American Diabetes Association

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Larry Hausner

Good learning experience

Programs Intern (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsI learned the ins and outs of coordinating an event. The office was laid back and friendly. Everyone who works there seems to have a basic sincerity and compassion for the organization.

ConsUnorganized at times. You will learn some aspects of a non-profit, but if you are really looking to get into pr or communications, I would suggest holding out for an agency setting.

Staff is passionate about the cause, sometimes boring work.

Special Events (Former Employee)

ProsWorkers are all very nice and passionate about ending diabetes. It's a laid back environment.

ConsAs an intern I didn't get to contribute as much as I would have liked. Going into the internship, I didn't realize how much of a role fundraising played. I thought we would also be working to raise awareness, etc., but most of the people in the office seemed to be working on fundraising.

Great Organization!

Manager, Fundraising and Special Events (Former Employee)

ProsWell structured
    Clear mission
    Excellent programs
    Incredible special events delivery and staff support
    Great benefits. You won't find any like them anywhere else!
    Great training
    Great IT support staff, event support staff, accounting staff, etc.

ConsPay isn't so great
    Not a lot of opportunity for growth within the org.
    Equipment such as computers are sorely outdated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Striving to keep up with the times

ProsThis is a forward thinking association. They are a step or two behind the times in terms of technology but management is open minded and they continue to look for new ways to meet/reach their audience.

ConsThe structure of the association does not allow for easy communication/collaboration between departments. At times there are conflicting goals and the association could do more to bring their employees together.

Don't Do It

Manager, Fundraising and Special Events (Former Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsGreat Benefits and Excellent Time Off

ConsThis was the worst job I have ever had. You are way over-worked and the pay for the amount of work expected is insane. Upper Management act as bullies and only care about the almighty dollar. Staff is not respected and often times pinned against each other. Volunteers are also treated poorly and you are made to force them to "do their jobs". It was truly was an awful experience

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into your EDs and how they treat their staff. I think you will be surprised.

Mediocre Non-Profit Struggling to Keep Up

Director (Current Employee)

ProsI work on the mission delivery side, and really do feel like we are trying to contribute to make society healthier. I work in a field office, and my office schedule is fairly flexible. The organization seems to be trying to recruit the right people at the top to implement better programs for the community. The fundraisers have very good tools and resources. Great health insurance and decent benefits overall. Decent pay.

ConsMission delivery programs need to be updated more often. Information is outdated, change is slow. Poor resources for mission delivery programs compared to fundraisers. Everything from website support to basic flyers are all but non-existent for mission delivery programs, but there are plenty of customizable templates for fundraisers. This organization seems to value money-making fundraisers more than mission delivery programs, and the difference between the two sides is astounding. Poor training opportunities, and poor leadership. Local leadership and office are catty and passive-aggressive. Extremely volatile work environment. Ridiculous work-life balance, with far too many nights and weekends worked with no comp time given. Horrible staff retention and high turnover - for good reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward those who are meeting and exceeding their goals. Offer new and updated information and promotional templates for community programs. You'd be shocked how much respect the organization would gain in local communities if mission delivery staff were given adequate training and resources. It would also be nice to be given comp time for the multiple nights and weekends that are worked. Also, consider revising the staffing structure. Current structure for the field of adding additional staff for mission delivery only in metro areas that fundraise well is misguided. Consider putting the fundraising positions in the metro areas, and distributing the mission delivery staff to the areas (even remote areas) with the highest rates of diabetes to have more of an impact. Only serving those areas that fundraise with mission delivery is a gross misuse of resources. Consider trying to offer more employee wellness benefits - we are not practicing what we preach, at least not in the field offices. Field office work is too self-sacrificial and not at all healthy.

Non-Profit struggles

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOrganization has many hardworking and dedicated employees and volunteers that care about the cause. Not much in personal growth, work-life balance ok to some degree (other organizations seem to be more flexible)...overall office culture is suffering, but good-hard working employees - make the office culture a bit better.

ConsThe organization leadership is sub-par having struggled to move forward for the past 5 years. No guidance or strategic vision. The benefits-- years without pay raises or retirement matching while CEO got bonuses. Just heard they recently had to cut about 90 people because of run away employee costs. Company values seem un-aligned. Mid-level managers and below have very different view than Senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure management wants or would even take lower level employee advice.

Great benefits but poor management and work-life balance

(Former Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsThe ADA offers a great benefit package. Health insurance is a little pricey once you add on family members but by far one of the best policies you can get. Generous vacation time, sick time and personal days.

ConsSalaries are low.

There is also very poor work-life balance. Staff are expected to be flexible and work evenings, weekends and very long days, but there is no attempt to by field offices to provide the same flexibility to staff. Any other place I have worked always provided staff who were working until 8 or 9 p.m. the option of coming in a couple hours later than usual that day or coming in/leaving early another day that week. However, this was not the case at the ADA. In the week or two leading up to an event, there are several late nights. In addition to those late nights, event staff work at least one Saturday or Sunday for the event--but staff were only offered a flex day if they worked 15 hours or more.

Also, the national office does not listen to the concerns of staff in the field offices. Several people in my office went to HR with very valid complaints about senior management and in the end the national office sided with management. It is a very disconcerting feeling and unfortunately leads to high turnover of qualified staff.

The ADA is also very reactive when it comes to numbers, putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on event staff when it comes to donation dollars.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to appreciate event staff and realize that they are asked to go above and beyond day after day. Saying thank you every now and then would be appreciated.

Management at the national level also needs to listen to the concerns of field staff. If several people are reaching out to HR with complaints about their executive director, for example, chances are there really is an issue with him/her.

Very lottle opportunity to grow when starting as an intern.

ProsGreat experience, atmosphere, people, values

ConsManagement, growth, headquarters, IT support

Organization has begun to focus too much on money.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat cause. Good programs. Good events.

ConsNo real training or onboarding provided. Many of the wrong people are in leadership positions and, in my opinion, do not lead or manage well. Too much turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value people over profits.

Worked for American Diabetes Association? Contribute to the Community!