American Chartered Reviews

Dan Miller

1. Teller

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at American Chartered (More than a year)

Pros

Fun Environment Easy to talk to people and co workers Flexible hours Spontaneous activities

Cons

Bad Management Always Giving in to the Customers Below Average Pay

Advice to Management

Stop giving into demands for customers

2. Teller

Former Employee - Bank Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Bank Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Chartered part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly enviroment,excellent team. ACB is all about making customers happy. Very good bank. At the end of the service you offer a chocolate or two to your customer and it makes it soecial. Good pay, stable enviroment. ACB is taking care off its employees. Normal hours of operations. You really built strong relationships with your customers. You are like in a big family.

Cons

Not enough training, not a place to advance to easy.

Advice to Management

None, loved the management.

3. Great people. Great culture. Easy to maneuver around to get the necessary resources.

Pros

People. Great work / life balance.

Cons

Given the flat structure, it's hard to move around within the company.

5. Overall Review

I have been working at American Chartered full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is movement available if you are willing to travel to a different branch or to the main office. Management supports movement between departments, not just a linear move from Teller to Universal Teller, to Retail Banker, etc.

Cons

Branch network is spread out and traffic makes it difficult to travel to a different location.

Advice to Management

Stay involved at all levels. There could also be more cooperation between retail and commercial.

6. High pressure work environment, pay too low for the stress.

Former Employee - Teller in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Teller in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at American Chartered part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The health insurance benefits are good and offered even to part-time employees. All the tellers I worked with were fun to work with and we made a great team.

Cons

The pay is too low for the stress. Mystery shoppers are used to ensure the transaction script is followed. Tolerable cash discrepancies are very low relative to the workload. Was told in the interview that most positions are filled from within which couldn't be farther from the truth. Saturated with top-down management.

Advice to Management

Promote within as advertised, respect tellers, listen to suggestions/complaints/criticism.

Commercial Banker

Current Employee - Commercial Banker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Commercial Banker in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Chartered full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not to many that I can think of

Cons

Management is very weak and franking not qualified

Advice to Management

Become more intelligent; especially the recruiting staff

Bad place to work

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at American Chartered full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours, you'll always get a daytime shift and some holidays off. That's about all.

Cons

Management looks down upon you, talks down to you, very nit-picky, no room for growth because everyone is so worried about themselves moving up, there is lots of competition, You can't trust employees.

Advice to Management

Have better trainings on acting more pleasant towards your colleagues and others below you. Try showing more effort in recognizing employees when their efforts call for it.

Great company geared towards customers... employees beware.

Former Employee - Remittance Processor in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Remittance Processor in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

This is a company that prides itself on customer service and excellence in its field. Because of that the company as a whole puts a huge burden on the employees to keep the image. They have a decent benefits package and lots of overtime. The management staff is helpful yet training is so-so. The general atmosphere is light and airy as well as comfortable to work in. Co-workers and helpful to new staff members and unbiased. The location is wonderful for an operations department but if you live in Chicago expect to leave plenty early to be on time. Overall it is a nice and decent place to work if your home life isn't too complicated.

Cons

One of the biggest downsides that you might find at ACB is the way the department is structured. Every error counts against you even before you are told that it will. During my training period I had made errors as anyone would who is new to the field, yet even though the situation was remedied, the first few errors counted against me all the way till the end of my first year and I'm sure if I hadn't left it would have counted even beyond that. The hours for the lockbox department are great IF you don't have anywhere to go. The weekends started earlier than weekdays even including Sundays. The hours are long and hard and there is a lot of small time physical labor that adds up. You can talk about how sore you are all day long, and yet you will get no response.

Advice to Management

I would advise that the lockbox department be executed in shifts. I would also recommend an assistant of some sort for the manager of the lockbox department.

10. Great overall experience! Great co-workers and the organization as a whole is solid with a lot of potential.

I have been working at American Chartered full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers and bennifits, with a wide range of both commercial and consumer clients. The company may be a mid-sized bank, however it uses that to maintain a personal touch with clients and still remains nimble and savvy enough to keep up and compete with the big-banks.

Cons

Due to the size, it is sometimes hard to move upward within the organization. Allthough, the organization does look to always hire internally first which gives you the first opportunity at a new position.

Advice to Management

Management is attentive, ambitious and innovative.

11. Opportunities for self Starters

Former Employee - Traveling Teller; Treasury Management
    Former Employee - Traveling Teller; Treasury Management

I worked at American Chartered full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at several branches, as well as in operations, and felt welcomed and valued nearly everywhere I went. The issues I did have were mainly related to Customers and branch management's lack of help in certain situations. Fellow employees were awesome, as well as managers. I could talk to "higher ups" if I needed to, and within the first week of working there, I had met the President. As long as you perform when you need to (i.e. customers need help) branch management is generally okay with reading, talking with co-workers, etc. I absolutely love the Chicago area, and working between so many branches really did help me get to know the suburbs very well. When I worked there, a couple of years ago at this point, they still offered benefits (Health Insurance, life insurance, IRA); I cant speak to what they offer now, but I do know that they value their employees and do what they can to show that. In the customer service space, they have an achievement program and have quarterly outings for outstanding performers; there is usually a bank wide employee appreciation event once a year, and smaller departments have their own Holiday Parties.

Cons

If you're not a self starter, you may feel stuck in a rut. I am the type to go out and find more opportunities for myself, so on my way around the company, I saw a lot of people happy to do only the minimum. The pay was great, especially compared to retail, but could use some improvement.

Advice to Management

Identify employees on entry whether they have a drive to move up and take on more responsibility, then work with them.

RSS Feed </> Embed