American Council on Exercise

CEO

1. Great Company

Former Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Council on Exercise full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company does not expect more than 40 hours out of you, and is a superb group to work for. I worked under David Fischer and I can say he was one of the best team leads I have ever had. David is a level-headed, genuine, kind individual.

Lots of great people. Everyone is wonderful. Good sense of humor and great work/life balance.

Cons

Moving up in roles can be challenging and sometimes dangerous depending on which part of the company you work in.

On tech side it can be harder to gain trust and access to more complicated projects.

Marketing needs to work on validation of business ideas before pushing tech too far down rabbit holes.

Advice to Management

Management was great.

2. Happy Camper

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at American Council on Exercise full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I currently work here, and I love it! There have been lots of changes in my tenure, but that comes with any company of any size. The leadership is supportive and really cares about the employees. They pay for my insurance which is a huge help, and my manager is very supportive. There's a free gym, car washes, dry cleaning and shipping all onsite, which makes errands very convenient. I I'm a happy camper!

Cons

We are all spread a little too thin sometimes, but that comes with growing pains I think, and we've grown a lot since I started here!

Advice to Management

Remember that communication is important and never lose the concern for your staff. They make all your money.

3. A good place to work even if you're not interested in a fitness-related career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Council on Exercise full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent mission; good executive team; good work environment; people are very nice, friendly and easy to get along with. Sometimes the work is extremely interesting and engaging, other times - not so much (but that's life)

Cons

Lack of career development; very top-down direction - not much interactive or organic collaboration between all levels of employees; limited sick time - only 5 days/year with no long-term accrual - very limiting

Advice to Management

Create a system for developing and promoting internal talent

5. What used to be a wonderful place to work, now completely lost - such a shame

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Council on Exercise full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission and area of work where you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others, interesting and meaningful subject matter, small company in good and central location, decent benefits and fair pay, ability to make an impact even if you are not in a management level, was once thought of as a wonderful place to work (people loved their jobs, a true team environment and fun place to work, challenging work and respectful coworkers) - formerly anyway

Cons

A new executive leader was hired that completely changed the environment and leads by fear, Now negative and distrusting, a huge percentage of employees at every level of the company have jumped ship or been fired to include many of the top performers if they were not willing to become a follower of the new regime, Very distrusting work environment, overall sense of people hating coming to work each day. CEO is not strong leader.

Advice to Management

Was hoping to hear things had gotten better but so sad no improvement. Remember the good ol days - when you had a positive work environment your revenues prospered. You had a great team. It's not too late, and it's amazing the impact one person can have - to include if you remove them from the situation.

This was a great stepping stone for my career.

Former Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Council on Exercise

Pros

Able to work on multiple types of projects to get a broad experience level. Very entrepreneurial and intuitive spirit when developing strategies. Friendly and engaging management team.

Cons

No real clear direction and formal structure when developing business plans. Little guidance on new endeavors from management team. Like most companies there are politics.

Advice to Management

Be sure to not sacrifice quality of director/sr. manager level positions for lower salary candidates and/internal loyalty to employees even though they don't have the expertise or meet the requirements.