American Dental Partners

Updated November 23, 2014
1.6

American Dental Partners Chairman, President, and CEO Gregory A. Serrao
Gregory A. Serrao

They do not respect their support staff.

Former Employee - Dental Assistant in Hamburg, NY
    Former Employee - Dental Assistant in Hamburg, NY

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

401K, enough staff to cover for days off or sick days without feeling guilty.

Cons

Work life balance is good,some practices consider family life more than others. Training on the computer is not consistent or complete. Promotions are few and far between. No pay raises without a fight!!!!

Upper management is soooooo out of touch with the workforce (support staff) that keeps every practice running day to day .

Disappointing Place to Work

Current Employee - Resource Group
    Current Employee - Resource Group

I have been working at American Dental Partners full-time

Pros

There are several people who do care about their jobs and have excellent work ethics. The salary could be better and the benefits are okay. My manager cares about my well being.

Cons

New rules like core hours don't support what was suppose to be a family friendly workplace. Flexibility has been taken away. There are few incentives to working here. Upper management has lost touch and poor management is not addressed. High turnover. No raises. Managers come in late and leave early. Some managers don't manage at all. Core Values are on paper only. Certain senior "leaders" do not acknowledge the presence of staff. The good people are looking for outside alternatives.

Address issues individually and don't make the office suffer for the acts of a few. Treat us with respect. Unless changes are made in senior management nothing will change. Don't let administrative assistants run the company.

Horrible company - worst job I have ever had!

Former Employee - Administrative in Wakefield, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Wakefield, MA

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people in the trenches--- anyone not a manager was very nice and great to work with

Cons

Some of the worst management I have ever seen at a company. Organization structure made no sense and managers had no idea how to do the jobs of their team members. Most were unprofessional and rude-- including CEO and exec team. Complaints to HR went unaddressed for years. CEO used to send preachy and idealistic emails to entire company on every holiday talking about his Christian faith values--- very offensive to people who were not Christian or religious.

FREQUENT turnover because it was such a horrible place to work-- constantly wasting time training new employees and dealing with an increased workload. Did not know many people who were there for more than 3 years. Hard work never rewarded or acknowleged so most people simply started phoning it in-- why try had at your job when no one cares and the only thing you will get is more work?

ADPI was recently bought by a private equity firm-- I hope they take a good long look at the exec team and decide if those are the guys (Yes--- all men) they want running this company.

Never again!

Former Employee - Dental Hygienist in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Dental Hygienist in Tucson, AZ

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Developed friendships through the years, office manager tried her best to make us feel appreciated. In house CEU's were nice.

Cons

CEO does not care about investing in employees especially RDH i.e. raises, PTO, sick leave, holiday pay. Several office meetings unpaid. High turnover rate. Felt very under appreciated. Late notices of mandatory meetings. CEO would visit in company meeting as "motivational" but just made fellow employees more unhappy.

Invest in your employees!!!!!!!

Overworked Team Members, High Turn Over, No Cost of Living Raise in numerous year, some staff more than 6 years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

I have been working at American Dental Partners full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a good core foundation, the corporate value and the ideas they have sound good on paper and look great plastered all over the offices of the company. You consistently get a paycheck on time. The benefits are also OK, as with most companies they could be better, but they are not that bad.

Cons

The most concerning issue with this company is High, High, High staff turn over (I cannot stress how many staff are constantly moving onto other companies, it is almost unreal) and very low staff moral, from my experience, if you have been there longer than a year, you have been sucked into the low staff moral that seems to fester in all the practices and offices and you are either currently looking for a new job, or waiting for a personal issue to subside so you can focus on finding a new job. The Executive Staff expect every one staff member to do the work of three people and than there is no chance of a cost of living raise - Ever, let me stress this- NO COST OF LIVING RAISE EVER, the only raises they give out are for "Top Talent" which is a very small percentage of the entire company, I am not sure of the exact number but it is around 5 or 10 percent that can get it, out of 4500 people, but most of the staff are top talent, so they are overworked, the other issue is the Executive Staff, they hirer team members for their expertise's in their perspective departments, but refuse to listen to them on how to make positive, standard practice changes. This company never really achieves any real results because staff are constantly turning over for other opportunities in other companies, so you are either shouldering an entire project on your own, if you happen to be one of the team members waiting for that silver lining / recognition / raise / promotion that I have not seen in over six years, or you are constantly retraining new team members, and trying to get them up to speed quickly to meet unattainable project time lines or requests. They have a plan to grow the company by building new practices and purchasing older ones, but they don't invest in the staff or the offices they already have until it is so costly to do to upgrades or enhancements that you have to plea with vendors because they now cant afford to do it because they waited so long to replace or repair it, so they need the price to be lower. This company is also very, very slow in promoting and assisting with any career development, if you are used to companies that promote employees for hard work and full corporate dedication, don't come here, it will be ten or more years before anything like that happens, if it even does.

I have been working in Corporate American for over 30 years, your staffing turn over is not normal, Many of the Senior Staff say it is normal, but from my experience and the experience of the other people that left reviews of this company here it isn't, I have worked in larger organizations that have the same amount of staff turn over in a year, that American Dental has in one month, , they need to take a look at this, you are never going to be an enduring and lasting company if the team that you need to do that are always leaving for better pay, better work life balance, and yearly cost of living raises, and well we are on that, it is not normal to not have a standard 3.5 percent yearly cost of living raise. American Dental is always looking at the increases in cost of doing business, but forget, your loyal and dedicated employees are also facing increases in their living expenses due to inflation, ,every year we work here, we are making less money!!! If you truly want to build a lasting and enduring company, you need to take an fresh, honest, blinds wide opened look at why your employees are all leaving, The entire company talks about it, and for some reason the Executive Staff all ignore it and give some story on how this type of staff turn over is normal, and say they don't have high turn over. You have people here that truly want to help you grow, but you need to treat them with respect and financially show them you appreciate them, if there wasn't so much turn over we may actually be able to get to achieve some of the goals and project American Dental and the Affiliates have.

