American Civil Liberties Union Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
Susan N. Herman

1. One of the best non-profits to work for in the Richmond area!

Former Employee - Associate Director in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Richmond, VA

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Critical nexus of Virginia's legal and activist community. Agreeable work hours. Positive relationship with board members.

Cons

Careerists need not apply. If protecting and advancing civil liberties are not a priority for you look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Explore ways to maintain great relationship among all staff

2. Great place!

Current Employee - Intake Intern
    Current Employee - Intake Intern

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union part-time

Pros

Fast paced, friendly staff. You work on substantial issues, conduct extensive research, and enjoy learning a lot about the legal field.

Cons

Work can be an uphill battle (only able to help insofar as existing law and precedent allows for which can be depressing)

3. True champions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great, talented, hard-working people that were able to overcome some turbulent times and are all about protecting civil liberties.

Cons

Need to catch up with the times and offer workers a bit more than dusty cubicles from the 70's. More employee benefits are needed.

5. Legal Intake Intern

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

The staff is very friendly and helpful. Always willing to given you a hand with work. The attorneys are always making sure that the interns are in the know how about any new cases or anything interesting that they read. Everyone is very laid back. Fast face work and enjoy learning a lot.

Cons

Lot of work and understaffed.

Wonderful

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

wonderful, brilliant co-workers; was given plenty of responsibility but had to seek it out and show that I could handle it by consistently performing above expectations

Cons

funding cuts; very hierarchical structure

Legal Assistant

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive, engaged staff open to providing training and guidance in each employee's area of interest. As an employee you have many opportunities to volunteer with different projects and program areas outside of your formal position. There is great camaraderie among staff.

Cons

Non-profit pay scale may be problematic for some, however, work-life balance is supported.

Advice to Management

Continue to support your workers' growth and development. Remain transparent to ensure that morale stays high and employees continue to feel like a part of the overall organization, not just their program areas.

8. Unbelievable experience

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

Great environment, great people and gratifying work

Cons

I did not have any cons

Advice to Management

be attentive

Fair pay, ambitious and motivated colleagues, great mission and work; I feel proud to work at the ACLU

Pros

My entire career has been in the non-profit sector, and the ACLU is by far the most effectively managed, well-resourced, self-reflective and relevant organization for which I've worked. While your experience can vary by department, by and large this is an organization that attracts smart, thoughtful, hard-working staff who aim to do their best to make a difference in the world, both in the national organization and at state affiliate offices. The workplace is very busy but has a laid-back culture (open and accepting). Good work-life balance (again, depending on your role/department) and generally good managers. I am trusted to do my work and rarely feel micromanaged. Creativity is encouraged. Overall, a great place to work.

Cons

While the organization is always working on - and reflective about - issues of social justice and diversity, there are certainly moments when it's clear there is a lot of work to be done around race and class, both internally and when making decisions about the kinds of work the organization prioritizes and pursues. There are also limited opportunities for professional development.

Incredible organization, impactful work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredibly significant work, many very well educated, smart and committed staff members, challenging issues with which to contend. Knowledge that one's contribution - whatever one's role - could have a significant impact on issues of incredible significance.

Cons

Need to focus so much on fundraising to support the organization's work.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster a culture of excellence and commitment to openness and inquiry. Consider opportunity to develop - and be paid for - curricula for middle and high school students on the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

11. What a pleasure to work for the ACLU

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union (More than a year)

Pros

It was so nice to work with like-minded, equally motivated, smart individuals. I truly enjoyed the work I did and I felt like I was doing something important.

Cons

I was there for too little time to comment on this.

RSS Feed </> Embed