American Civil Liberties Union Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
31 reviews filtered by
4.2
Susan N. Herman

1. Fair pay, ambitious and motivated colleagues, great mission and work; I feel proud to work at the ACLU

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My entire career has been in the non-profit sector, and the ACLU is by far the most effectively managed, well-resourced, self-reflective and relevant organization for which I've worked. While your experience can vary by department, by and large this is an organization that attracts smart, thoughtful, hard-working staff who aim to do their best to make a difference in the world, both in the national organization and at state affiliate offices. The workplace is very busy but has a laid-back culture (open and accepting). Good work-life balance (again, depending on your role/department) and generally good managers. I am trusted to do my work and rarely feel micromanaged. Creativity is encouraged. Overall, a great place to work.

Cons

While the organization is always working on - and reflective about - issues of social justice and diversity, there are certainly moments when it's clear there is a lot of work to be done around race and class, both internally and when making decisions about the kinds of work the organization prioritizes and pursues. There are also limited opportunities for professional development.

2. Smart, overworked people

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

The people who work at the ACLU are incredibly talented and in it to fight the good fight.

Cons

I think your experience depends a lot on what office you work in. If you're at a state affiliate, your boss at your affiliate will determine your experience. I had a terrible boss who constantly demanded high goals without giving the staff the resources to meet those goals. Overall, it was a frustrating and disappointing experience.

Long hours.

Poor pay.

3. Unbelievable experience

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

Great environment, great people and gratifying work

Cons

I did not have any cons

be attentive

5. Great Learning Experience

Former Intern - Legislative Counsel in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Legislative Counsel in Washington, DC

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Caring staff, lots of opportunities to work on cool projects and attend meetings with interesting people, good hours, actually making a difference

Cons

Not likely to lead to a job after graduation.

Hire more entry level professionals

6. Fun place to start professional career

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

Good work, smart people, great friends

Cons

entry level positions are revolving door. Lawyers are mostly cultivated for their advancement.

7. Interned over the summer

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, communicated with many stake holders, worked directly with the executive director and head of the legal department.

Cons

Did not do anything that really mattered. a lot of busy work that seemed pointless.

8. Legal Assistant

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supportive, engaged staff open to providing training and guidance in each employee's area of interest. As an employee you have many opportunities to volunteer with different projects and program areas outside of your formal position. There is great camaraderie among staff.

Cons

Non-profit pay scale may be problematic for some, however, work-life balance is supported.

Continue to support your workers' growth and development. Remain transparent to ensure that morale stays high and employees continue to feel like a part of the overall organization, not just their program areas.

9. I enjoyed my time there. I felt like I was doing quality and effective work constantly. It was a blast mostly.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

Good work environment, lots of young motivated people, opportunities for career growth.

Cons

I had to juggle a lot of tasks daily, the hours can be long and the pay is only decent.

10. Great Legal Internship Experience at the ACLU

Current Intern - Legal Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - Legal Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and approachable. I never felt hesitant to ask for help and they were always very accommodating to my schedule. My legal internship experience at the ACLU allowed me to enhance my legal writing and research skills. I had the benefit of working during some of the great victories at the USSC. I would highly recommend working here for anyone who has the opportunity to work with the ACLU. The experience is unmatchable, the people are beyond friendly, and it is a wonderful work environment. I have nothing but great things to say about the ACLU and the people working there - not mention the excellent cause it stands for. Getting to know everyone was quick and easy because everyone was so friendly.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that there weren't many people working there, and I personally prefer a larger office environment with many people working there. There would be days when a few people would be gone and the office would feel completely dead because there aren't too many people to begin with.

Upper management is great. Keep doing what you're doing!

Great organization in need of better management.

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union full-time

Pros

The people working here are incredibly intelligent and talented. They love what they do. The office culture is casual and outwardly friendly. Great healthcare benefits.

Cons

Management is poorly trained to supervise, support, and train staff - resulting in low morale and high turn over. There is no HR department. Conflicts between co-workers are often left unresolved - compounding the morale problem. Opportunities for career advancement are few to none.

Hire a dedicated Director of HR. Set up an effective mechanism for co-workers to file complaints against one another. Provide meaningful professional development opportunities to staff.

American Civil Liberties Union Photos