American Chemical Society

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
3.4

Madeleine Jacobs

Great benefits, still a little conservative

I worked at American Chemical Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation seems to be above a lot of other similar positions at other companies, and annual raises are pretty consistent. Flexible work environment and hours in most departments. Lots of fun and entertaining coworkers.

Cons

Executive Management is slow to encourage or embrace change, and not always very receptive to feedback.
    Inconsistent HR department means it can be difficult to get information or clear answers, and they seem to delay certain promotions on arbitrary bases

This is a huge, somewhat unwieldy organization with tons of revenue, multiple silos, and little synergy.

I worked at American Chemical Society as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I liked working with most of my colleagues.

Cons

My boss did not provide oversight. I exceeded my goals, but my success was not acknowledged. I made two small mistakes, and I was let go. Within two weeks after I left, my boss and his sales staff were fired.

You need to do more than throw money at problems. The staff doesn't even know that they are working on similar, almost identical projects in the Events and Publications department. Focus on nurturing connections, and make sure business development is a team project.

Real commitment to chemistry, overly bureaucratic and siloed structure

I have been working at American Chemical Society full-time

Pros

This is a mission-driven organization where people generally feel good about "improving people's lives through the transforming power of chemistry." It has a clear and exciting strategic plan and a culture that embraces member service, volunteerism, and professional development. There are literally thousands of members who volunteer substantial time for the organization at the local, technical division, and national levels. The benefits are very good, including a substantial contribution from the employer to retirement, life insurance, and ample vacation and sick leave. There is a vibrant program of activities to build community among staff sponsored by staff council.

Cons

The organization struggles to be sufficiently agile in today's changing environment. While the establishment of an office of innovation & collaboration is a good step, and they are working hard to break down barriers, much remains to be done. Front line employees still face challenges in developing creative ideas, and divisional management often operates as if they are running independent organizations. Some long-time managers have questionable competency, and backroom politics plays too much of a role. It is a shame, but many of us have learned to keep our mouths shut about problems that we see and opportunities to make a positive difference.

Management should work with governance leaders to develop a single set of priorities, and then work collaboratively to accomplish them across divisional lines. Those managers who don't support the new collaborative culture should be ushered out, including those in senior positions. Internal customer service should be a priority across the organization.

Flexible work arrangements, nice workers. Slow to change.

I have been working at American Chemical Society full-time

Pros

The work and hours are often flexible, which accommodates many living styles and schedules. The benefits are excellent.

Cons

ACS can be slow to adopt change. Steers very slowly, and is slow to implement new programs and adapt.

Create more avenues to advance to management.

Stellar Mission and resources to affect real change- need for upper management overhaul

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at American Chemical Society full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits plan and opportunities to participate in internal and external professional development. Salaries are competitive and many of the middle management team members are SME's on the rise in non profit industry- great place to hone your craft.

Cons

Culture of upper management focused on steering members into silos and moving unprofitable agendas. Preference for employing chemists, without the real ability to perform in strategic management roles, hinders programmatic success and will frustrate those looking to really working with members to move strategic plans forward. "Mean girl/woman Syndrome" rampant and men are often mistreated.

Consider enforcing accountability measures in how upper management speaks to, treats and develops employees. Understand that your culture is very personality driven and this impedes your ability to develop mid level staff into strategic leaders. Pay attention to top performers who have witnessed unfair treatment by management team and members and who ultimately ruin the reputation of the organization. Ramp up training on behavioral and ethical behavioral expectations and empower Human Resources to enforce penalties. You have a stellar volunteer base and middle management team, that is being consistently ruined by long time upper management and long time employees afraid to adapt and treat employees equitably. Organization is very well positioned to do much better with just a little more attention being paid to how you treat long term employees and mid level managers.

OK place to work..but don't look for much excitement here

I worked at American Chemical Society full-time

Pros

Good location and great benefits. You can make some friends here.

Cons

Employees pampered and provided excellent benefits, but very "office space"-like setting. Often creative, bold ideas are squashed by regulations in ACS Constitution and/or stubborn individuals in leadership. Poor professional habits (manipulation, bargaining, etc.) is practiced and encouraged between internal offices.

The workplace is changing. Change with it.

Satisfying and Good!

Former Employee - Lab Technician
    Former Employee - Lab Technician

I worked at American Chemical Society full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

To be a chemist., it is awesome to work in A.C.S.

Cons

ACS is worldwide recognized and is a leading professional institute

Great company, slow to change

Current Employee - Technical Editor in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Editor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at American Chemical Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

ACS treats employees very well - great training, benefits, salary, and work/life balance (flexible work options). Lovely Columbus campus, with cafeteria and walking path. They trust you to work on your own and get things done (no micromanagement) and are passionate about chemistry.

Cons

As with any big company, change in attitude is very slow. Young workers coming in should expect traditional ways of doing things and somewhat slow opportunities for growth.
    Under new VP, production has become extremely numbers-oriented.

To retain young workers, give them more opportunities earlier, or they will go elsewhere just to have a variety of experiences.

Interesting work, pleasant people, but underwhelming compensation and career development.

Current Employee - Associate Editor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Editor in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Chemical Society full-time

Pros

You get to read about, talk about, think about, and write about interesting science. If you're into science, chemistry especially, that's stimulating. Benefits are pretty good, competitive with federal ones.

Cons

The career development is not nearly as good as they portray it, or at least it hasn't been for me. There can be a lot of unnecessary politics and drama.

First rate employer and publisher

I worked at American Chemical Society as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Contract work is fair and extremely flexible

Cons

Working offsite, contractors are disconnected from community spirit