transformation. While it is a great thing for a company to remove it's inefficiencies, I think the American Cancer Society's transformation process might have removed it's soul. Time will certainly tell. It is not really clear what innovation or community service it's being done, at least at the local level.

Advice to Management

I'm afraid you've through the baby with the bath water.

9. Intern

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Great group work setting. Positive environment. Hands on work. Great employees. Active work space

Cons

I do not have any cons to share.

Advice to Management

None

10. Rewarding, yet challenging

Current Employee - Community Manager, Relay for Life
    Current Employee - Community Manager, Relay for Life

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, decent pay for the area, great benefits and vacation time

Cons

High turnover, management is not transparent, long work hours, lots of evenings and weekends, fundraising for a 30 year old event is a struggle

Advice to Management

less of a work load for community managers, better compensation for the hours put in

Run away... far, far away....

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at American Cancer Society as a contractor

Pros

They have a pretty sophisticated IT department and they spend a whole lot of money on infrastructure.

Cons

I lasted three days as a contractor. Apparently they frown on smoking. Not that I would know this because it never came up in either of my interviews (one in person and one of the phone) nor did it come up when I showed up on my first day and filled the paperwork for my badge and the parking form. Nobody said you can't smoke on the property but I figured probably not a good idea. So I parked across the street because you can never get parking around their building in Austin. Some security camera caught me smoking (I've been chewing the gum for about 2 months - trying to quite - sometimes I slip and but I get back track). there was no discussion - no "did you not know that this was forbidden" - no talking about it at all. I got email stating the contract was cancelled. And I later found out why - some camera they had access to on the complex recorded me smoking a cigarette. Now - you can say what you like about smoking but it's totally not cool to fire someone for doing something they never knew was prohibited. It was never, ever explicitly stated or implied in any way.

Luckily I hadn't gotten around to turning down other offers that I had and I was out of work two days. It's not the smoking policy that bothers me - its the total lack of effective communication about expectations. You can be fired on a whim. It's capricious. And the pay sucks. Way below market.

Don't even think about working for these people. It's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Your contractors don't have ESP. If something is prohibited what's wrong with admitting it up front?

American Cancer Society Photos