American College of Education

Updated September 15, 2014
1.9

Shawntel Landry, Ed.D.

Great vision, poor leadership

I worked at American College of Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, some amazingly talented colleagues, awesome vision of educating educators at an affordable price

Cons

If something sounds too good to be true it usually is. To be a low-cost leader the college expects more out of it's employees than is realistic.

People get promoted based on relationships rather than talent and experience.

The turnover is extremely high.

Show more respect to your employees.

Good pay but chaotic, fear-based culture

Former Employee - Director of Creative Services in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director of Creative Services in Dallas, TX

I worked at American College of Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My salary was decent, and I got a lot of ownership over my projects. Because it feels like a startup company (despite being several years old), you can really take ownership and make an impact in your area. I got good experience for my resume.

Cons

Contant chaos:
    In the period I was there (October 2011 - July 2013) there were 5 different forms of marketing leadership: three different SVPs of marketing and two gaps of several months each with no leadership besides the owner, and all the same results expected. I also witnessed several rounds of layoffs in my short tenure.

Broken culture:
    It felt like bombs were dropping all the time. It was VERY stressful, with a lot of rumors, whispering, alliances, spying, back stabbing, etc. I am mostly referring to the marketing department, but I think other departments (academics in particular) were similar. It's a culture that encourages misbehavior, and it seems like those who play dirty are the ones who survive in this culture. During my exit interview, I discussed these issues, and all HR said was "Yes, we've heard that before." No intention of changing. When people started leaving one after the other, the president did not seem to care or ask what could be done to improve. Instead, she refused to fill the open positions and made the remaining staff struggle on, expecting the same results as before.

Unrealistic expectations:
    The company is trying to be the low-cost leader in the field of online education for education professionals. They don't have the budget to compete with competitors like University of Phoenix or Walden or Western Governor's University. Leadership expects big results on a shoestring budget.

Don't expand into areas of online education that you can't compete in -- like nursing and business degrees.

Show that you care about your employees by evaluating what's broken with your culture. Stop using fear as the main motivator. Otherwise you will continue to be a place where people burn out and leave.

Great Potential- Poor Direction

I worked at American College of Education full-time

Pros

service oriented, passionate visionaries on the board, dedicated employees

Cons

miss-managed, green leadership, lacking critical insight to establish necessary footing

move cautiously and with distinct purpose. Look beyond the presentation and focus on the results.

Most toxic workplace ever

I have been working at American College of Education full-time

Pros

Great pay for all non-academic positions. Great bonus structure for sales team. People with the "right attitude" get promoted from within.

Cons

Terrible pay for academic positions. This is the most toxic workplace I've ever experienced. People scream at each other in the hallways and expletives are a part of normal conversation. Most telling, the academic piece is all smoke and mirrors - there is no academic integrity here.

Run ACE like a college, not a fiefdom.

I'm not buying what ACE is selling

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at American College of Education full-time

Pros

Office was beautiful, great admissions staff, great registrar staff, great support staff.

Cons

unstable organization, academic quality was not prioritized, poor policy development and inconsistent execution. They claim to use data well, but it is really all about how well students do on a short multiple choice test each week that isn't aligned to any standards. Curriculum is written quickly and by a small group of people who are not current in the field. Very little learning expectation. Systems have all sort of issues.

Need a stable group of qualified individuals who know about higher education teacher/administrator preparation

Room for growth

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at American College of Education full-time

Pros

-Best pay i've ever had
    -Flexible in work day, as long as you get your work done

Cons

-Disorganized
    -No idea how to run their business
    -CEO is somehow within the building and absentee at the same time
    -Real, common sense suggestions go without thought
    -Talent is overlooked
    -You will be an overpaid, understimulated zombie.

Get your act together. You're focused on getting some credibility into the business, which is great, and you DEFINITELY need it, but please hire more management that can also focus on day-to-day and process improvement.

Difficult place to work.

I worked at American College of Education full-time

Pros

I wish I had some.

Cons

This company has unrealistic expectations of their employees. People are frequently expected to work nights and weekends; easily working 60+ hours a week. There are no boundaries for personal lives. People in some departments work and travel 6+ days a week.

Management has serious micro-management issues and there are constant wars between departments. Having staff in two states does not help the already lacking communication.

Unfortunately this college is all about the bottom line. Responsible decisions are sacrificed for the sake of "saving money" which really means that we must increase Randy Best's pocketbooks.

Take time to see the stress and dedication that other's are under. Provide support and take time to make decisions. Decisions here are made too quickly based on emotion and response to problems; not based on good business sense.

Little company with a big head

I worked at American College of Education

Pros

Salaries are good if you are a management favorite

Cons

Only the management favorites get bonuses