American Civil Liberties Union

American Civil Liberties Union Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Susan N. Herman

Wonderful

Proswonderful, brilliant co-workers; was given plenty of responsibility but had to seek it out and show that I could handle it by consistently performing above expectations

Consfunding cuts; very hierarchical structure

Legal Intake Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe staff is very friendly and helpful. Always willing to given you a hand with work. The attorneys are always making sure that the interns are in the know how about any new cases or anything interesting that they read. Everyone is very laid back. Fast face work and enjoy learning a lot.

ConsLot of work and understaffed.

True champions

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat, talented, hard-working people that were able to overcome some turbulent times and are all about protecting civil liberties.

ConsNeed to catch up with the times and offer workers a bit more than dusty cubicles from the 70's. More employee benefits are needed.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place!

Intake Intern (Current Employee)

ProsFast paced, friendly staff. You work on substantial issues, conduct extensive research, and enjoy learning a lot about the legal field.

ConsWork can be an uphill battle (only able to help insofar as existing law and precedent allows for which can be depressing)

Summer Legal Intern

Summer Legal Intern (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsFulfilling work with great, talented people. For my position, the hours were flexible and the issues were important to me.

ConsIn my particular position, I worked from home, and I didn't get as much interaction with other people or clients as I would have liked.

Excellent opportunity to learn about current issues and practice key skills.

ProsThe staff is very helpful if you are inexperienced when you begin. The range of work is broad and interesting. Everyone is very professional but laid back enough that no one fears asking questions. The pay is very fair, especially when so many entry level positions are unpaid.

ConsWork in this field is pretty limited so it is unlikely to lead directly to further job opportunities. But the skills are portable to any non-profit so it balances out.

One of the best non-profits to work for in the Richmond area!

Associate Director (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsCritical nexus of Virginia's legal and activist community. Agreeable work hours. Positive relationship with board members.

ConsCareerists need not apply. If protecting and advancing civil liberties are not a priority for you look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementExplore ways to maintain great relationship among all staff

great!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-amazing people to work with

Cons-in an office all day

Law Clerk

Law Clerk (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsAs a law clerk you get a lot of quality experience working on many different research and drafting assignments.The attorneys gave detailed feed back and suggestions to improve your work.

ConsAt times it can get really busy, which sometimes causes you to lose sight of the big picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to involve law clerks as much as possible in the planning and execution stages, for example, try to bring in law clerks more in the litigation strategy and decision making process that you are undertaking.

Good experience

Intern (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIt feels really good to help people!

ConsThe office place is small.

Worked for American Civil Liberties Union? Contribute to the Community!