American Diabetes Association

American Diabetes Association Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Larry Hausner

Don't Do It

Manager, Fundraising and Special Events (Former Employee)
Buffalo, NY

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Benefits and Excellent Time Off

ConsThis was the worst job I have ever had. You are way over-worked and the pay for the amount of work expected is insane. Upper Management act as bullies and only care about the almighty dollar. Staff is not respected and often times pinned against each other. Volunteers are also treated poorly and you are made to force them to "do their jobs". It was truly was an awful experience

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into your EDs and how they treat their staff. I think you will be surprised.

Striving to keep up with the times

I have been working at American Diabetes Association full-time

ProsThis is a forward thinking association. They are a step or two behind the times in terms of technology but management is open minded and they continue to look for new ways to meet/reach their audience.

ConsThe structure of the association does not allow for easy communication/collaboration between departments. At times there are conflicting goals and the association could do more to bring their employees together.

Non-Profit struggles

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOrganization has many hardworking and dedicated employees and volunteers that care about the cause. Not much in personal growth, work-life balance ok to some degree (other organizations seem to be more flexible)...overall office culture is suffering, but good-hard working employees - make the office culture a bit better.

ConsThe organization leadership is sub-par having struggled to move forward for the past 5 years. No guidance or strategic vision. The benefits-- years without pay raises or retirement matching while CEO got bonuses. Just heard they recently had to cut about 90 people because of run away employee costs. Company values seem un-aligned. Mid-level managers and below have very different view than Senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure management wants or would even take lower level employee advice.

Mediocre Non-Profit Struggling to Keep Up

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Diabetes Association full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI work on the mission delivery side, and really do feel like we are trying to contribute to make society healthier. I work in a field office, and my office schedule is fairly flexible. The organization seems to be trying to recruit the right people at the top to implement better programs for the community. The fundraisers have very good tools and resources. Great health insurance and decent benefits overall. Decent pay.

ConsMission delivery programs need to be updated more often. Information is outdated, change is slow. Poor resources for mission delivery programs compared to fundraisers. Everything from website support to basic flyers are all but non-existent for mission delivery programs, but there are plenty of customizable templates for fundraisers. This organization seems to value money-making fundraisers more than mission delivery programs, and the difference between the two sides is astounding. Poor training opportunities, and poor leadership. Local leadership and office are catty and passive-aggressive. Extremely volatile work environment. Ridiculous work-life balance, with far too many nights and weekends worked with no comp time given. Horrible staff retention and high turnover - for good reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward those who are meeting and exceeding their goals. Offer new and updated information and promotional templates for community programs. You'd be shocked how much respect the organization would gain in local communities if mission delivery staff were given adequate training and resources. It would also be nice to be given comp time for the multiple nights and weekends that are worked. Also, consider revising the staffing structure. Current structure for the field of adding additional staff for mission delivery only in metro areas that fundraise well is misguided. Consider putting the fundraising positions in the metro areas, and distributing the mission delivery staff to the areas (even remote areas) with the highest rates of diabetes to have more of an impact. Only serving those areas that fundraise with mission delivery is a gross misuse of resources. Consider trying to offer more employee wellness benefits - we are not practicing what we preach, at least not in the field offices. Field office work is too self-sacrificial and not at all healthy.

Great benefits but poor management and work-life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Southfield, MI

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time for more than a year

ProsThe ADA offers a great benefit package. Health insurance is a little pricey once you add on family members but by far one of the best policies you can get. Generous vacation time, sick time and personal days.

ConsSalaries are low.

There is also very poor work-life balance. Staff are expected to be flexible and work evenings, weekends and very long days, but there is no attempt to by field offices to provide the same flexibility to staff. Any other place I have worked always provided staff who were working until 8 or 9 p.m. the option of coming in a couple hours later than usual that day or coming in/leaving early another day that week. However, this was not the case at the ADA. In the week or two leading up to an event, there are several late nights. In addition to those late nights, event staff work at least one Saturday or Sunday for the event--but staff were only offered a flex day if they worked 15 hours or more.

Also, the national office does not listen to the concerns of staff in the field offices. Several people in my office went to HR with very valid complaints about senior management and in the end the national office sided with management. It is a very disconcerting feeling and unfortunately leads to high turnover of qualified staff.

