American Chartered

American Chartered Reviews

Updated Jun 5, 2014

American Chartered President and CEO Dan Miller

Dan Miller

Great overall experience! Great co-workers and the organization as a whole is solid with a lot of potential.

ProsGood co-workers and bennifits, with a wide range of both commercial and consumer clients. The company may be a mid-sized bank, however it uses that to maintain a personal touch with clients and still remains nimble and savvy enough to keep up and compete with the big-banks.

ConsDue to the size, it is sometimes hard to move upward within the organization. Allthough, the organization does look to always hire internally first which gives you the first opportunity at a new position.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is attentive, ambitious and innovative.

High pressure work environment, pay too low for the stress.

Teller (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsThe health insurance benefits are good and offered even to part-time employees. All the tellers I worked with were fun to work with and we made a great team.

ConsThe pay is too low for the stress. Mystery shoppers are used to ensure the transaction script is followed. Tolerable cash discrepancies are very low relative to the workload. Was told in the interview that most positions are filled from within which couldn't be farther from the truth. Saturated with top-down management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within as advertised, respect tellers, listen to suggestions/complaints/criticism.

Commercial Banker

Commercial Banker (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNot to many that I can think of

ConsManagement is very weak and franking not qualified

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more intelligent; especially the recruiting staff

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad place to work

Teller (Former Employee)

ProsThe hours, you'll always get a daytime shift and some holidays off. That's about all.

ConsManagement looks down upon you, talks down to you, very nit-picky, no room for growth because everyone is so worried about themselves moving up, there is lots of competition, You can't trust employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better trainings on acting more pleasant towards your colleagues and others below you. Try showing more effort in recognizing employees when their efforts call for it.

Great company geared towards customers... employees beware.

Remittance Processor (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsThis is a company that prides itself on customer service and excellence in its field. Because of that the company as a whole puts a huge burden on the employees to keep the image. They have a decent benefits package and lots of overtime. The management staff is helpful yet training is so-so. The general atmosphere is light and airy as well as comfortable to work in. Co-workers and helpful to new staff members and unbiased. The location is wonderful for an operations department but if you live in Chicago expect to leave plenty early to be on time. Overall it is a nice and decent place to work if your home life isn't too complicated.

ConsOne of the biggest downsides that you might find at ACB is the way the department is structured. Every error counts against you even before you are told that it will. During my training period I had made errors as anyone would who is new to the field, yet even though the situation was remedied, the first few errors counted against me all the way till the end of my first year and I'm sure if I hadn't left it would have counted even beyond that. The hours for the lockbox department are great IF you don't have anywhere to go. The weekends started earlier than weekdays even including Sundays. The hours are long and hard and there is a lot of small time physical labor that adds up. You can talk about how sore you are all day long, and yet you will get no response.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise that the lockbox department be executed in shifts. I would also recommend an assistant of some sort for the manager of the lockbox department.

Opportunities for self Starters

Traveling Teller; Treasury Management (Former Employee)

ProsI worked at several branches, as well as in operations, and felt welcomed and valued nearly everywhere I went. The issues I did have were mainly related to Customers and branch management's lack of help in certain situations. Fellow employees were awesome, as well as managers. I could talk to "higher ups" if I needed to, and within the first week of working there, I had met the President.

As long as you perform when you need to (i.e. customers need help) branch management is generally okay with reading, talking with co-workers, etc.

I absolutely love the Chicago area, and working between so many branches really did help me get to know the suburbs very well.

When I worked there, a couple of years ago at this point, they still offered benefits (Health Insurance, life insurance, IRA); I cant speak to what they offer now, but I do know that they value their employees and do what they can to show that. In the customer service space, they have an achievement program and have quarterly outings for outstanding performers; there is usually a bank wide employee appreciation event once a year, and smaller departments have their own Holiday Parties.

ConsIf you're not a self starter, you may feel stuck in a rut. I am the type to go out and find more opportunities for myself, so on my way around the company, I saw a lot of people happy to do only the minimum.

The pay was great, especially compared to retail, but could use some improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify employees on entry whether they have a drive to move up and take on more responsibility, then work with them.

Strong, stable bank with a focus on the client.

Senior Teller (Current Employee)

ProsGeared towards the clients of the bank. Better than one can say about most other banks where the Executive management answers to stockholders (This is a privately owned bank). The Human Resources department works very hard to ensure that you are making the most out of your benefits, including making sure you are in the best insurance plan for you. There are great incentives for those who work very hard and show an eagerness to learn anything new or beyond their natural position. Most co-workers are generally helpful and there is an overall sense of teamwork. Not sales orientated, much lower stress in terms of cross-selling. It's expected and encouraged, but failure to do so has little effect on salary. Very stable and very conservative bank, financial meltdown had little effect other than the lowering of interest rates on accounts and making it harder to secure loans. Maintained high liquidity.

ConsVery difficult to move past certain levels, ie into management. A degree is not required however you need an extreme amount of experience in order to advance. The only decent insurance is the health insurance. The dental and vision plans are completely worthless and in the end pay for very little. It was cheaper to just get the eye exam without insurance then have the discount applied. Meaning total year premium plus the cost of the exam was more then if one did not have the vision plan to begin with. Reviews are often given late. Branch management has little to no idea what occurs daily in my department, therefore has difficulty being able to properly grade performance. Communication up and down the chain of command is also lax. Been caught completely unawares by things that were of high importance due to lack of communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the abilities of those under you and what their position truly entails. Do not assume that just because the position is lower than yours that it is not stressful at times. Also trust that your staff has the common sense to ensure that the banks policies are being properly carried out.

Worked for American Chartered? Contribute to the Community!