American College of Cardiology

Updated November 13, 2014
2.5

Shalom "Shal" Jacobovitz
1 Rating

You will not get a substantial raise, unless you work in a certain department or are buddies with senior management

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits and very caring employees. When I left I got so many farewell lunches and an amazing card. And the work life balance was great, that's what kept me there. I could work from home very easily.

Cons

I asked (and deserved) a raise and for 8 months my manager couldn't (or maybe wouldn't, not really sure) get it for me. Yet others in my department received multiple promotions in my 4 years. Promotions don't come with a raise beyond the 3% yearly one that you get every year (which is nice but only 3% for an actual promotion is nothing).

Recognize those who are loosing money, stop focusing on the measly income of money they bring in and look at how much was wasted too. Don't bring in a team, focus a lot of resources to them, and they really had no purpose at all other then causing problems. And when your employees as a question, don't throw technical business terms at them to make it seem awesome, it's not. They are smarter then that.

A few bad apples ruin the bunch

Former Employee - Passionate Contributor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Passionate Contributor in Washington, DC

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Lots of awesome people working in NCDR. They are very passionate about the work they do and the sense of purpose rubs off on everyone making you want to work hard to make a real difference in this world we live in.
    Work Life Balance is great

Cons

Salaries are not the greatest, makes it hard to recruit good people.
    Poor management is the number one reason I left. Even with all the good friends I made and all the great colleagues I had, some of the managers made going to work like getting teeth pulled out. Ultimately, even with all the great opportunities afforded, working for a control freak boss that is deceptive and dishonest was not helping me in anyway. Even after formally complaining, I was given the opportunity to learn that they plan on keeping this manager in place "forever" which basically meant I would have to leave. These managers get away with these types of things because of this ridiculous "chain of command" notion where everyone must be sub-servant to the manager above them and the "obedient" remain in place indefinitely.
    There is a move to flatten the organization that started earlier in 2014. This may help remove power from some of these tyrant managers that ultimately contribute to work/life stress and poor morale.

You have a trust in your hands, don't blow it. Stop running this place like it belongs to you and start listening to your people. There is a lot of potential but you need to know that people are not just cogs! Know that loyalty comes and goes, but integrity is forever so have some integrity and don't just keep people that are obedient servants around because they do your bidding. Be serious about flattening the organization so these terrible managers can start to show their true colors and get rid of them or remove them from management.

Research associate

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good environment
    competitive pay / compensation

Cons

Was not there long enough to comment

Unsure of future

I have been working at American College of Cardiology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Many benefits
    Pays well

Cons

I have been working here 4 years and have not had any opportunities to move up.
    Many decisions made be senior management that are not transparent.

Keep the loyal employees you have by challenging them, let them innovate, be more transparent.

Love this place

I have been working at American College of Cardiology (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work that makes a difference, respectful environment, employees empowered.

Cons

None really. Every job has it's stress points, but stress as the ACC is fairly standard and counterbalanced by good work, flexible schedule, great benefits, and good energy.

a bad place and cannot stay any longer

Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at American College of Cardiology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

DC nice west end location

Cons

control freak supervisor, self arrogant VP, ridiculous job plan, no autonomy

fire some female senior directors and VP, call back those competent former employees

Very Disappointing, If the actual members only knew what was happening.

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

Pros

Great staff, great work/life balance

Cons

Very destructive senior level, no transparency.

ACC is a member organization and not a fortune 500 for profit company. Egos at senior level are very destructive. Big difference between assertiveness and confidence versus someone who has swagger and dominates and dictates. Desire for power control has corrupted many major decision and are a path to nowhere. It's not a sustainable model.

Disappointing

I have been working at American College of Cardiology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees have great benefits and a <35 hour summer work week. Very little work is actually done so there's no late nights or weekends.

Cons

Management unable to think ahead and grossly incompetent [most work is outsourced], no collaboration between business units, and everyone for themselves mentality. Lower than average pay scale. Lack of professionalism across institution. Little room for advancement.

Actually try to do some work towards the ACC mission instead of posturing, blame throwing and CYA activities. Pretend you run a for-profit business - seriously. Really sad that no one can work together even within the same department (yes, your staff dislikes you -- they realize you'll fire them for no good reason at the drop of a hat).

Overall decent place to work

Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

Pros

Above average benefits and salary; other perks such as onsite fitness classes; health checkups; opportunities to engage in social activities with colleagues; interesting work, flexible work hours.

Cons

Hard to get promoted, budget restrictions, meager salary increases. Certain departments seem to be favorites and tend to get promotions more easily. Large number of staff so you can easily be overlooked.

Provide more promotion opportunities; give back some benefits that have been taken away in the recent past.

Excellent work community that was headed downhill

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A large percentage of the staff were highly dedicated to their jobs and worked hard to do more to help the medical community and the public.

Cons

Changes in the overall work environment in 2007-08 turned ACC into an uncomfortable place to work where many people felt on edge on a daily basis, and a lot of good people left due to the changes.

Relax. Get more flexible working arrangements, not less.