American Cruise Lines

American Cruise Lines Reviews

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
3.3

Fast growing company with a great group of people.

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Guilford, CT
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work atmosphere with a bunch of great people to work with.
    The company has been growing at an outstanding rate over the last few years.
    Many opportunities to take on new projects within the company and expand your professional experience.

Cons

After working here for about half of a year I have yet to find any real drawbacks.

A bad experince

Former Contractor - Steward
    Former Contractor - Steward

I worked at American Cruise Lines as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The new and interesting people you meet in training and on the ship. One of my checks was for 1,500. That's because people tipped!

Cons

You have to live with your coworkers. The dorm room is tiny cramped with 4 people. The managers openly show favoritism to the workers they like. The break time is very short and the food is not that vegetarian friendly. You make $30 a day and then only more if the passengers tip. Must be very physically strong for the job. You will be running up and down a river cruise ship all day.

Improve employee moral. Have a personality test done and match people that match up in dorm rooms. Pay employees a decent wage so they want to work the full three month contact. Also show professionalism by not showing who your favorite employee is.

If you are considering working here please steer clear. This is not a good company. You will regret it

Former Employee - Assistant Hotel Manager in Guilford, CT
    Former Employee - Assistant Hotel Manager in Guilford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free travel, food, accommodations, uniforms

Cons

Not very organized, extremely long hours managers are expected to work over 100 hours per week for at least 6 weeks at a time with no days off. Poorly trained line employees that can only work for 12 weeks maximum then new staff is hired to replace them so there's constantly new employees arriving every week. Lack of corporate standards, no property management system etc.

People need days off and 100 plus hours per week is too much for any human being. The pay is too low compared similar positions and for the number of hours worked. A company wide property management system is badly needed. More structure and standard operating procedures and they need to be enforced to many people are just doing things their own way and I never really understood what was the corporate standard way of doing things was. Please hire better qualified people who actually like working in the hospitality industry.

Loving Working in our CT Office.

I have been working at American Cruise Lines

Pros

The greatest part about ACL is the opportunities they make available to you right from the start. You'll begin working on a number of different projects right from the beginning with a team that really supports your efforts. The atmosphere at ACL is great, everyone is friendly and says hello to each other. It's a really friendly place to work, with a group of people who encourage you to come up with great ideas to help the company. Management is friendly and open, and any great ideas you have are welcomed and appreciated.

Cons

My only complaint is that the benefits aren't fantastic, and the home office could do better to get some of it's home office employees to the ship.

Keep on doing what you are doing!

My Experience Was Great

I worked at American Cruise Lines

Pros

I think it all depends on who you work with, from fellow stewards to managers. I was on the Queen of the Mississippi and it was a blast. Granted it was like 15-17 hour days but the people that worked there made it seem okay.

Cons

I've heard many bad stories of other boats. If you can choose go to Queen of the Mississippi.

It is satisfying to work for a company that allows me to travel and hone my video production skills simultaneously.

Current Employee - Media Production Specialist in Guilford, CT
    Current Employee - Media Production Specialist in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One great thing about about working at American Cruise Lines are my co-workers. It is rewarding knowing that marketing concepts that I come up with aren't just accepted but enriched by feedback given to me by our marketing team. Our marketing team has made us all better in our respected fields. Another great aspect of our company is the product itself. Being in the video field, I have had the opportunity to visit our ships and experience what our guests experience first hand. I speak honestly when I say that the cruises we offer are exceptional in luxury and experience.

Cons

I have yet to find any real drawbacks to my employment. American Cruise Lines is a family run organization and when you are employed there, you become part of the family.

Management has always worked as a part of a team rather than the head of a team, and I thoroughly enjoy being a part of that experience.

Great company that is rapidly growing and listens to and implements feedback by employees

Current Employee - Cruise Specialist (Sales) in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Cruise Specialist (Sales) in Sandy, UT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and great people to work with. A lot of potential to earn decent money. Marketing and management takes and implements feedback that is given by employees in many cases. Great educated clients to worth with and never any cold calling. Flexible schedule

Cons

Benefits are horrible cost wise. Commission isn't nearly as much as it should be based on the cost of products. Minimal vacation time that increases slightly with tenure.

Pay more in commission and give better vacation time and more reasonable benefits.

Sales Management

Current Employee - Sales Management in Guilford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Management in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for with much potential for advancement. I have worked for the company for over 15 years and my sales position and salary have grown along with the companies growth. Management is supportive to the sales department which allows Cruise Specialist opportunities to increase their earnings.

I have always believed that you need to enjoy your job and I not only enjoy what I do at American Cruise Lines but I also have fun while working. The office staff is a good group of professionals that respect co-workers. The clients that we work with on a daily basis are a delight!

Cons

Work some weekends due to travel.

Manager

Current Contractor - Manager in Guilford, CT
    Current Contractor - Manager in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Meeting passengers and crew members.

Cons

The ethics of this company leave a lot to be desired. You are not treated like a human being and NOONE cares about you or the experience.

Listen to those with experience. Stop treating people like dogs and be HONEST with crew and passengers. STOP making us lie to people and jeopardize our integrity.

American Cruise Lines is a pretty decent employer

Current Employee - Customer Service in Guilford, CT
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, office workplace, clean, organized, excellent clients

Cons

pay isnt that great, late hours

update your website