American College of Cardiology Reviews

2.8
Shalom "Shal" Jacobovitz

1. Friendly People and Great Work Environment

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved working with my colleagues and truly enjoyed the atmosphere. Definitely was more collegial and definitely less stuffy than most places to work in the DC Metro area.

Cons

Upward mobility wasn't there and employee reviews were rather lacking. Hopefully this has changed for the better since my departure.

Advice to Management

Definitely look at your staff and their progressions and their goals. This could be said for any employer, but it holds true here as well.

2. A Non-Profit that

Current Employee - Team Leader in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Washington, DC

I have been working at American College of Cardiology full-time

Pros

deep talent bench, remarkably rich content resources, the NCDR clinical data assets are the gold standard for professional associations. Fledgling OD initiative underway.Generous salaries and benefits. Commitment to work-life balance.

Cons

consensus based decision making sometimes carried to extremes. Organizational culture that is highly allergic to formal project management.

Lots of Turnover

I have been working at American College of Cardiology full-time

Pros

Most staff are pleasant and work hard to positively impact the healthcare community. I would only recommend applying for positions in the Science & Quality Division, as they seem to have the best working relationships.

Cons

Continual reorganization. Nearly all structure (include job titles) were removed to make "one big happy family" of teams. Things remain in a state of confusion and there is a serious need of workflow process improvement. The managers put on a happy face. I'm not sure if they're oblivious to the problems or if they're just trying to hide the issues (equally bad).

Advice to Management

ACC's management surveys do not distinguish between senior management and middle management. Senior management seems fine, but some mid-level managers should be removed from their positions. Some are incompetent, give no direction, expect undefined results, withhold benefits, and do not communicate. When at least three members of a manager's team quit or relocate to get away from a manager, shouldn't that be a red flag? The remaining staff are forced to work overtime and continue to be treated with no respect.

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very autonomous and supportive environment. My management encouraged me to share my ideas and always gave solid guidance. My supervisors encouraged work/life balance and in return, I was motivated to strive to go above and beyond. Success was rewarded and mishaps were coached. Members are amazing and appreciative of dedicated staff. Salary and benefits were strong.

Cons

Some people may find the environment too heavily based on politics but I found that if you treat staff and members with respect, this wasn't too much of a factor.

Advice to Management

The experience of former staff will vary greatly depending on the manager they had so continue to weed out those on the gravy train and promote the advancement of those who actually care about the mission of the College.

Big gap between employees & management, lots of favoritism

Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are really good and, if you are luck enough to be full-time, you will get a decent salary + benefits package. Staff are great - I can't emphasize that enough - and workplace conditions are really good. Clean, friendly, casual dress policy. HR tries to make work seem very employee-friendly but using different words doesn't exactly change what really happens.

Cons

There is a very big gap between management and core staff. Almost no communication, no feedback, no check-ins, no discussion. No communication is common - not with other departments, not with HR, not with your boss. You just have to guess if you are doing things right. Sometimes you are told if you are doing something wrong, but not always. Management always seems (and says they are) really busy but you are never really sure what they are doing … and they come in late and leave early. The company has a nasty habit of employing temps - and then abruptly firing them - rather than hiring people full-time. Financially it makes sense, as it saves them having to pay a full salary and benefits. It's just not fair, as the actual permanent staff spend a lot of time and effort training temps just to have them gone and someone else in their place the next week. Also, temps can be there for a couple of weeks or some can be strung out for a couple of years. Lastly, there's little room for growth or career advancement. You are either at the $40k - $50k Coordinator level or you are one of the few members of management.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees. Give them feedback. Nurture their careers and their aspirations for growth. Don't let them sit in the same position for ten years and get cocky/bitter/stagnant/bored/careless. Talk to each other. Make sure your employees are getting what they need from you or other departments. TALK. COMMUNICATE. Don't do the revolving temp door thing. It's not fair to anyone, including ACC. You have a really big responsibility to serve your membership base. That is what you are doing - serving, supporting and assisting members. That is the main responsibility of the organization. Don't forget that. Don't let employees get into a place where they are either ill-trained or too demoralized to adequately serve a membership that has a huge impact. Take responsibility. Communicate. Be there.