The ADA is also very reactive when it comes to numbers, putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on event staff when it comes to donation dollars.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to appreciate event staff and realize that they are asked to go above and beyond day after day. Saying thank you every now and then would be appreciated.

Management at the national level also needs to listen to the concerns of field staff. If several people are reaching out to HR with complaints about their executive director, for example, chances are there really is an issue with him/her.

Lack of leadership from the top, inabiility to make decisions, lack of transparency, little regard for human capitol.

I have been working at American Diabetes Association for more than 5 years

ProsTerrific and dedicated volunteers to the cause.Good benefits

ConsThey exploit participants, volunteers, employees. Never do what they say they're going to do or when yet hold everyone else accountable. Murky, hidden agendas, lack of respect for those in the trenches, volunteers and even participants. Can't see the forest for the trees, always wondering around in the weeds=poor leadership, which starts at the top and trickles down. They don't do their homework on marketing, strategic planning, etc. Embarrassingly unprofessional. oh yes and THEY GET BONUSES, beginning with some associate directors - simply wrong. They don't feel there are any issues about burning bridges and don't feel the rules apply to them. Entitlement issues in upper Management. Secretive and misleading about budgets and can't track donations correctly. Websites never work correctly. Subjective Ridiculous performance guidelines AKA this is why we can't give you a raise, no matter your achievements

Advice to Senior ManagementRude awakening time: Do your homework, know your market. .Do what you say your going to do. Hold management accountable. Develop a strategic plan and utilize this as a tool throughout the nation for your events. Get rid of the by-committee mentality decision making process in marketing upper management. You need talented, seasoned individuals who can make an informed decision in a timely manner and lead. Consider that everyone is at the "adult" table. The rah-rah factor only goes so far and is fairly insulting, given the knowledge. Some of the worst management skills or lack of, I have ever witnessed. Embarrassingly wasteful of hard earned fundraising dollars. Penny wise, pound foolish. If you don't believe what you hear from the trenches, get out of the tower and find out for yourself. Steer clear of the "yes at any price" group as they will continue to tell you what you want to hear, not the truth. There are too many "good" non profits for you to continue to survive, let alone grow with the issues at hand. You may be able to pull this charade off in some parts of the country but you should steer clear of educated, knowledgeable areas.

Very lottle opportunity to grow when starting as an intern.

I have been working at American Diabetes Association as an intern

ProsGreat experience, atmosphere, people, values

ConsManagement, growth, headquarters, IT support

Organization has begun to focus too much on money.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Diabetes Association full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat cause. Good programs. Good events.

ConsNo real training or onboarding provided. Many of the wrong people are in leadership positions and, in my opinion, do not lead or manage well. Too much turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value people over profits.

Everyone leaves - should have known.

Manager, Fundraising and Special Events (Former Employee)

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time for more than a year

Proshelping the community, some employees are very passionate about what they do, community truly appreciates efforts, there is proper training for everything, great benefits, it's easy to get promoted

Consno one stays, very catty employees, pay is terrible, you are not allowed to go outside of the outline they provide for everything (this could be good for those who aren't comfortable taking risks), management doesn't care about wellbeing of employees, office moral is low, management increases event goals unrealistically, constant working outside of office hours with no comp time, driving all over the state for the job

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be threatened by young talent. Embrace it. Let employees step outside of your given outlines. Your events and programs are mediocre, and they will say that way so long you pay gatekeeper - you are shooting yourself in the foot. Your turnover rate is alarming, but not surprising. Job requirements should be upfront. You cannot cut an employees pay by $6,000 and expect them to do the same job with a lower title; that's insane. I was not proud to work here, and in fact, a little bit embarrassed. Bring new upper management in, and embrace gen Y before it's too late.

Great customer service training I have ever received and a great group of people to work with

Associate Manager (Former Employee)
Alexandria, VA

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, high expectations, good pay for no experience, weekly meetings, workplace perks (massages, paid lunch etc).

Conscall center dept reluctant to change, a bit disorganized and hypocritical in execution of services, call center script is not ideal for the type of calls received

Worked for American Diabetes Association? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Diabetes Association reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Diabetes Association CEO Larry Hausner. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by American Diabetes Association employees.