American Civil Liberties Union

Susan N. Herman

Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Legislative Counsel in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Legislative Counsel in Washington, DC

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Caring staff, lots of opportunities to work on cool projects and attend meetings with interesting people, good hours, actually making a difference

Cons

Not likely to lead to a job after graduation.

Hire more entry level professionals

Fun place to start professional career

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

Good work, smart people, great friends

Cons

entry level positions are revolving door. Lawyers are mostly cultivated for their advancement.

Interned over the summer

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, communicated with many stake holders, worked directly with the executive director and head of the legal department.

Cons

Did not do anything that really mattered. a lot of busy work that seemed pointless.

I enjoyed my time there. I felt like I was doing quality and effective work constantly. It was a blast mostly.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

Good work environment, lots of young motivated people, opportunities for career growth.

Cons

I had to juggle a lot of tasks daily, the hours can be long and the pay is only decent.

Legal Assistant

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Supportive, engaged staff open to providing training and guidance in each employee's area of interest. As an employee you have many opportunities to volunteer with different projects and program areas outside of your formal position. There is great camaraderie among staff.

Cons

Non-profit pay scale may be problematic for some, however, work-life balance is supported.

Continue to support your workers' growth and development. Remain transparent to ensure that morale stays high and employees continue to feel like a part of the overall organization, not just their program areas.

Great Legal Internship Experience at the ACLU

Current Employee - Legal Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Legal Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and approachable. I never felt hesitant to ask for help and they were always very accommodating to my schedule. My legal internship experience at the ACLU allowed me to enhance my legal writing and research skills. I had the benefit of working during some of the great victories at the USSC. I would highly recommend working here for anyone who has the opportunity to work with the ACLU. The experience is unmatchable, the people are beyond friendly, and it is a wonderful work environment. I have nothing but great things to say about the ACLU and the people working there - not mention the excellent cause it stands for. Getting to know everyone was quick and easy because everyone was so friendly.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that there weren't many people working there, and I personally prefer a larger office environment with many people working there. There would be days when a few people would be gone and the office would feel completely dead because there aren't too many people to begin with.

Upper management is great. Keep doing what you're doing!

Great organization in need of better management.

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union full-time

Pros

The people working here are incredibly intelligent and talented. They love what they do. The office culture is casual and outwardly friendly. Great healthcare benefits.

Cons

Management is poorly trained to supervise, support, and train staff - resulting in low morale and high turn over. There is no HR department. Conflicts between co-workers are often left unresolved - compounding the morale problem. Opportunities for career advancement are few to none.

Hire a dedicated Director of HR. Set up an effective mechanism for co-workers to file complaints against one another. Provide meaningful professional development opportunities to staff.

Wonderful

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

wonderful, brilliant co-workers; was given plenty of responsibility but had to seek it out and show that I could handle it by consistently performing above expectations

Cons

funding cuts; very hierarchical structure

Development Department

Former Employee - Gift Planning Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Gift Planning Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with intelligent, dedicated people.

Cons

Development department is so big that you don't even know everyone's name or function. It's easy to get stuck in one part of the department and you need to fight for more opportunities. There is little to no interaction with any of the legal work going on. So while it's a great company, if you don't love fundraising, it's just any other job.

There needs to be more communication from senior staff to employees, more opportunities to reach across departments and projects.

Great mission, terrible management

Current Employee - Media Strategist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Media Strategist in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are making a difference and exposed to very interesting work an dissues

Cons

No upward growth and has a corporate culture, not a nonprofit culture. Terrible management.

American Civil Liberties Union Photos