American Civil Constructors Holdings

5 reviews filtered by
Randy Maher

1. Feast or Famine

I have been working at American Civil Constructors Holdings

Pros

Decent equipment, good equipment manager. Wide variety of projects. Good field supers. Lots of OT

Cons

Poor communication between office/field. Lost a lot of old, good operators during recession, replaced with cheaper Hispanic worker who are not qualified. Safety is not ingrained into corporate culture. Too many layers of management where office personnel (PE's) think they are running the job, not the Super. Lots of OT in leau of higher higher wages.
    Office needs to get field better housing, not the 1st/cheapest place they can find. Factor in travel time.

Advice to Management

Give the field what they need, when they need it. Don't just show up with a lowboy and take equipment when it is still needed and then wonder why things are taking longer and costing more than expected.
    Don't overload jobs with bodies when things are slow. It just creates friction and a bad/unproductive environment.

2. Avoid Them

Former Employee - Foreman in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Foreman in Centennial, CO

I worked at American Civil Constructors Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Date the bosses daughter and you will go far. Date the bosses bosses bosses daughter and you will be golden.

Cons

I reported unsafe work conditions about my supervisors best friend. I was a supervisor in a different position and it was my job to report such major safety violations. My supervisor sometimes came to work with heavy alcohol on his breath. My supervisor was married to the bosses bosses bosses daughter. My life was made miserable after I made the report and while I was not outright demoted I was put into harder and harder work conditions until, 6 months later I was fired without cause.

Advice to Management

Only though industry independent watchdogs made available to all employees all the time for reporting will this company ever be a reasonable place to work. Could-a, should-a sued but instead, I moved on.

3. Prior employee

Former Employee - Division Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Division Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at American Civil Constructors Holdings

Pros

Had a great history in area, performance, safety, unique projects that characterized and branded the company. It offered growth and personal development to all areas of employment. The company was committed to success at all levels.

Cons

Lost its identity as a forward thinking and preforming company. Senior management at highest level did not stay in touch with division levels. Management decisions that were good for CO did not make them good for CA or WA. Employees were not rewarded for results. ACC lost its character and consequently its core values.

Advice to Management

Listen to people making things happen. Pay attention to the details, the "devil" is in them. Say what you mean and mean what you say, confusion from the upper or senior management sends a message that clearly is demoralizing.

5. great company

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at American Civil Constructors Holdings

Pros

fun, fast paced, lots of responsibility

Cons

poor management of capital projects

Advice to Management

mid level management needs improvement

6. Economy is hitting this company hard, like all others

I have been working at American Civil Constructors Holdings

Pros

Small company feel
    Opportunities to advance once economy picks back up

Cons

Downsizing has created long hours for remaining employees

Advice to Management

Communicate with all employees