American Eagle Outfitters Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014

3.5

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein
Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products (in 129 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • For one the poor sales associates hours are based off of how many credit cards they get (in 80 reviews)

• Work life balance is terrible with no rules to regulate hours between shifts (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

It was an awesome after school/in college job

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of hours
    Communication with bosees

Cons

Everyone thought they were the boss

Get your employees in check

Great 1st job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great employee discount
    Flexible schedule
    Easy tasks
    fun environment

It was a very good first job. Always something going on and definetly many people to attend. Everyone should work on retail at least once to know what is like the service industry and to know what it's like to be on the other side when you are shopping.

Cons

Too many associates, not enough hours for everyone
    Some weeks you don't even get hours.
    You HAVE to get credit card applications (min 3 daily)

It would be great if you had some career plan, if sales associates knew the path to become assistant managers and managers.

American Eagle is my first job and i love it. I have worked with the company 1+ years now and already getting promoted.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you speak up and work hard you will move in the company. Make sure you let your managers know your goals. Usually they are on board to help you.

Cons

If the managers dont like you then dont expect hours. You have to actually work hard for hours. Also if you work in a busy store dont think you will have time to fool around. On your feet 24/7. 10 min breaks for 4.5 hours of work.

Just notice your employees more. Praise is always good. Would love more breaks. 10 min break for 4.5 hours of work? Thats not okay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Greatest work experience of my life!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome positivity and work environment! Great managers and coworkers. Employee discount is great. Easy to work with on scheduling.

Cons

Some weeks, hours are cut shorter.

An amazing company to work for.

Former Employee - Shift Lead  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Lead in Tampa, FL

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoyed the atmosphere, as well as the attitude that the company gives off. If you plan to move up in this company there is a large opportunity for learning.

Cons

Sometimes the hours could be hard, since they change weekly. There might also be some drama when it comes to the workplace. A lot of similar personalities may clash at times.

Always striving for the top

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

American Eagle is always striving for top performance, but the company also strives to implement cutting edge technology. Through partnering with shop kick and providing stores new iPods and iPads, American Eagle is known for their customer and sales focus.

Cons

Communication between home office and the stores is sometimes choppy especially with regards to shipment receipt.

Help your stores grow profit by setting up a daily phone call letting stores know exactly how many hours are coming in shipment that day. Yes each store has access to the shipment receipt schedule, but most of the time stores get more than what shows up on the schedule.

Really fun part-time job while in college!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun environment, company values, co-workers, opportunity to grow within company.

Cons

not too flexible during the holidays, but then again, what retail store is around that time?

Management in my store was great! As far as leadership goes, maybe better training for those who are in charge of floor sets. A team can only be do so much without guidance.

Good Part-Time Job for College or High School Students Unless Your Looking for Management

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Muncy, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Muncy, PA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

*Friendly Co-Workers
    *EXTREMELY FLEXIBLE hours
    *Easy to talk to your manager and assitants

Cons

*Hire to many people, therefore giving poor hours for part time
    *Will a lot of times call and tell you the 'cut' your shift for the day

Hire fewer people and give more hours to the employees that deserve it based on performance.

Fun job if you have the right staff!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Pros

I work with a great staff. Everyone is super nice which makes the job less boring. The discounts are good too. Every time they do a new floor set I get 60% percent off on new items and everything else is the regular 20% off discount. If you love to shop at American eagle then you would really enjoy being able to get new clothes for a ridiculously cheap price. Plus the job is really easy!

Cons

If you aren't outgoing this may not be the place for you. You are constantly having to mention rewards cards and credit cards to customers even as a sales associate on the sales floor. I know the company just wants to give back to the customers with the rewards but it turns most people off. Some people are happy you bring t up but most just want to be left alone while they shop. And I could see how this job could suck if you don't have friendly coworkers to crack a joke with.

I would chill out on the rewards cards and credit cards. I know you just want to "give back" to the customer and offer them services but it really just comes off like you are trying to suck as much money off of them as you can. A lot of people get annoyed from being asked if they want a rewards card or credit card. I don't think you should set a goal for how many rewards cards you think the store needs to get. I think it causes unneeded stress on the employes. I think you should still offer the services just don't force it on people, because that's what it seems like your doing by setting goals.

Laid back, easygoing, pleasant work environment.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Kingston, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kingston, NY

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount! 40% off, even as just a part time sales associate.

Cons

In my opinion, too customer awareness, to the effect of almost annoying.

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!