American College of Healthcare Executives

3.3

Deborah J. Bowen

Big support for education

I worked at American College of Healthcare Executives

Pros

Very generous benefits and support for ongoing education

Cons

Not quick to adapt to new trends or technology

Nice People, Clique-ish

I worked at American College of Healthcare Executives as a contractor

Pros

Calm atmosphere, nice people, and a generally cool place to work. Pay was alright and everyone was mostly on the up about the things.

Cons

They are hesitant to hire freelancers, or anyone who doesn't fit the "association" mold. It felt a little clique-y. There was one upper level person there who seemed to have a problem relating to lower level employees.

Terrible Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at American College of Healthcare Executives full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I met some very nice people in my time there. I have some great friends that are a result of working here. It was also better than my previous job, so that made it tolerable.

Cons

Since Tom Dolan's retirement, the company has been making mistake after mistake, treating employees as if they're not worthwhile and hiring incompetent management. They are so reluctant to promote from within the company, which just doesn't make sense. The hiring and promotion practices are shady at best, with "company policy" only being relevant for some people, but not all. If you happen to be a favorite of the right upper management, they will bend all of the rules for you. If the CEO doesn't like you, you get nowhere. There is zero consistency. In my time there, I spent aproximately 85-90% of my work day bored and playing online. I would ask for work, and would be told I couldn't have more, because it "wasn't my job." They don't want to cross-train or work as a team with anything. They consistently collect feedback from the employees on the pros and cons of working there, but since the feedback never says "You're great and this place is perfect!" they ignore it and claim "this isn't the type of feedback we were looking for." The company claims that innovation is a huge part of the culture, but they refuse to change any of their outdated practices or listen to any ideas that would improve moral and bring in revenue.

If you want someone knowledgable about the position and the company, hire someone who has been there for a few years and doesn't have to be trained on the basics. If you make your employees happy, they'll work harder for you and be an asset when it comes to recruiting members. If you want to make your employees happy, listen to their feedback and make changes based on what they tell you, even if it's not what you want to hear.

Served in various roles over a 5-10 year period

I worked at American College of Healthcare Executives

Pros

Great benefits and decent salary for nonprofit. Relatively easy to keep a work/life balance unless you work in IT or the Executive Office.

Cons

Senior management is out of touch with low-mid level staff. Executive office very difficult to work with. Very tense and uncomfortable work environment.

Good entry level job out of college but not a place to stay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good compensation and benefits, quiet and small office
    Many friendly low and mid level employees
    Great way to network and meet people to help begin your real career with a different org or company

Cons

If you are not accepted as part of a "clique" your progress will be slow and painful. New employees can become ostracized from the culture very quickly if they seem different or question established methods.

Foster a real environment of acceptance and eliminate the damaging clique culture. Treat people fairly and equally. Stop using "that's the way we have always done it" as an excuse to avoid changing/adapting.

Nice place to work

I have been working at American College of Healthcare Executives

Pros

Structured environment so you always know what's expected.

Cons

Too structured and lacks flexibility at times.

Memner of ACHE

I have been working at American College of Healthcare Executives

Pros

Great organization to network . A very good resource to advance to next step in career

Cons

it's PERFECT! I can't think of any cons at all

Keep up the great job!

ACHE - A solid place to work

I have been working at American College of Healthcare Executives

Pros

ACHE works to fulfill its mission, vision and values to advance healthcare leadership to society. To that effect ACHE operates with a commitment to service through a set of Standards of Excellence. These standards ensure that ACHE staff are of high integrity, committed to diversity professionalism, teamwork, innovation and fiscal responsibility. ACHE staff work as a team assume responsibility. ACHE management is committed to life-long learning and innovation. Compensation is good for a non-for profit, benefits (HMO,PPO,LTD,Term Life, 401K) are excellent.

Cons

ACHE is <100 staff, as such there is little room for advancement among the ranks. There is no work from home option, otherwise I find little fault.

Overall, it is a good place to work.

I worked at American College of Healthcare Executives

Pros

Benefits package, including salary and insurance, were very competitive. Staff were friendly and supportive. The paid time off policy was generous.

Cons

There is little room for growth or promotions. Innovative and creative ideas are too often disregarded.

Try to think outside the box and really listen to the ideas of staff.