American Cruise Lines

Steward

Former Employee - Steward  in  Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Steward in Providence, RI

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time for less than a year

Pros

While working for this company, I was able to travel to many places, meet new people, make very decent money and if I stayed longer I would have tried to get promoted and it probably would have happened.

Cons

Working for this company, you are away from family and friends, you are overworked, you have no time for yourself until 9 pm at night, you have very long days and you are put in one room with 9 other people where you have to share everything. The turnover was horrible. Every week we had someone new joining us that we had to train.

Giving people time off is something I would consider if I was management and giving people more breaks. In order for the crew to be successful, they need a break to replenish and get themselves together. For example, doing laundry. There was never time to wash your uniform.

Most Worldly and Amazing Experience a girl from Montana could ask for!!!!

Former Employee - Onboard Hotel Officer  in  Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Onboard Hotel Officer in Billings, MT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for American Cruise Lines can fall nothing short of Fantastic! I loved my time onboard and every day I miss working for them. The friendships you make with your co-workers will last forever. You get the opportunity to meet new passengers every week from all walks of life. All of the ports present you with new history, scenery and activities to indulge in. Life onboard will teach you to be organized, tidy and prepared. As a person you will grow and develop into your true self. The experiences will never leave you and to top it off these experiences add to your resume and open countless doors for you in the future. Pay is decent and the bonuses great! You get 3 meals a day (and the option to sometimes dine ashore and try local cuisine is always a perk too). In the time I was onboard I was able to work my way up from Cruise Director to Hotel Manager, this company truely believes in their employees and giving them the opportunity to grow.

Cons

All I can truely say is being away from my daughter weeks at a time was very hard. However, if I was not a single mother I would still be with ACL.

Keep up the good work. You have a wonderful company with wonderful clientel and I appreciate the opportuity you gave me.

Never Had a Problem, Great Experience

Former Employee - Deck Hand  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Deck Hand in Charleston, SC

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay was good! Especially for a young person with no college degree. All expenses were paid, the food was great, the living conditions were ok, college dorm style. I was a deckhand on the cruise line, and though the job was tough, that's what we signed up for. You will work every day, and go to bed tired, but I loved every minute of it! I loved visiting the new ports, and made a lot of friends, some of whom I still talk to years later! I did not have a problem with management, our mates and captains were nice and professional. All the hotel management and cruise directors were very friendly. The chefs made delicious food. I would recommend to any young person that wants an awesome experience and doesn't mind hard work.

Cons

The no days off kind of get to you, but you get laundry day as a deck hand once a week, and that is kind of like a day off. All you do is wash clothes and fold them, you get to sit and take breaks in between loads. I also wished there was a place for the workers to gather to hang out. Men and women weren't allowed in each others quarters. We had to gather in the dining room until curfew then we went to our rooms. Also, better internet on the boat. I think the only place I could get good wifi was on the stairs of the laundry room.

Maybe during the interview process, let the potential employees know exactly what they are in for to help reduce turnover.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Deck Hand

Current Employee - Deckhand  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Deckhand in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time for less than a year

Pros

One of those "once in a lifetime" experiences. The friends you will make from working with a tight-knit group of peers. I would a liken it to "college aged summer camp", you do put in the work but you will save up a lot of money and will have a great time spending your free time with rest of the crew. You will save money because you really have no time to spend it. You get to see parts of the country you might have otherwise never thought of visiting. This was recommended to me through a friend I knew from school and if you ask either of us, it was a life experience we would probably not trade up. Dirty Bird summer '07 4 life!!

Cons

The company really caters to a certain niche market which is old, old people...So the decor and the layout of the ship is suited for that. You do work longs hours and as a deckhand on any water worthy vessel you have to work all hours of the day and night(firewatch and you actually steer the ship when sailing to the next port). You might get really bored in your free time if not creative with it. It also really depends on who you get as a direct supervisor whether its the hotel mgr or the first mate, it will vary.

Be more considerate in the expectations you have for the crew members who come aboard to work for a season. Most of us are just college aged kids who do work hard but do not have any intentions of become a merchant marine or mapping out a career as a hotel maid or restaurant server. I had a first mate who came on for a week and just could not get passed the idea that we are college kids on our summer break and we aren't going to run around and do things perfectly or efficiently as the coast guard. BE REAL... The other first mate who was with us the majority of the summer was GREAT and even though the crew caused a ruckas from time to time, still understood we are just college kids on summer break. Also was not impressed when I was working on the American Eagle on the Chesapeake line and you guys got desperate for crew and hired 40- 50 year old transient workers...

