American Councils for International Education

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dan E Davidson

Nice place to start a career

Washington, DC

I have been working at American Councils for International Education full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNice place to work, quiet environment, nice and intelligent people to work with.

ConsThere is no room to move up.

American Councils

I have been working at American Councils for International Education

ProsWorking downtown is lovely. That's about it.

ConsPoor salary. Bad management.

Not a bad place to work if you want a temp job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Councils for International Education as a contractor

ProsIf you become a recruiter or res director or hub director, you get to live abroad and make a decent salary with many expenses paid by the company. A great way to work with young bright students. Employees are interesting, well-traveled people.

ConsAC attempts to approach study abroad and language immersion programs in a scientific way and there is way too much regulation.

I've enjoyed my time at American Councils and learned a lot. It's been a fantastic first job in the industry.

I have been working at American Councils for International Education

ProsFriendly, social staff, laid-back atmosphere, great for optimal work-life balance, excellent for multilingual people, super-friendly President who will actually give you the time of day...

ConsHard to get position here without a second or even third language. Non-profit pay. Don't have much emphasis on hiring from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone from within the organisation applies for a position in the organisation, they should be shown the curtesy of an interview even if you know that there's no chance of them being the best fit for the job.

Fair pay and meaningful professional experience for college-aged interns

Curriculum Development Intern (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at American Councils for International Education as an intern for more than a year

ProsI worked at American Councils for 5 summers as a paid intern and found their treatment of entry-level employees incredibly impressive. They offered me fair hourly pay and increased my responsibilities from basic administrative tasks to more advanced tasks involving translation, leadership, planning and organization, and other things that were engaging and offered me valuable career experience as an intern. It is clear that they value their employees and try to provide a warm work environment, as evidenced by the placement of large community spaces (two large kitchens/eating areas), employee teams and good benefits. Leadership was very warm and had little of the obnoxious power plays and hierarchy that I have noticed in other internships. I would certainly come back here if they offered me a permanent position.

ConsI found that communication between departments was fairly limited, at least for interns and entry-level employees, which limited my networking opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps organize some intern mixers to encourage younger employees to learn more about the organization outside of what individual departments do. Other than that, keep up the good work!

Great Non-Profit for International Ed!

Washington, DC

I have been working at American Councils for International Education full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunities to take initiative and be creative
Growing quickly even in recession plus fair pay and benefits
Recognition for going the extra mile
Room to move up and within the organization based on your strengths
GREAT PEOPLE!
Work that I believe in

ConsMost people need to put in extra hours - but it's not a chore
Budgets subject to federal funding crises

Great company to work for

Alumni Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at American Councils for International Education part-time for more than a year

Prosfriendly environment, good part-time job, career growth

Conslow budget for projects, lack of motivation in a lot of alumni

Like working with family

Communications Officer (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at American Councils for International Education full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people
Interesting material
downtown location
great benefits and fair pay

Consdifficult to get promotions
not a lot of opportunity to take initiative
won't be recognized for going the extra mile

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize those who work harder and reward them!

No Room for Growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Councils for International Education full-time for less than a year

ProsVery collegial, friendly staff. Lots of opportunities to travel and use ones language skills.

ConsIf you work a temporary job with AC (recruiter, resident director) don't expect that to mean that you will get priority consideration for future jobs. Pay is quite low for overseas positions. Little in the way of performance review. Lots of unpaid overtime, including entire work days uncompensated while on business trips.

Great team

I have been working at American Councils for International Education part-time

ProsNot too much work, fun people to work with

ConsDoesn't contrubute all that great to your personal development, doesn't pay well

Worked for American Councils for International Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Councils for International Education reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Councils for International Education CEO Dan E Davidson. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by American Councils for International Education employees.