American Eagle Outfitters Reviews

Reset
2.9
American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein
Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • Fun people great discount nice people (in 168 reviews)

• Great employee discount (30-60%) (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting people to sign up for credit cards is tough (in 95 reviews)

• No regard for work life balance (in 28 reviews)

1. Merchandise lead

Current Employee - Merchandise Lead in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Lead in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly. It is like a small family with in the store. Fun environment great discounts. Good beginner job for say a high school student

Cons

It varies from store to store but management is not always the most understanding and appreciative of the associates hard to move up. Listen respect from upper management

Advice to Management

Care more about the good of your employees and the good of the store. When district managers come to visit talk to associates not just the store manager. Happy associates means the store is being run properly and our concerns are being heard of its not.

2. Basically it's like being a assistant manager just w/ out the tile!

Current Employee - Key Holder in Salem, MA
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Salem, MA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, lot of promotion opportunities, very fast past, grey job for a fashion lover!

Cons

Not a great position for college students, not flexible during holidays.

Advice to Management

Great job for one to work ones way to Store Manager as a career

3. Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

There are many great benefits of working at American Eagle, namely the employee discounts, the people, the atmosphere, the fashion.

Cons

Nothing really major, it's your typical sales associate job. It does get a bit annoy when people destroy the clothing you finished folding two seconds ago though

Advice to Management

Personally my manager was great, however, I have heard horror stories about people at other stores who've had horrible experiences with management and nothing was done about it. I'd recommend better employee reviews

Hi

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Foldable clothing was very foldy

Cons

Wrinkles were too stronk for me

Advice to Management

Iron

You literally "Live Your Life" at your job, but you enjoy it.

Current Employee - Sale Associate/Jean Expert in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sale Associate/Jean Expert in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is fun, friendly, inviting, and team-driven. Your performance is recognized in the form of rewards- discounts, free merchandise, awards on the "wall of awesome", etc. The management team trains you well. If you do extremely well, you may be asked to work additional shifts, which means more money for you.

Cons

Although you receive additional shifts (and more money) you feel like you're spending every waking moment at your job, especially during floor set week, or which district or regional managers make their visits. You have no life outside of work, and most people aren't cut out for it. There is too much of a push for selling credit cards to customers, and it feels very manipulative. Also, people who have no experience in retail are getting hired at more than I'm currently making, and I've been with the company for three years. The wage increase structure needs to change!

Advice to Management

Besides the wage increase issue, associates who have family vacations planned during a "no time off" zone should still be allowed to take off.

Like a bad relationship; great in the beginning and bad in the end .

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Framingham, MA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good discount when you buy clothes and great experience with talking to customers one on one.

Cons

Bad hours-either not enough or make you work late or schedule you days you can't work bad pay- got less than a dollar raise working there for 4 years, bad managing: don't get me started...

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people not units.

8. Challenging with all the teenagers

Current Employee - Associate in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Burlington, MA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok discount on cloths,cloths are current on trend,

Cons

Hard to help teen angers when they really don't want your help, always cleaning up after they make a mess for no reason then walk out!!

9. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wrentham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wrentham, MA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, flexible, fun atmosphere

Cons

None at all! Great place to wok

Love my job!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Braintree, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Braintree, MA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rewarding work environment! Great people in our area and everyone supports each other. There is opportunity to grow to further your career and reach your goals. Our new CEO is making amazing changes and the impact is positive for the employees and customers.

Cons

Corporate level management can be rude and abrasive. Remember WE make it happen for you.

Advice to Management

Give stores more payroll to keep customers happy and help to get everything done that is required. The DM is a positive role model and she takes the time to talk and appreciate her employees.

Gone downhill.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starter job. Great discount, 25% off clearance, 40% off regular stuff, 50% off for first 2 weeks of floorset. Great associates. Flexible with hours.

Cons

Rude/Uncaring managers. Told them I wanted to take 2 weeks off (for an on-campus job) and they told me they would be taking me off the schedule the day before I wanted to begin my 2 weeks off. Poor pay, worked for 15+ months, 20 cents over minimum wage. Hound us to get credit and rewards, with nothing directly coming to us for getting them.

Advice to Management

Give associates more credit, don't hound us as much on credit/rewards if we get nothing out of it. I know it's important for retaining loyalty but don't be unrealistic about it. Be more flexible with time off, because if you can't work with your best employees schedule wise, they will go somewhere else like I plan to.

Showing 17 of 1,441 reviews