7. It was a nice place to work for at first but the lack of transparency and favoritism was difficult to handle over time.

Former Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This place had good health and vacation benefits (12 vacation days for the first year and then 18 the second year onwards), friendly atmosphere, decent salary, flexible hours, telework option twice a week after 6 months of working there, generally friendly coworkers and a nice work life balance for most of the year (Longer hours between September and Nov and Jan to March)

Cons

Lack of transparency from upper management; No clear path for promotions or salary raises; Management often micromanages and is not clear about expectations; Lack of a clear training process for new hires.

Advice to Management

Be more clear about expectations with employees. Stop trying to look like the "nice guy" all the time. If you have a problem, be straight up about it and if you have employees that are at risk of being terminated, give them clear warnings and opportunities for improvement. Not wishy washy counter productive talks that leave your employee more confused. Stop micromanaging your employees. You hire smart people so trust them to make smart decisions.

You will not get a substantial raise, unless you work in a certain department or are buddies with senior management

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits and very caring employees. When I left I got so many farewell lunches and an amazing card. And the work life balance was great, that's what kept me there. I could work from home very easily.

Cons

I asked (and deserved) a raise and for 8 months my manager couldn't (or maybe wouldn't, not really sure) get it for me. Yet others in my department received multiple promotions in my 4 years. Promotions don't come with a raise beyond the 3% yearly one that you get every year (which is nice but only 3% for an actual promotion is nothing).

Advice to Management

Recognize those who are loosing money, stop focusing on the measly income of money they bring in and look at how much was wasted too. Don't bring in a team, focus a lot of resources to them, and they really had no purpose at all other then causing problems. And when your employees as a question, don't throw technical business terms at them to make it seem awesome, it's not. They are smarter then that.

A few bad apples ruin the bunch

Former Employee - Passionate Contributor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Passionate Contributor in Washington, DC

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits Lots of awesome people working in NCDR. They are very passionate about the work they do and the sense of purpose rubs off on everyone making you want to work hard to make a real difference in this world we live in. Work Life Balance is great

Cons

Salaries are not the greatest, makes it hard to recruit good people. Poor management is the number one reason I left. Even with all the good friends I made and all the great colleagues I had, some of the managers made going to work like getting teeth pulled out. Ultimately, even with all the great opportunities afforded, working for a control freak boss that is deceptive and dishonest was not helping me in anyway. Even after formally complaining, I was given the opportunity to learn that they plan on keeping this manager in place "forever" which basically meant I would have to leave. These managers get away with these types of things because of this ridiculous "chain of command" notion where everyone must be sub-servant to the manager above them and the "obedient" remain in place indefinitely. There is a move to flatten the organization that started earlier in 2014. This may help remove power from some of these tyrant managers that ultimately contribute to work/life stress and poor morale.

Advice to Management

You have a trust in your hands, don't blow it. Stop running this place like it belongs to you and start listening to your people. There is a lot of potential but you need to know that people are not just cogs! Know that loyalty comes and goes, but integrity is forever so have some integrity and don't just keep people that are obedient servants around because they do your bidding. Be serious about flattening the organization so these terrible managers can start to show their true colors and get rid of them or remove them from management.

10. Research associate

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good environment competitive pay / compensation

Cons

Was not there long enough to comment

Unsure of future

I have been working at American College of Cardiology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance Many benefits Pays well

Cons

I have been working here 4 years and have not had any opportunities to move up. Many decisions made be senior management that are not transparent.

Advice to Management

Keep the loyal employees you have by challenging them, let them innovate, be more transparent.

RSS Feed </> Embed