American City Business Journals

Add Photos

Ray Shaw

Really love my job

Account Executive (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsCompetitive pay, great work environment, company values it's employees

ConsSometimes the local markets step on our toes, or vice versa

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more bonuses based in performance

Working for the Journal has been a rewarding experience, good people, good company, great clients

Audience Development Acc Executive (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe benefits from this company stared the day I was hired, They are efficient in the handling of the signup, pay is very competitive and the commission structure very fair and can lead to a fine income

ConsTraining is lacking and the time off policies are very strict and unyielding. Though these minor "cons" can be forgotten with the atmosphere and support from the people here in Seattle.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training in real technique and sales ideas, especially concerning the "bulk" sales programs.

Overall management is poor. The product itself, the Journalism is excellent. They struggle to keep their best people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Benefits are great, the quality of Journalism top notch.

ConsLow ethics among management, and lack of direction in leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house, I mean really clean house. Your Ad Directors, and I've met most of them are sub-par.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Empowering, gave me many opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Shaw family cares about the future of the company, and its employees. They all want it to work. After Ray Shaw's death, the company had to change direction, and it still kept its values and commitments to employees.

ConsThe newspaper industry is in disruption. ACBJ must transform themselves in to a round-the-clock news organization. Some of the functions that used to be carried out at the local level, have been consolidated at the corporate level. I hope it survives the death of newspapers and can become a online revenue powerhouse.

Family business that cares about its people but has a lot of dead weight in a dying industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsGood salary, good benefits, extremely family friendly atmosphere, and it's a business – local business content – that does have lots of value and gets lots of traffic on its website.

ConsLittle bit of nepotism, lots of people doing the bare minimum to get by everyday, there are limited areas for advancement inside the company and – let's be honest – it's in a dying business: print and online content supported by banner ads.

Wonderful place to work

Staff Writer (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat work life balance and awesome benefits; also got pay raises when times were goo pretty regularly

ConsTough to compete with daily newspapers sometimes even though they had more resources, and got hauled in almost every day about it

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

Great, forward-thinking place for an entrepreneurial journalist to work

Editorial (Current Employee)

ProsCompetitive pay, great benefits. They are pushing hard to improve their online products while also redesigning their hard-copy products (hiring famed newspaper and magazine designer Mario Garcia). Management encourages entrepreneurial thinking. If you take ownership of your job, have a strong work ethic, and want to try new ways of doing business journalism, you have a great chance to succeed at ACBJ.

ConsHard to get promoted unless you are willing to move to a different city (ACBJ has offices in 43 markets). Budgets are tight, just like everywhere in journalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing for new ideas and new ways of doing journalism. Let's shoot for annual cost-of-living raises at the minimum.

Will the last person to leave ACBJ please turn out the lights

(Former Employee)

Pros• Superlative health benefits plan (for now)
    • I worked with some good colleagues who became close friends
    • Company matches your 401k investment up to 6%

ConsACBJ is a communications company that can't communicate. Local managers are weak, and the corporate office is out of touch with the individual needs of each market and doesn't listen to what their employees have to say. A lack of organization runs throughout the company, coupled with an unclear, poorly communicated vision for the future at both the local and corporate levels. Wages are far below average, even within the field (which is really saying something). Raises and bonuses are as infrequent and meager. There is zero budget for training, even as performance expectations increase on an almost weekly basis. ACBJ has been running on fumes since the economic downturn; CEO Ray Shaw's death in 2009 only added to the chaos and bad management decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementACBJ's persistent habits of micromanaging trivial matters while ignoring looming HR issues, refusing to get rid of bad hires, and implementing endless workarounds instead of updating aging technology/hardware/software; as well as increasingly putting the bottom line over all other considerations turned my market from a vibrant, invested team into a dispirited group of individuals who don't think beyond what's required and don't feel any ownership for their work. The good ones will move on to careers where their expertise and experience is valued - like I did.

staff isn't big enough

Editorial (Current Employee)

Prosdecent pay, good benefits, everyone is friendly but also seems to know that the turnover is high.

Consnot enough staff for the amount being asked.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more, or have more realistic editorial expectations

Very secure place to work. Not allot of opportunities.

ProsJOb security up until the year you are about to retire then you will get laid off.

ConsComplete lack of respect for the work life balance. You can not have children they will not work around your schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to you employees they have a lot of great ideas. We are not all stupid.

Worked for American City Business Journals? Contribute to the Community!