American Eagle Outfitters

3.5
1,073 Reviews

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein
Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products (in 168 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • They even made one girl cry because she "wasn't getting enough credit cards" while she was on register (in 95 reviews)

• Work life balance is terrible with no rules to regulate hours between shifts (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

You literally "Live Your Life" at your job, but you enjoy it.

Current Employee - Sale Associate/Jean Expert in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sale Associate/Jean Expert in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is fun, friendly, inviting, and team-driven. Your performance is recognized in the form of rewards- discounts, free merchandise, awards on the "wall of awesome", etc. The management team trains you well. If you do extremely well, you may be asked to work additional shifts, which means more money for you.

Cons

Although you receive additional shifts (and more money) you feel like you're spending every waking moment at your job, especially during floor set week, or which district or regional managers make their visits. You have no life outside of work, and most people aren't cut out for it. There is too much of a push for selling credit cards to customers, and it feels very manipulative. Also, people who have no experience in retail are getting hired at more than I'm currently making, and I've been with the company for three years. The wage increase structure needs to change!

Besides the wage increase issue, associates who have family vacations planned during a "no time off" zone should still be allowed to take off.

Hi

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Foldable clothing was very foldy

Cons

Wrinkles were too stronk for me

Iron

Like a bad relationship; great in the beginning and bad in the end .

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Framingham, MA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good discount when you buy clothes and great experience with talking to customers one on one.

Cons

Bad hours-either not enough or make you work late or schedule you days you can't work bad pay- got less than a dollar raise working there for 4 years, bad managing: don't get me started...

Treat employees like people not units.

Challenging with all the teenagers

Current Employee - Associate in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Burlington, MA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ok discount on cloths,cloths are current on trend,

Cons

Hard to help teen angers when they really don't want your help, always cleaning up after they make a mess for no reason then walk out!!

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wrentham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wrentham, MA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, flexible, fun atmosphere

Cons

None at all! Great place to wok

Love my job!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Braintree, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Braintree, MA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rewarding work environment! Great people in our area and everyone supports each other. There is opportunity to grow to further your career and reach your goals. Our new CEO is making amazing changes and the impact is positive for the employees and customers.

Cons

Corporate level management can be rude and abrasive. Remember WE make it happen for you.

Give stores more payroll to keep customers happy and help to get everything done that is required. The DM is a positive role model and she takes the time to talk and appreciate her employees.

Gone downhill.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good starter job.
    Great discount, 25% off clearance, 40% off regular stuff, 50% off for first 2 weeks of floorset.
    Great associates.
    Flexible with hours.

Cons

Rude/Uncaring managers. Told them I wanted to take 2 weeks off (for an on-campus job) and they told me they would be taking me off the schedule the day before I wanted to begin my 2 weeks off.
    Poor pay, worked for 15+ months, 20 cents over minimum wage.
    Hound us to get credit and rewards, with nothing directly coming to us for getting them.

Give associates more credit, don't hound us as much on credit/rewards if we get nothing out of it. I know it's important for retaining loyalty but don't be unrealistic about it. Be more flexible with time off, because if you can't work with your best employees schedule wise, they will go somewhere else like I plan to.

Busy job with little reward; management problems; high turnover

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

-40% employee discount off of regularly priced merchandise
    -easy to get hired
    -relaxed dress code

Cons

-Before every shift, we were required to watch a video about promotions, even if we had already seen the video multiple times. Then, we had to fill out a sheet about what we learned from the video and how we wanted to use it, then meet with a manager and tell them about it, before we could go on the floor. Then, after the shift, we had to meet with our manager and tell them what we had done well and what we wanted to work on in our next shift, write it down, and have them sign it before we could love. I felt like I was in second grade every single time I went to work. It is the most useless and degrading thing I have ever had to do in a workplace.

-Managers can be rude and mean, and don't seem to care about any of your needs or concerns.

-Shifts have call-ins either on the beginning or the end of them, so you never actually know when your shift is- you have to call in and find out if you have to go in to work, and then sometimes your shift lasts 2 hours longer than you thought it would. This makes it impossible to plan anything in your personal life.

-Shifts often get cut short or cut completely because the managers constantly go over on hours.

-Constant yelling in your ear about the money being made and how much more needs to be made and how much harder you need to work. Lots of punishment, no rewards.

-No training process; most employees have no idea what they are doing, and have to teach themselves- only certain people know how to do certain things, so if that person isnt there, the whole place is a wreck.

A great starting point in my career.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kingston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kingston, MA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Everyone is friendly, and there is room to be promoted.

Cons

Overnight floor sets. Having to work on Black Friday.

Make sure you are respectful but still aware of everything going on.

good company for a retail job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Natick, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Natick, MA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Treated Fairly
    Fun Atmosphere
    Motivational incentives and comeptitions

Cons

Can come across poor managers

American Eagle Outfitters Photos