This place will take yours off your life

I worked at American Dental Partners (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. You will most likely receive a paycheck.
    2. You will most likely have access to an affair if that's your kind of thing.
    3. You can get away with being absolutely horrific at your job and it doesn't matter, because everyone else will pick up the slack.
    4. If you're on the management level, well done. You can get away with murder. Just blame it on your team and nothing bad will happen to you. Actually, you'll probably receive a pat on the back and a raise.
    5. The guys who work at the cafeteria downstairs don't judge you when you sit alone at a table and stare out the window hopeless and miserable.
    6. The guys who work at the cafeteria downstairs make the best breakfast sandwiches you will ever consume, or maybe it just feels that way because getting a breakfast sandwich means you're not sitting inside of American Dental Partners.
    7. You're so respected and valued that instead of getting a bonus around the holidays, you get a piece of chocolate.
    8. Keep working hard and improving yourself, because you'll never get a raise. Again, unless your upper management, then you will probably get someone else's entire salary.
    9. Get excited for the annual Christmas party where you'll awkwardly be placed at a table with people who think they're better than you while listening to a harp and a drunken, slurred speech about "values" from the CEO.
    10. You don't need to worry about ever going back to school or improving skills that are necessary for your job, because that's not in the "budget".
    11. If you hate money and enjoy working like a mule, this place is perfect for you.
    12. When you retire/get married, you will get a cake and a candlestick.
    13. If you're stressed and can't handle your workload, don't fret. Your work will just be given to someone else with a smile.
    14. So you want to be a manager and have no experience? Welcome aboard!
    15. There is absolutely no dress code.
    16. Team meetings are really productive. You continually meet on issues, strategize on improving, and nothing is ever resolved.
    17. Literally no one is held to the same standard.
    18. You don't ever have to open up about issues or concerns because nothing will ever be done about it.
    19. No ambition? No brain? No self-respect? You're hired!
    20. They throw a really fabulous party every year where you're forced to sit awkwardly and listen to speeches about "best practices" which are non-existent. It's a popularity contest disguised by fancy dinner plates and an open bar. Score!

The list goes on but please, do yourself a favor and turn down any offer of employment while doing the Irish jig.

Cons

cons? what cons? ha! ha!

There's too much damage to be repaired.

Underappreciated team members

Former Employee - Practice Manager
    Former Employee - Practice Manager

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My local organization did the best it could to maintain a positive workplace, however, eventually there was nothing that could be done to outweigh the negative influence of corporate AMDPI.

Cons

Lack of pay increases for multiple years, lots of turnover as a result. Long term employees were expected to pick up extra responsibilities without additional compensation. Lack of respect for the front line staff. When concerns were brought up canned response was "Everyone is replaceable".

Complete overhaul, starting with Greg S.

past employee

Former Employee - Rdh in Franklin, WI
    Former Employee - Rdh in Franklin, WI

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health insurance. That was the only pro I can think of.

Cons

It is a dental hygiene farm, meaning the hygienists are pushing patients in and out like a machine and they don't get lunch half the time or even have time for a bathroom break. The hygienists are over-worked, under appreciated, and easily replaced if they don't meet every single sales goal. Dentistry should be about the patient not selling products patients do not need. Corporate dental is a hygienist's worst nightmare, it's all about private practice in order to be respected and appreciated for all the hard work it took for that "RDH" title you earned.

Treat your staff with respect, don't talk about all of the staff to all of the staff as this isn't high school. Hire front desk staff with dental experience and some level of professionalism. The "patient coordinators" or "front desk staff" as they essentially are need to step it up on filling hygiene schedules instead of only the DDS schedules, we have bills to pay also. This was strictly a commission job so when the front desk staff is too busy talking vs. filling the schedule the hygienists are not getting paid.

not a great place

I have been working at American Dental Partners full-time

Pros

they pay you every two weeks

Cons

everyone is replaceable. few bad staff make decisions for everyone.
    no raise for cost of living

get rid of employees that have no accountability

Not a good place to work at all take it from me

Former Employee - Dental Assistant in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Dental Assistant in Mesa, AZ

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

SOME of the doctors are great to work with..others not so much. Paycheck is on time, however I have had hours deducted from me with no warning, and when confronted they act like they had no idea.

Cons

There are no pay raises not ever. Management is disrespectful towards workers they will literally work you into the ground with no praise as long as you do exactly what they want they won't be so hard on you. Once you speak up or disagree with any management they target you, treat you poorly, not to mention they constantly bad mouth you to others. Its like a high school up in there, management will be in front room painting nails, doing makeup, gossiping, and on phones while others are working their butts off. Lots of turnover, even doctors are aware of everything and have even said the company is horrible and that they don't blame everyone for leaving. This place could care less about the kids and that's so unfortunate, its all about profit and the money coming in. Even at meetings they make it a point to bring up the "core values" which is a load of BS, these meetings are ridiculous its like a blame game they look for people to embarrass in front of everyone and make it look like its the employees faults for anything going wrong in the office. They say until we see a higher profit we can not give any raises. I had been making the same amt for 2 years, with new member coming in I came to find out were making more then 2 dollars then me with no education no certifications and they have me training these people...seriously. Upper management is always in the background I've only met these people maybe 2-3x they don't care to get to know any of the employees. Highly unprofessional place to work run away while you still can.

Middle management grow up and show respect to your workers. Upper management stop looking away from all the issues in this company and do something to fix it, put a stop to all the bullying done here, get to know your employees and acknowledge them. STOP THE FAVORTISM.