American Cancer Society

Updated December 15, 2014
3.2

American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin
John R. Seffrin

Pros
  • ACS offers really good hours which gives you the ability to have true work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • We work when the volunteers can help us, so work life balance can be difficult (in 54 reviews)

• No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is exceptional. Everyone is Positive and Team Orientated. Great Customer Services

Cons

No Cons. Great place to work 5 days a week.

Keep doing what you are doing. It works!!

Thirty five year, full time staff person working in Health Initiatives

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My work began as a mission-focused staff working with hundreds of community volunteers and other health organization partners. The organization was grassroots based and included survivors and families, public health and oncology professionals, public policy volunteers and community collaborators.

Cons

The organization had and continues to have numerous organizational transitions in its approach to be relevant in today's cancer world.

N/A

Great Place to be an Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Almost everyone here is passionate about the mission. It's a large enough organization that you'll have the opportunity to do a lot of things if you're interested. You'll work with some of the smartest and nicest people around. The offices are in a beautiful, centrally located building downtown. The org is very loyal to its employees and vice versa.

Cons

As someone who came in from the consulting world, it can be frustrating to deal with the lack of urgency that some employees have. There are strong organizational silos that lead managers and directors to look after their turf at the expense of the overall organization. I.T. is probably the worst at that. Their systems only exist to support the business, but you often wouldn't know that by the way they dictate terms to the business.

The building has our name on it but houses other companies, too. Work with building owners to ban smoking anywhere on the property. I know multiple people who say they see smokers outside of "our" building and think we're an organization full of hypocrites. Employees have no access to stairwells and time limited access to escalators. This discourages walking up and down stairs, which is one of the easiest things we can do for our own health during the work day. More integration, less silos. The loyalty to employees is great, but the sense that many employees have that they're completely safe in their jobs leads to that lack of urgency I mentioned. Underperforming employees should be let go when they consistently fail regardless of their tenure or politics.

The American Cancer Society is a great place to work and help people battling cancer.

Current Employee - Communications
    Current Employee - Communications

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company stresses work-life balance. Gives employees ample time off, to take care of your family. Leadership is very supportive.

Cons

Everyone is expected to help fund raise for the Society, but because it does so much in the community this is not very difficult.

Running straight into the ground

Current Employee - Relay Specialist
    Current Employee - Relay Specialist

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Important mission finding a cure for cancer
    Lots of truly dedicated people
    Decent benefits especially a very generous amount of PTO

Cons

Long hours and very poor work-life balance
    Low pay
    Frequent nonsensical reorganizations
    Bloated management especially at the upper levels
    Political correctness run amock in too many areas

How about cutting some of your bloated executive salaries instead of laying off more people who do the actual work? This place is so management-heavy it makes the federal government seem well run.

Too much disconnect between those making the decisions and those making the money

Former Employee - Community Relations
    Former Employee - Community Relations

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible with schedule
    Inspiring mission
    Meeting/working with great volunteers

Cons

Work-life balance
    Unrealistic fundraising expectations/quotas
    Clique-ish management
    Disconnect between upper leadership and those in the field

Take some time to understand how your fundraisers and volunteers operate. Implementing policies solely based on saving money is not always a good move. Trust your employees and volunteers to make good decisions as well-not everything has to be a corporation-wide policy.

Transformation was very difficult to go through, without knowing what direction the company was going and trying to explain (or hide) that from volunteers. Having to reapply for your own job was a humiliating process.

Not the best experience

Former Employee - Donation Specialist in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Donation Specialist in East Lansing, MI

I worked at American Cancer Society part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hourly wage & training were good

Cons

Lack of hours, micromanaging & solicitation

Show employees where donations are actually going

MSABC

Current Employee - MSABC Telemarketer in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - MSABC Telemarketer in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Great experience if you need practice on telemarketing.

Cons

Horrible management. Poor office culture. Company has gone through too many transformations and has led to poor office morale.

Stop micromanaging.

Too internally focused. Lake of leadership locally.

Former Employee - Community Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Community Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Like being tied to worthy cause. Nice people just wish the were no so afraid to try new methods.

Cons

Focus is internal. Think twice particularly if you do not interview with fellow team members. Get a broad perspective before joining.

While new structure has positives there is not a sense of teamwork. Local office mgmt role is administrator not leadership.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Account Representative - Partner Relationships
    Current Employee - Account Representative - Partner Relationships

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic work life balance opportunity. Every day you get to make a difference in the lives of current and future cancer patients and caregivers. It feels great to know you are working to make the world a better place instead of a company's bottom line. No day is ever the same!! Truly the best job I have ever had!

Cons

The company is quite conservative with the "good ol' boys" club at the top. It is seems when someone who is a bit more progressive and ready to take us in to the next century of fighting cancer at the c-suite level, they convienently are "no longer with the company". Nevertheless, the compensation could be a bit more competitive and there is overall lack of investment in employess (tuition reimbursement, advancement, etc).

My advice to management is to stop PREACHING that your employess are your biggest assest and start SHOWING us! Invest in us!! You may be surprised that turn over will decline and stability in certain market shares will be restored. Furthemore, to eliminate cancer in the next century we must start thinking and acting more progressively. Manage the company like a forturne 1,000 corporation not a non-profit! And lastly, stop with the politically correct language when addressing staff. We are much smarter than I feel you give us a credit for. We can read through the lines! Being transparent is speaking honestly and direclty not spewing p.c. jargon to redirect our concerns.

American Cancer Society Photos