American Dental Partners Reviews

American Dental Partners Chairman, President, and CEO Gregory A. Serrao
Gregory A. Serrao

Think First Before You Join

I have been working at American Dental Partners full-time

Pros

There are some very nice, hardworking people at the location I work in. My manager is great and I like working for him/her. He/she doesn't buy into the bad politics others do and doesn't just spew the company rhetoric. He/she cares what I think. Other departments are good too. I needed help and they worked with me and the insurance company on my behalf well after the end of the business day. I also hear them checking in with colleagues to see how their experiences are. They sincerely want to hear about how they can help. I like that I can earn money and prizes for doing stuff to better my health. The benefits are good (a little expensive) and the company does a lot for charities. There are a lot of new people.

Cons

People feel overwhelmed, over worked and under paid. Some take breaks multiple times a day and appear to have ample free time. Some teams get help whenever they need it. Others don't. There is not an inspiring work climate. Some teams have decreased to bare minimums without the talent needed. Some managers repremand people in the hall. Confidential discussions are not confidential. I can honestly say that this company does not treat all with respect. I would say it depends who you are or who you report to. A common occurrence is to have one senior person walk right past you without a hello or a response to your hello. Assistants can be rude and disrespectful daily and is an accepted practice. Most employees do not have access to programs that are supposed to assist in attaining goals and aid in professional and personal growth. There is no time for growth - not enough time to complete work. One of our teams is supposed to help retain and reward the top talent and provide development opportunities. They mostly have closed doors and/or are out of the office. A few have attitude issues. Some teams just have a lot of turnover. The talent is leaving. Some good managers and staff’ look burnt out. I've seen them in early and stay late. Staff cries in the bathroom. Dress code, seat changes and hours worked are more important than morale. Cubes are small. Working from home is not allowed, except for the chosen few. You better get to work in a snow storm or you are looked down on. Pay is low, no tuition reimbursement, limited training.

Advice to Management

You will continue to lose good people if you continue the way you are. Many are looking for outside opportunities. Pay attention to whats said on this website and others about you. Think why we need to express ourselves outside of the office - because you don't hear or don't care. Do not let assistants run the company. Get help for teams that have to much work and decrease teams that don't have enough to do. The distribution of work is off. Practice your sacred core values.

2. Growing and Working Hard to Get More Growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at American Dental Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Investing in DeNovos for growth and opportunities
    Made some acquisitions in 2014
    Looking to the future
    401K Match
    Flex Hours
    Hiring

Cons

Change and lack of clarity on why change
    Some people getting laid off due to changes

Advice to Management

Get the company growing...that makes for a lot of excitment

It was extremely frustrating.

I worked at American Dental Partners

Pros

The co-workers were absolutely amazing. There was a lot of flexibility in everyone's schedule and excellent PTO. The location of the office was very great as well.

Cons

The internal controls were horrible and did not teach employees anything. Management did not work as long as their employees and this was a problem.

Advice to Management

Management needs to have more internal controls themselves because they're not held accountant for very much. Things that need signed should never be back dated. Managers should not just take employees word on something, but check for themselves.

Patient Service Representative

I have been working at American Dental Partners full-time

Pros

At this point I can not think of one pro.

Cons

Low salary, no communication, say one thing but do something else, say things will get better but this hasn't happened.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when there is something wrong in the work place, because it would help you keep excellent employees from seeking new employment.

Run as fast as you can

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers free coffee and soda

Cons

Management team is horrible - it's a cruel joke on the dental groups.

Advice to Management

Give the gift of life and release the dental groups - adp ads no value, just makes the adp leaders rich at the expense of the dental groups.

1 sentence can not describe the hell I experienced working for this company

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You will meet the best people, you get paid, unbelievable benefits (leave early with pay, pot lucks, jeans days, etc), Controllers are fabulous

Cons

Bullied by upper management. This company wants to only here the positive. They ask your opinion then say "you are not a team player" when you disagree with them. 0 raise for 3 years. I supported one of the largest affiliates, was on every committee, and was ALWAYS helping and teaching other team members. Yet that wasn't enough! I spent everyday of my last year of employment crying and miserable. They won't be around much longer if they keep running things the way they have been, and I will celebrate the day they close!!!

Advice to Management

Quit

High turnover, management treats clinical staff poorly.Obsessed with statistics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The local affiliate does focus on quality dental work. Accreditation of the offices ensures strict adherence to protocols relating to sterilization and patient safety. Doctors and clinical staff stay current on new techniques such as implants and endodontics.

Cons

Management has a strict, controlling tendency with no collaborative efforts being made to work with employees. Management has their favorite/pet employees that come in late, take extended lunches, or don't show up without any repercussions while others are nitpicked for the smallest infractions. This dysfunction puts non-owner doctors at the whim of managers that enjoy ordering doctors and hygienists around. High turnover of doctors and hygienists is treated as normal with no consideration of how this impacts our patients. There has been a pay freeze in effect for six years. Upward mobility is nonexistent unless you are related to or personal friends of management, then you could become a manager very quickly. There is a total obsession with statistics that paralyzes any discussion or attempt to improve office conditions for our patients.

Advice to Management

Management should stop having meetings with other managers and actually listen to suggestions by other employees. Those that actually provide services to the patients have the best incite into what works.

Worst company to work for! They do not care about their assistants at all!

Current Employee - Certified Dental Assistant in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Certified Dental Assistant in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at American Dental Partners

Pros

The doctor I work for rocks, that's about it

Cons

No raises, health insurance is very high, plan on bringing home no paycheck. Absolutely no room for advancement in this company as an assistant, they have their favorites. This company is good to get the experience that's about it then move on! Your doctor takes off plan on losing pay while front desk loses not time and they have no education, and they make more because they never lose time. Nice huh?

Advice to Management

Get some people in their that know what their doing, it's pathetic the managers walk around like idiots and do nothing.

10. Overall great company

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at American Dental Partners

Pros

Great company to work for, headed in the right direction, upper management very supportive and committed to employees, good pay, good training

Cons

Hard to get raises or advancement, work evenings and weekends, heavy work load, long hours

Advice to Management

Make it easier to advance and get raises, this will encourage people to stay longer

They do not respect their support staff.

Former Employee - Dental Assistant in Hamburg, NY
    Former Employee - Dental Assistant in Hamburg, NY

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

401K, enough staff to cover for days off or sick days without feeling guilty.

Cons

Work life balance is good,some practices consider family life more than others. Training on the computer is not consistent or complete. Promotions are few and far between. No pay raises without a fight!!!!

Advice to Management

Upper management is soooooo out of touch with the workforce (support staff) that keeps every practice running day to day .