American Eagle Outfitters Reviews

3.5
1,290 Reviews
American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein
Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products (in 168 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • They even made one girl cry because she "wasn't getting enough credit cards" while she was on register (in 95 reviews)

• Work life balance is terrible with no rules to regulate hours between shifts (in 28 reviews)

1. Fun Place to Work for an Adolescent

Current Employee - Stylist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Stylist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, not a ton of pressure, 1:1 training an group training, incentives to win free clothes fairly often, discount is awesome!

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth, promotion from inside almost never happens, never get a raise even if you are an outstanding associate.

Advice to Management

Associates need to feel valued and top performers should get some kind of a raise, especially if they've been there for over a year.

2. Good for Minimum Wage

Former Employee - Stylist/Sales Associate in Bristow, VA
    Former Employee - Stylist/Sales Associate in Bristow, VA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Discounts (80-20% off)
    -Casual atmosphere
    -Decent with treating employees well

Cons

-Minimum wage
    -Inconsistent hours
    -Folding, all the folding
    -Many late nights (scheduled to get off at 10 and actually left around 2)

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

3. Wish I could still be there

Former Employee - Visual Coordinator Lab Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Visual Coordinator Lab Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters (More than a year)

Pros

Worked at AEO corporate as an Assistant Lab Associate and I love it there! The company is a great company to work for, with many benefits (I loved the clothing discount!!). From my experience there they promote from within.

Cons

I left not because I wanted to but because I had to. There were not enough hours to go around for everyone they had working in the Labs and also I believe they were in a hiring freeze, some employees had been waiting years to get promoted but were forced to stay at level entry.

Advice to Management

Offer full-time positions to the few who wanted to succeed and grow with the company instead of hiring so many temp positions.

5. American Eagle Outfitters

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun training videos, very helpful and knowledgeable management. Perfect first job for high school and early college students! Also very fantastic products consistently being put out. Fun store get togethers and room for growth.

Cons

The only downside is that hours are hard to come by, as it is based on sales. Having call-in shifts is kind of inconvenient, though it was seldom used.

Advice to Management

It would be great to see an online system for scheduling, including time off requests and such. Also, access to the training and informational videos from our homes would be nice.

6. Great starting job

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Champaign, IL

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, enjoyable atmosphere, great staff and management

Cons

Short hours, unpredictable on-call shifts, rude customers

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, have fun with us!

7. It's been a great experience working with the the company. They have great benefits and truly care for their associates.

Current Employee - Yard Driver in Ottawa, KS
    Current Employee - Yard Driver in Ottawa, KS

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get your full 40 hour weeks regardless of the work load. Benefits are great and the people are great to work with.

Cons

Wish the pay was a little better. Some of group leaders out there get the lead position and take the job to their head.

Advice to Management

They really a good jo of managing the warehouse and sending people to work where there is need to be done. So overall they do a good job.

8. Great job, big company that tries to cultivate smaller feel

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters as an intern

Pros

Hours are 8:30-5:30, depending upon where you work it may be different. Everybody clocks in and out (all hourly workers). Relatively nice people across the board.

Cons

Huge corporation, so it sometimes feels a bit stuffy working there. However, if you like your team it can be a really great smaller community to nestle into within the larger organization.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the sustainability side of the company; keep conducting company-wide community service events; keep encouraging people to live and conduct themselves in a mutually beneficial way.

9. Awesome!

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Amazing discount. 40% off general, 25% extra off clearance and 3rd party items, 10 things fo 60% off every month. Hire level employees get three items for 80% off every month. The company makes sure employees are happy and their suggestions are heard. Always contests going on to win free items and things like that.

Cons

Unfortunately don't get very many hours. But other than that working there is great!

Advice to Management

I think the management is great and everything is fine. I have no advice to give.

10. Assistant manager

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time

Pros

Benefits are great when you've worked there for a while, we have fun at work, always busy never bored.

Cons

The pay is awful, the DMs never have back up plans for when other managers quit so they force unqualified assistants in to the job, there is barely any support or payroll. Yet they expect you to make miracles happen and get credit cards and they all micro manage.

11. Working at AEO has been a great experience.

Current Employee - Jean Expert in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Jean Expert in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros of working at AEO besides their discount are that you get to meet and talk with amazing people from all over the world. You develop a connection with each individual. Growth within the company is also good, you just have to be committed and have the passion and desire to go higher and higher.

Cons

Some challenges that I've been through are dealing with some customers that aren't as respectful as they could be, then again that's everywhere.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do, respect your associates and they'll respect you.

RSS Feed </> Embed