American Civil Liberties Union

Susan N. Herman

Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Legislative Counsel in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Legislative Counsel in Washington, DC

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Caring staff, lots of opportunities to work on cool projects and attend meetings with interesting people, good hours, actually making a difference

Cons

Not likely to lead to a job after graduation.

Hire more entry level professionals

Legal Assistant

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Supportive, engaged staff open to providing training and guidance in each employee's area of interest. As an employee you have many opportunities to volunteer with different projects and program areas outside of your formal position. There is great camaraderie among staff.

Cons

Non-profit pay scale may be problematic for some, however, work-life balance is supported.

Continue to support your workers' growth and development. Remain transparent to ensure that morale stays high and employees continue to feel like a part of the overall organization, not just their program areas.

I enjoyed my time there. I felt like I was doing quality and effective work constantly. It was a blast mostly.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

Good work environment, lots of young motivated people, opportunities for career growth.

Cons

I had to juggle a lot of tasks daily, the hours can be long and the pay is only decent.

Great Legal Internship Experience at the ACLU

Current Employee - Legal Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Legal Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and approachable. I never felt hesitant to ask for help and they were always very accommodating to my schedule. My legal internship experience at the ACLU allowed me to enhance my legal writing and research skills. I had the benefit of working during some of the great victories at the USSC. I would highly recommend working here for anyone who has the opportunity to work with the ACLU. The experience is unmatchable, the people are beyond friendly, and it is a wonderful work environment. I have nothing but great things to say about the ACLU and the people working there - not mention the excellent cause it stands for. Getting to know everyone was quick and easy because everyone was so friendly.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that there weren't many people working there, and I personally prefer a larger office environment with many people working there. There would be days when a few people would be gone and the office would feel completely dead because there aren't too many people to begin with.

Upper management is great. Keep doing what you're doing!

Wonderful

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

wonderful, brilliant co-workers; was given plenty of responsibility but had to seek it out and show that I could handle it by consistently performing above expectations

Cons

funding cuts; very hierarchical structure

Legal Intake Intern

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

The staff is very friendly and helpful. Always willing to given you a hand with work. The attorneys are always making sure that the interns are in the know how about any new cases or anything interesting that they read. Everyone is very laid back. Fast face work and enjoy learning a lot.

Cons

Lot of work and understaffed.

True champions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great, talented, hard-working people that were able to overcome some turbulent times and are all about protecting civil liberties.

Cons

Need to catch up with the times and offer workers a bit more than dusty cubicles from the 70's. More employee benefits are needed.

Great place!

Current Employee - Intake Intern
    Current Employee - Intake Intern

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union part-time

Pros

Fast paced, friendly staff. You work on substantial issues, conduct extensive research, and enjoy learning a lot about the legal field.

Cons

Work can be an uphill battle (only able to help insofar as existing law and precedent allows for which can be depressing)

Summer Legal Intern

Former Employee - Summer Legal Intern in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Summer Legal Intern in Hartford, CT

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fulfilling work with great, talented people. For my position, the hours were flexible and the issues were important to me.

Cons

In my particular position, I worked from home, and I didn't get as much interaction with other people or clients as I would have liked.

Excellent opportunity to learn about current issues and practice key skills.

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

The staff is very helpful if you are inexperienced when you begin. The range of work is broad and interesting. Everyone is very professional but laid back enough that no one fears asking questions. The pay is very fair, especially when so many entry level positions are unpaid.

Cons

Work in this field is pretty limited so it is unlikely to lead directly to further job opportunities. But the skills are portable to any non-profit so it balances out.

American Civil Liberties Union Photos