American Dental Partners

American Dental Partners Chairman, President, and CEO Gregory A. Serrao

Gregory A. Serrao

Difficult Times but Company Still Spending Money to Grow

I have been working at American Dental Partners full-time

ProsCompany investing to grow business through denovos or acquisitions
Good understanding of challenges in the health care market
Good group of people who want the best for the company

ConsNot everyone wants to (or is forced to) take accountability for their actions
Management needs to be tougher with known people problems instead of letting them continue to poison the well
Structure of business is complex

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople don't understand the big picture and if you don't tell us....we will make it up. Tell us what is happening and why.

Mediocrity. It takes a lot less time and most people won't notice the difference until it's too late

I have been working at American Dental Partners full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt's a decent paycheck, no real expectation of excellence or to even show up on time. Most employees are on cruise control and have long ago zoned out to whatever they can find on the internet. Once you are in the chances of getting fired are minimal along with the chance of getting a raise. Pretty sweet deal if your looking to lay low for a couple of years.

ConsCompany is having trouble figuring out where it is spending money, lots of changes and closings. Most of the Managers have no professional training or experience in actual Management. There is no real structure or training here and this would make for an awful first job. The benefits are also nothing to get excited about.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is too fragmented and do not provide the type of leadership necessary to run a company. Managers also mask the truth from upper management which causes stress on the various departments. Upper Management needs to connect with the people doing the work, they have good people here with good ideas, but that information is not getting up the chain.

Single most disappointing work experience to date

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLocal interaction with outstanding, dedicated providers. Paycheck always deposited on time. Decent benefit options if you are willing to overlook low pay and lack of recognition.

ConsLies, empty promises, broken spirits, deceitful billing practices, impossible work load, quick to criticize and slow to praise. Core values touted as gospel but they are farce. This company cares for no one, not the patient and certainly not the employees. Disrespect towards dentists is encouraged by middle management and upper management. Profit is the only important element and all else is pushed aside or trampled. When they are lucky enough to have employees that care for the patient above all, as they are taught is the true purpose of the organization, those employees are brow beaten, however subtly, until broken or until they are brave enough to separate from the company. If you need a job then fine but go in with open eyes. Seeing the knife coming is easier than getting it in the back.

Advice to Senior Management'Meet' less, work more. Learn to do the job of every office employee so that you understand what you are asking for and can instruct from a hands on approach. Experience is the only real knowledge. You may know how something is supposed to work, but until you understand what it takes at the ground level your knowledge is empty.

Core Values? Only on paper!

I have been working at American Dental Partners full-time

ProsA paycheck and that is about it.

ConsI used to be proud to work for this company, however in the last month they have proven their "core values" are on paper only. I originally thought it was just local management making bad decisions but after reaching out to upper management and getting no response it is apparent it is corporate wide. I admired our CEO until recently and enjoyed hearing him speak yearly. He seemed very sincere and caring. Now I see it is all about the "numbers". So much for family first. I was considered "top talent" until I had to say I was unable to meet what was being asked of me hours wise. Different employees are held to different standards. Definite favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people in the trenches....walk a mile in our shoes. Working so short handed may save the company money but it puts undue stress on the employees and doesn't allow us to do our jobs they way we are capable of.

Core Values?

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time

ProsA paycheck and that's about it....

ConsAs long as you do EVERYTHING their way you are "top talent". Worst management I have EVER worked under. All I can say is KARMA. I have never been treated so badly.....but what goes around comes around. I used to think it was only local management that was bad until reaching out to upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you PREACH!

WORST PLACE TO WORK! DON"T DO IT!

Wakefield, MA

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCEO is a great person!

ConsTurnover is like a revolving door. Hostile environment. Blind leading the Blind!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to listen to the problems of each department. Management needs to more involved in what is going on in each department.

Worst place I ever worked

Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time for less than a year

ProsAs another poster mentioned, a paycheck was deposited into my checking account on time.

ConsMeanest people I've ever had the unfortunate experience to meet. One employee listened to misogynistic satellite radio programs that were able to be heard throughout the office. No training whatsoever. I was barely spoken to - not even a hello - by co-workers. Would occasionally be given a task to do with no instruction on how to complete it or where to find information needed to complete it. I got the job through a headhunting organization that swore it was an awesome place to work, and that they had no turnover, so I had to jump on the chance to get in. I was lied to. The place had constant turnover, including upper management people who were never replaced. I was promised a raise by the headhunting company after 90 days. I was told that I "misunderstood." Managers gave out cute little "surveys" to promote themselves and find out what their staff thought of them. Same managers would complain loudly about employees so that the entire office could hear. Very low morale. Upon giving my two weeks notice, I was not spoken to by anyone in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest about your company to prospective employees. I know the headhunters needed to fill a position for you and that they lied to do it, but you were on board with the lying. Take a good, hard look at your office environment and the turnover rate. There is a REASON people are leaving left and right. Take a good, hard look at some of the people in your management positions. Some of them shouldn't be permitted to manage a front-yard lemonade stand.

Just Do It

Wakefield, MA

I have been working at American Dental Partners full-time

ProsStrong core valued organization, patient centered long-term business model, opportunities await for those willing to step up, investing in future with DeNovos, technology, Healthy Organization, training and people. Partnership model with dental groups is what separates this Company from its peers.

ConsGuilt by association with others in the industry, decentralized structure that allows for confusion, misunderstanding and lack of trust. Not yet a fully performance driven culture. Changes in doctor leadership can present challenges

Advice to Senior ManagementThe true measuere of success comes from when times are tough. Bumps in the road will happen, persistence will pay off.

Prepare to be on the BIGGEST rollercoaster ride ever!!!!!!!!

Management (Former Employee)

I worked at American Dental Partners full-time

ProsThere are some great hard working staff in the lower levels of the organization that want to do the right thing.

ConsIf your unlucky enough to be chosen through the Gauntlet of hiring process be prepared for a ride. (I interview with everyone in senior mgmt. and the process took over 6 months) I was chosen only to find out the HR department at the time had no processes and training in place for new employees. Even the smallest polices like Company Holidays are not consistent from location to location. That should have been my first clue.... Once hired I worked closely with senior staff for my many years with the company. The senior management preaches core values, however they don't follow them. They put on a great front to cover there own flaws!!!
The turn-over in the corporate office changed over three times in my years with the company. However, none of the senior leadership had changed during that time!! Humm, I wonder why?? Why is senior leadership able to work from another state and employees are required to work within the corp. office??? I could go on and on but on closing. If you EXPECT any type of raise or compensation increase they only give them to you the first year to keep you happy and then NOTHING after!!! ASK any employee before you start there and they will tell you...

Advice to Senior ManagementTo JLL, You really should have cleaned house when you acquired American Dental Partners. The senior management are the real issue with the company not advancing. There are many people within the Dental industry that can run this company verses what you have today.
Get rid of the good-ol-boy group and hire professionals. You have to ask yourself how are they working out spending your $20M on the new practices???? What does your return look like these days? It's not the employees in the trenches that are the issue its your senior leadership.

Wonderful Company

I have been working at American Dental Partners full-time for more than 10 years

ProsValue-centric organization, company has grown a lot spawning professional growth opportunities for its employees, weathered the economic crisis without any layoffs or reduction in benefits, invests in its people through it various training programs and Leadership Institute, has invested in practice techology such as EDR, digital xray and intraoral cameras

ConsPeople who are self-centered and that don't buy in to the culture and values are allowed to linger too long

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you are doing.

Worked for American Dental Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Dental Partners reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Dental Partners CEO Gregory A. Serrao. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by American Dental Partners employees.