American Cellular

Kimbrough L. Dunlap III

Store manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fremont, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Fremont, OH

I have been working at American Cellular full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company. Great employees and upper management. Good pay when you sell. Flexible work schedule

Cons

Commission only job. You are guaranteed minimum wage for 40 hours a week but you work more than that. Long work days. If you don't sell you don't make money. High employee turnover

Give managers a base wage plus commission.

Loved the job

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Columbia, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Columbia, TN

I worked at American Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved being in sales. I fully believed in the products and services I sold. I also stayed motivated because of the commission.

Cons

Upper management lacked the ability and understanding to realize how very stressful the job could be. Certain people almost seemed inhuman. The main office was very understaffed.

The best I have ever had at any job!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at American Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, good people to work with, awesome management, great training, awards to be earned. I liked working with everyone there. The location had great traffic!

Cons

At times the quota could get tough to hit during the "dry months". Some of the staff was not there for the right reasons.

Communication needs to be better!

Company had great benefits and management

Current Employee - Multi-Location Manager in Manchester, CT
    Current Employee - Multi-Location Manager in Manchester, CT

I have been working at American Cellular full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good managers
    Great commission
    Allows for a lot of flexability in how you manage your business

Cons

No longer in business. New owner renamed to Wireless connection

Sale cell phones!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at American Cellular

Pros

Commission! The cellular communication business is booming.

Cons

The public is the most challenging part of working for a cellular phone company. The other downside is you are essentially working for two companies Verizon and the Authorized Reatailer. Verizon constantly changes the way their business operates. This will be a challenge for people who are not able to pick up quickly. If the Authorized Retailer doesn't have a great upper management team working with Verizon, find the nearest exit and run! You will not have the proper information or support to arm yourself against potentially unhappy customers. Most unhappy customers in this business come from errors on the salespersons behalf which often start from weak management.

The biggest problem I personally see not being addressed within this company is employees' mental health. This is a very stressful job Stress plays a part in your employees work, home, and social life! Let your store managers know its okay to be stressed out. So often I find in conversation with other co workers that they are embarrassed about being stressed at all! These quota go getters are typically very strong willed driven individuals. They fear how they will be perceived by upper level management if they admit they are entirely too stressed out.

Great company and great compensation.

I have been working at American Cellular

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Great compensation. Friendly staff and management. Working there is enjoyable and fun. There are ample opportunities for advancement, and also the ability to go out and get customers to make more money.

Cons

Limited communication from upper management to reps. Also, there tends to be a big time gap between requests/corrections from reps to upper management to fix.

I only have one major request, and that would be for the corporate office to be a little faster on getting in touch with reps who need corrections on specific things.