American Council on Exercise

Be The First To
Add Photos

Happy Camper

San Diego, CA

ProsI currently work here, and I love it! There have been lots of changes in my tenure, but that comes with any company of any size. The leadership is supportive and really cares about the employees. They pay for my insurance which is a huge help, and my manager is very supportive. There's a free gym, car washes, dry cleaning and shipping all onsite, which makes errands very convenient. I I'm a happy camper!

ConsWe are all spread a little too thin sometimes, but that comes with growing pains I think, and we've grown a lot since I started here!

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that communication is important and never lose the concern for your staff. They make all your money.

A good place to work even if you're not interested in a fitness-related career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsExcellent mission; good executive team; good work environment; people are very nice, friendly and easy to get along with. Sometimes the work is extremely interesting and engaging, other times - not so much (but that's life)

ConsLack of career development; very top-down direction - not much interactive or organic collaboration between all levels of employees; limited sick time - only 5 days/year with no long-term accrual - very limiting

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a system for developing and promoting internal talent

What used to be a wonderful place to work, now completely lost - such a shame

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat mission and area of work where you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others, interesting and meaningful subject matter, small company in good and central location, decent benefits and fair pay, ability to make an impact even if you are not in a management level, was once thought of as a wonderful place to work (people loved their jobs, a true team environment and fun place to work, challenging work and respectful coworkers) - formerly anyway

ConsA new executive leader was hired that completely changed the environment and leads by fear, Now negative and distrusting, a huge percentage of employees at every level of the company have jumped ship or been fired to include many of the top performers if they were not willing to become a follower of the new regime, Very distrusting work environment, overall sense of people hating coming to work each day. CEO is not strong leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementWas hoping to hear things had gotten better but so sad no improvement. Remember the good ol days - when you had a positive work environment your revenues prospered. You had a great team. It's not too late, and it's amazing the impact one person can have - to include if you remove them from the situation.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This was a great stepping stone for my career.

Marketing (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsAble to work on multiple types of projects to get a broad experience level. Very entrepreneurial and intuitive spirit when developing strategies. Friendly and engaging management team.

ConsNo real clear direction and formal structure when developing business plans. Little guidance on new endeavors from management team. Like most companies there are politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to not sacrifice quality of director/sr. manager level positions for lower salary candidates and/internal loyalty to employees even though they don't have the expertise or meet the requirements.

Worked for American Council on Exercise? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Council on Exercise reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by American Council on Exercise employees.