American Eagle Outfitters

American Eagle Outfitters Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein

Jay Schottenstein

Pros:
  • "There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products"
    in 126 reviews
  • "Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends"
    in 67 reviews
Cons:
  • "For one the poor sales associates hours are based off of how many credit cards they get"
    in 77 reviews
  • "Minimum wage, which is not a fun thing if you live in New York"
    in 44 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Amazing company to work for!

Intern (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat discount on clothes and other perks.

ConsCommunication within departments is not always efficient.

Great Place To Work

Visual Merchandising Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits, salary, work life balance. Great team members. You are given the opportunity to learn and grow.

ConsThere are not any cons to working at AEO

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Positive

ProsGood people, fun environment, good music

Consboring, customers can be rude, register is confusing

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a horrible job

ProsAmazing employee discounts. Full time associates qualify for a plethora of benefits. Health care is paid for mostly by the company and our premiums are very low, and the coverage is great. Life insurance for yourself equal to your salary at no cost to you. Job stability and security. Decent pay.

ConsIt's a retail job and the hours reflect as such. The responsibilities and expectations are outlandish and unattainable. Positive recognition is very infrequent.

By all means, get a stock position

Stock Lead (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours for stock and floorset employees. If you get your work done fast and efficient, noone cares when you show up or clock in
    Great discount on all products
    Fair managers for the most part. Other stores not so much

ConsFloor reps have miserable on call hours
    Lots of online training that isnt as helpful as face to face training
    inefficient at times

Inconsistent number of hours

ProsSlightly better than minimum wage, good discounts, free food

ConsNo chance to move up in the company, manager take the bulk of the payroll, extremely hard to get hired full time

You literally "Live Your Life" at your job, but you enjoy it.

Sale Associate/Jean Expert (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe environment is fun, friendly, inviting, and team-driven. Your performance is recognized in the form of rewards- discounts, free merchandise, awards on the "wall of awesome", etc. The management team trains you well. If you do extremely well, you may be asked to work additional shifts, which means more money for you.

ConsAlthough you receive additional shifts (and more money) you feel like you're spending every waking moment at your job, especially during floor set week, or which district or regional managers make their visits. You have no life outside of work, and most people aren't cut out for it. There is too much of a push for selling credit cards to customers, and it feels very manipulative. Also, people who have no experience in retail are getting hired at more than I'm currently making, and I've been with the company for three years. The wage increase structure needs to change!

Advice to Senior ManagementBesides the wage increase issue, associates who have family vacations planned during a "no time off" zone should still be allowed to take off.

The people I worked with were awesome but the job itself was meh.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, WA

ProsThe management I had (after the initial assistant moved elsewhere) was awesome! I loved the managers there. There were opportunities to advance within the company if you put in enough work, which was nice, and there were benefits available if you worked enough hours. The discount was nice, too.

ConsThe shifts were weird and it was hard to get enough hours to pay any bills, even if I worked five days a week. It IS retail so I had to work with a lot of demanding customers, which was definitely not my favorite part of the job. I never got a raise while I worked there, and it seemed difficult to get paid more without advancing substantially.

Advice to Senior ManagementUsing incentives for employees to 'sell' credit cards to customers is irritating. Not everyone wants to sign up for a store credit card and it is just about impossible to convince people to do so without seeming pushy.

Great Place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Champaign, IL

ProsFlexible hours, discount of 40%, laid back atmosphere. Management is very casual but demanding of store performance. Great promotion and succession if job performance is above the norm.

ConsIt's retail, so you have your ups and down. Most particularly upset or unruly customers and people who make a mess of the store only to buy one or two things.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave your managers go over expectations throughout the day, not just at the beginning and end of shifts. Do NOT use walkies constantly, it's hard to check a customer out with constant chatter!

Good high school job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI got a 40% discount, and a 60% discount on select items, the company is very organized, and everyone is kind and friendly

ConsMaybe because I was a seasonal worker, I only worked about once a week, so I never received a large paycheck. Also, I was put on register at a busy time with very little training and no previous experience.

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Eagle Outfitters reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Eagle Outfitters CEO Jay Schottenstein. All 860 reviews posted anonymously by American Eagle Outfitters employees.