Corporate office employee (current) - do not work here

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time for more than a year

Pros

fun group of people to work with. and the town of Guilford is nice.

Cons

In your first year you get no vacation time. NONE. Make sure you ask about this if they offer you a job because they do not tell you this until after you've accepted and started. After you've been with the company for a full 12 months you get 5 days of vacation every year.

You barely have time off for holidays. I.E. You work the day after Thanksgiving and if Christmas or New Years falls on a holiday you get no days off. Any days that the company is closed, if you're in your first 6 months of employment you don't get paid. Benefits...you're not eligible for health care until you've been with the company for 6 months. Cost is very high. A family plan for their premium package is $850 a paycheck. Individual is over $250 a pay check.

Please keep these things in mind if you decide to work here. I wish I had known these things before accepting my job.

Review your company policies. There's a reason why people leave after 3 months or less.

Great First Out of College Job

Former Employee - Cruise Director
    Former Employee - Cruise Director

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time for more than a year

Pros

IF you are a cruise director:
    you get to go on most of the tours with the passengers to see every port we stop in
    call BINGO
    buy gifts
    constantly talk/meet with new people
    market yourself and make great connections
    management responsibility -- cross trained for every other mgmt. position, great for resume
    travel, food, rent all FREE
    bank those paychecks!

You sometimes make lifelong friends

Cons

long hours, no days off, upper management constantly calling your phone when you are trying to do your job
    no breaks
    no appreciation for anything from the upper management in the office

Be honest with your employees and your on board staff
    Give them encouragement and applaud them when they do a good job
    Call the cell phones with something valid, not to just ask how sales are going
    Don't base the success of a trip on the amount of future bookings made
    Make sure to full train anyone who you send to the boats, not just send them and expect the managers to take care of it when we are constantly running around taking care of everything else.

Wonderful Time:)

Former Employee - Steward  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Steward in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time for less than a year

Pros

Traveling was the biggest for me. I had never been on the east coast prior to working for ACL and I got to see everything I wanted and more.

Cons

Working everyday was sometimes tiresome, but we got our duties done and were able to have time off the ship.

Spend more time training new people that come on the ship. You can't just throw somebody into the fire and expect them not to burn. They will just end up walking off if you set them up with failure.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Steward  in  Bangor, ME
    Former Employee - Steward in Bangor, ME

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you like being on a boat and working for several weeks at a time, then I would definitely recommend this company to you. I found that it was pretty easy to get along with just about everyone on the boat. It was definitely a different job experience for me, but I did enjoy working for them.

Cons

Being in small quarters with the other women workers. Long days.

Unique experience with great money opportunities and travel

Former Employee - Deckhand  in  Deltona, FL
    Former Employee - Deckhand in Deltona, FL

I worked at American Cruise Lines as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I loved the places I visited. Especially the Hudson river cruise (one of my favorites). The people I worked with were fantastic and helped me get into the industry an gave me tons of information to help me in my career. ACL is definitely a stepping stone. I received tons of experience I used to get a job with larger cruise ships and it gave me confidence to apply to Paul Hall Center of Maritime Training and pursue a career in the maritime industry. Now I'm a licensed mariner, and have over 6 1/2 years of allotted sea time. Steady work with steady pay. Great for the young like 18-26 year old.

Cons

Long hours, lack of appreciation for hard work put into the weeks of your contract, and little breaks. No bonuses like were promised at time of interview. Short contracts with no guarantee of return employment. You have to buy your own flight to get to the ship, and purchase one from the ship to get home.

Consider keeping the 12 week long contracts, but after a 7th or 8th week, do an internal performance revue of the employees and at the end the 12 weeks give the results of the revues to those who took it. The one reason the bad revues keep popping up is the lack of confidence from Guilford, maybe encourage the current employees to continue their efforts. Make it possible for those who voluntarily left the company to return to work for the company, no one should be "blacklisted" just because they quit on their own volition.

You will Sail with this Opportunity!!!

Former Employee - Steward  in  Guilford, CT
    Former Employee - Steward in Guilford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I was a STEWARD, and loved every minute of it. I got to sail the great Columbia River in the Pacific Northwest, the great rivers of Florida, the Great South Charleston- Jacksonville...You get to serve great guests who love to sail, and look forward to your great service. I learned so much with the opportunity ACL provided. The friendships with my fellow stewards was amzing and still cherish them. Managers top notch. Drew, Mike Olivio, Laura, Chelsey, Nikki, Paul, Joe.

Cons

No cons at all, such a great and pleasant experience

Great Job to all the managers! Especially DREW

American Cruise Lines Photos

Worked for American Cruise Lines? Contribute to the Community!