American Civil Liberties Union Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
31 reviews filtered by
4.2
Susan N. Herman

1. Fair pay, ambitious and motivated colleagues, great mission and work; I feel proud to work at the ACLU

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My entire career has been in the non-profit sector, and the ACLU is by far the most effectively managed, well-resourced, self-reflective and relevant organization for which I've worked. While your experience can vary by department, by and large this is an organization that attracts smart, thoughtful, hard-working staff who aim to do their best to make a difference in the world, both in the national organization and at state affiliate offices. The workplace is very busy but has a laid-back culture (open and accepting). Good work-life balance (again, depending on your role/department) and generally good managers. I am trusted to do my work and rarely feel micromanaged. Creativity is encouraged. Overall, a great place to work.

Cons

While the organization is always working on - and reflective about - issues of social justice and diversity, there are certainly moments when it's clear there is a lot of work to be done around race and class, both internally and when making decisions about the kinds of work the organization prioritizes and pursues. There are also limited opportunities for professional development.

2. Unbelievable experience

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

Great environment, great people and gratifying work

Cons

I did not have any cons

be attentive

3. Great Learning Experience

Former Intern - Legislative Counsel in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Legislative Counsel in Washington, DC

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Caring staff, lots of opportunities to work on cool projects and attend meetings with interesting people, good hours, actually making a difference

Cons

Not likely to lead to a job after graduation.

Hire more entry level professionals

5. Legal Assistant

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supportive, engaged staff open to providing training and guidance in each employee's area of interest. As an employee you have many opportunities to volunteer with different projects and program areas outside of your formal position. There is great camaraderie among staff.

Cons

Non-profit pay scale may be problematic for some, however, work-life balance is supported.

Continue to support your workers' growth and development. Remain transparent to ensure that morale stays high and employees continue to feel like a part of the overall organization, not just their program areas.

6. I enjoyed my time there. I felt like I was doing quality and effective work constantly. It was a blast mostly.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

Good work environment, lots of young motivated people, opportunities for career growth.

Cons

I had to juggle a lot of tasks daily, the hours can be long and the pay is only decent.

7. Great Legal Internship Experience at the ACLU

Current Intern - Legal Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - Legal Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and approachable. I never felt hesitant to ask for help and they were always very accommodating to my schedule. My legal internship experience at the ACLU allowed me to enhance my legal writing and research skills. I had the benefit of working during some of the great victories at the USSC. I would highly recommend working here for anyone who has the opportunity to work with the ACLU. The experience is unmatchable, the people are beyond friendly, and it is a wonderful work environment. I have nothing but great things to say about the ACLU and the people working there - not mention the excellent cause it stands for. Getting to know everyone was quick and easy because everyone was so friendly.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that there weren't many people working there, and I personally prefer a larger office environment with many people working there. There would be days when a few people would be gone and the office would feel completely dead because there aren't too many people to begin with.

Upper management is great. Keep doing what you're doing!

Wonderful

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

wonderful, brilliant co-workers; was given plenty of responsibility but had to seek it out and show that I could handle it by consistently performing above expectations

Cons

funding cuts; very hierarchical structure

9. Legal Intake Intern

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

The staff is very friendly and helpful. Always willing to given you a hand with work. The attorneys are always making sure that the interns are in the know how about any new cases or anything interesting that they read. Everyone is very laid back. Fast face work and enjoy learning a lot.

Cons

Lot of work and understaffed.

10. True champions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great, talented, hard-working people that were able to overcome some turbulent times and are all about protecting civil liberties.

Cons

Need to catch up with the times and offer workers a bit more than dusty cubicles from the 70's. More employee benefits are needed.

11. Great place!

Current Employee - Intake Intern
    Current Employee - Intake Intern

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union part-time

Pros

Fast paced, friendly staff. You work on substantial issues, conduct extensive research, and enjoy learning a lot about the legal field.

Cons

Work can be an uphill battle (only able to help insofar as existing law and precedent allows for which can be depressing)

American Civil Liberties Union Photos