American Century

Be The First To
Add Photos

American Century President and CEO Jonathan S. Thomas

Jonathan S. Thomas

Remarkable Talent. Inspiring Story. Respectable Company.

I have been working at American Century

ProsPerformance Focused. Philanthropic Driven. One of the best workplaces in the business!

ConsNone to mention at this current time about the cons of this company

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain open with communication efforts across all business channels.

Great Place To Work But Limited Opportunities

I have been working at American Century full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat work atmosphere and work-life balance. Company has been built on solid morals and sound investment practices.

ConsLack of training to advance.
Limited opportunities to advance since turnover is so low.
Leadership is in the day-to-day activities more so than not.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities to job-shadow, job-share, and/or job rotations so that individuals do not feel "stuck" in their current role.

Great place to work!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Century full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of integrity within the company
Great benefits, salary
Hires the right people
Management freely shares the company's vision

ConsNo relevant cons to report

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the open communication all employees that exists today

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great culture, results driven, focused - Overall great company to work for

I have been working at American Century full-time for more than 10 years

ProsManagement team is focused on building a successful company with clear focus. Relies on organic growth with smart risk-taking. Profits with a Purpose: Profits are shared with Stowers Institute for Medical Research for greater benefit.

ConsSlow to adapt or venture into new areas. Thus learning opportunities or career growth may be slow. Although it depends on the department you're in.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and building a results oriented team. Need to be little bit more aggressive in launching new products/adapting to new technologies.

Great Company to Work for.....

I have been working at American Century full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits
Pay is benchmarked against other investment companies--I believe its comparable. Nice big family atmosphere. Culture is amazing.
Tuition Reimbursment is a plus (You can receive your Master's without signing a contractual agreement to stay) like most companies!!!!

Cons-Limited room for growth potential
-Once a position is available, there is fierce competition from hundreds of people who are eager to tap into a career aspect that has growth potential.
-after several years, one will be able to predict who will receive a career advancement or manager role, similar to politics.
-Trainers should be honest with college students who enter bottom roles, there are graduates with Bachelor's and Master's Degrees still seeking to expand their career opportunities but are STUCK in operational/processing roles......
-Did I say limited room for advancement....?

I would recommend this company to anyone who does not seek a company that has a plethora of growth potential. If you are seeking to move up quickly within 1-3 years, chances are slim to none with degrees and experience, unless you know someone who knows someone kind of deal ;)

Top Shelf

Information Tech (Former Employee)

I worked at American Century full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAmerican Century knows how to hire the right people, and keep them.

ConsFinancial Market instability ripples through quickly

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

ACI was one of my best employers ever

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at American Century full-time for more than 5 years

ProsACI had amazing management and culture. A terrific place to work and grow. I miss them very much, wish they had not closed the Denver office. Administrative work by it's very nature is very repetitive, but ACI management always provided me an opportunity to take on new challenges.

ConsAdministrative work by it's very nature is very repetitive, but ACI management always provided me an opportunity to take on new challenges.

Solid company with fiscally conservative values.

Direct Channel (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Century full-time

ProsBad seeds don't sprout here. Most employees, including management, are smart individuals with positive attitudes. Management is accessible & responsive. Mostly a well defined structure that supports an individual's career path, if the individual takes ownership. You are given the opportunity to have either a career or to have a job and there is a difference..

Most employees pass the "beer test"! (You could potentially sit down & have a beer with them & carry on a decent conversation.)

Benefits are better than most, especially health care, even with the high deductible plan. On site cafeterias & gyms. It is a safe, clean environment.

Supportive environment of continuing education & reimburse up to the applicable limits for relevant degrees &/ or certifications.

ConsCareer advancement is limited in that opportunities for the more sought after positions are offered on a limited basis, extremely competitive, and regularly go to external talent.

Salaries are lower than industry average but the overall package of benefits, including low stress environment (most of the time) & work life balance, put American Century in upper half of similar investment companies.

Repetition, repetition, repetition.

Best employer I have ever had

I have been working at American Century

ProsPeople, management, benfefits, office location

ConsThere are real no cons to working here

American Century is an awesome place to work.

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at American Century full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible hours. Great benefits. Wonderful hardworking professionals. It was an awesome small company environment when I worked there. Mr. Stowers often had lunch with us and dropped by to check out how things were going.

ConsLots of hours to keep up with work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't sell off divisons like RPS.

Worked for American Century? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Century reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Century CEO Jonathan S. Thomas. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by American Century employees.