American Cancer Society Reviews

522 reviews filtered by

Intern

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was very friendly and always helpful. Every event was a success.

Cons

Was not a paid internship. Sometimes they just gave me busy work because there wasn't enough to do. Made many cold calls which helped my customer service skills but it made the day seem to last forever.

Advice to Management

If you are going to hire multiple interns, make sure there is enough to be done. You guys really only needed one intern.

2. Awesome place to work

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

I enjoyed meeting new clients and getting them ready for the upcoming fundraising events.

Cons

I wish it was a year round campaign as it would allow more companies to get involved earlier to fundraise.

3. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Patient Navigator
    Current Employee - Patient Navigator

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Time off. Flexible schedules. Independent. Proud of the work you do. Making a difference

Cons

there has been been changes over the last year and many layoffs. This has created a lot of uncertainty and anxiety about whether we will have a job in 6 months

"Long Hours, No worklife Balance, Management stinks"

Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life
    Current Employee - Specialist, Relay for Life

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Met great volunteers and felt great after an event was complete. Benefits are great. Great opportunity to meet community leaders in your area.

Cons

LONG hours. Not just the normal 60-65, it would get into the 90 hours a week and NO flex time. Barely had time to eat most days. Work-life balance is nonexistent. Blame always comes to you, the internal pressures are so hard that even the volunteers feel the pressure because management is so rough. Management has no positive way of encouraging. Only adding more pressure which causes more stress on specialists. I was bullied by another in office manager.

Advice to Management

Stop telling staff to "prioritize". We would prioritize every day and still would not have time to take off a day when work hours exceeded an ungodly amount. Know that THESE ARE VOLUNTEERS and they are TIRED. Turnover rate is so high for a reason. Negative ways of "encouraging" staff, always hearing how I was not doing my job well, and internal office bullying made (and is still making - until I quit soon) my life a nightmare.

Mixed experience-great environment, mission, but not as much of a work-life balance as there needs to be.

Current Employee - Field Staff in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Field Staff in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Cancer Society (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and people really believe in the mission. Benefits are not bad. Great vacation time off right from the start and grows quickly.

Cons

High level management is really out of touch with the rank and file. No work life balance in many positions. Pay is not good for the hours worked. Not nearly enough recognition by managers of the good work staff are doing. Whatever you are doing, it is not good enough, and you need to be doing more. But, more still isn't enough.

Advice to Management

Get more connected to the rank and file employees. Encourage a work-life balance and allow and promote flexible working options.

Has potential to be a great employer but many things need changed.

Current Employee - Income Development Representative in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Income Development Representative in Detroit, MI

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Time off is the best I have ever had. You are not micromanaged, and you set your own schedule based on volunteers needs and it is flexible. Working with passionate volunteers is the best part of the job.

Cons

Now the bad....Training is the worst that I have experienced, and I used to be a trainer for other companies so I know what it should look like. There are way too many 'Seniors, Directors, Chiefs' but not enough people actually in the field supporting the mission. The organization is extremely large, but the most disorganized. Training and resources never come out before the change, plans are rarely implemented, and deadlines are thrown on you last minute. The pay is extremely low for the things that field staff do on a daily basis especially when you see other staff partners salaries. And they use so many different systems that are outdated and inefficient.

Advice to Management

ASK for feedback from your field staff partners. Send out an employee satisfaction survey a few times a year and LISTEN to what is being told. The turnover rate is extremely high and it's for a reason. The pay is pathetic for Relay staff and yet they are the ones bringing in the most funds. They work the crazy hours, become the only ACS staff in the majority of the communities, and deal with so many other things outside of their job description, and so much more, the pay should be fair.

Tough hours, good work, little work life balance

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is incredibly important, and there are so many rewarding moments. Meet many people in the community, build many relationships.

Cons

Long hours, little work life balance, a lot of favoritism that limits the ability to move up and progress professionally unless you have the right "friends up top".

Advice to Management

Consider skills and abilities when working with employees, not just who has the right connections. Trust employees and understand that they have lives that need tending, and in order to produce the best work sometimes you must give priority to your employee's personal lives.

9. Resource Specialist

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Great co-workers and fulfilling job

Cons

Poor leadership and low compensation.

10. Very large company, but they do make an effort to tie everyone into the mission

Former Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company
    Flexible schedules
    Lots of cross-departmental collaborating
    Some room for advancement
    Good time off package

Cons

Hard to stand out
    Executive team on an island
    Most of executive team members are "packaged together"
    Easy to get stuck in the same position for a very long time
    Each change in management usually means widespread layoffs/re-orgs

Selfish company, only care about their own pockets

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

I honestly cannot think of any. You might get lucky and meet some great fellow co-workers (I did), which makes the time go by faster. Other than that, no pros.

Cons

One of the worst most selfish companies I have ever worked for. In an entire 8 hour day, we were allowed only 30 minutes of break time. Period. That whole 30 minutes was supposed to include lunch, break, and even going to the restroom (yes, we had to punch out just to go to the restroom). At every other job I've worked at, we were given 30 minutes for lunch (unpaid), plus two 15 minute breaks (paid). This, to me, is very reasonable. And on top of that, we were still permitted to use the restroom whenever we needed to, without it counting against us. But at ACS, we were allowed only 30 minutes (unpaid, of course) for ALL of that! And because it also takes time to log out and back into your desk, a 30 minute break could easily be whittled down to 25 minutes or less. I felt like a slave, literally chained to my desk for 7.5 hours.

Training was also laughable. We got two days of very minimal training, and were then thrown out on the floor and expected to know everything already. We would get pulled into team meetings and yelled at for "missing" things that were never taught to us in the first place! There is a HUGE miscommunication between management here. There was a very high turnover rate for this very reason.

I would NOT recommend working for this company unless you have no other option.

Advice to Management

How do you expect employee productivity and morale to be high when you treat them like slaves? Thirty minutes of break time (that also includes going to the restroom) in an 8 hour day is just absurd, and no one should have to bring that to your attention for you to know that it's wrong. You wouldn't be okay with it if you were restricted in that way. Why would you think it is okay to treat employees that way?

Furthermore, you cannot expect people to know things that haven't been taught to them. You wouldn't have to train and re-train new employees every week if you would just train them right the first time!! How about a full job training rather than 2 days?? If people are consistently screwing up on the same issues, common sense should tell you that it's a problem with your TRAINING and not with the employees themselves.

American Cancer Society Photos