American Eagle Outfitters

3.5
1,158 Reviews

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein
Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products (in 168 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • They even made one girl cry because she "wasn't getting enough credit cards" while she was on register (in 95 reviews)

• Work life balance is terrible with no rules to regulate hours between shifts (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Lead Cashier

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Uptempo environment, outrageous discounts, somewhat competitive pay depending on your area and its volume/traffic.

Cons

Managers expect too much work for such a low pay. Must hound them for raises and sometimes more hours. Always slow except for holidays and half of summer.

Bring your associates in no lower than $8.50 and coach them towards raises instead of piling on the workload with no incentives

fun place

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

flexible work hours
    fun employees
    fair managers

Cons

not used to your full potential

generally positive; a regular sales associate position

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

decent pay, decent hours, loved my co workers; discount on clothes and shoes and accessories

Cons

favoritism; forced to sell credit cards when customers really do no want o purchase them

stop forcing us to sell credit cards, customers do not want to purchase them

Good first job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Great learning environment for new

Cons

Low pay late hours for

None

Great opportunities, positive environment, great experience.

Current Employee - Key Holder, Stock Lead, Shift Lead in Rochester Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Key Holder, Stock Lead, Shift Lead in Rochester Hills, MI

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-hard work is recognized and rewarded
    -advancement opportunities
    -company appears to respect and value employees, not beat them down and overwork them as in many retail jobs
    -incredible (though complicated at times) discount, great employee contests
    -there is room for your individual ideas to be heard
    -store manager can create a really positive environment: our SM is great, makes associates feel valued, works right along side us, spends time coaching, stays really positive. This could be a 'con', though, because a poor store manager could create a really negative atmosphere.
    -associates are utilized for their unique strengths, i.e. 'taskers' vs. 'sellers'.
    -really fun work environment, make great friends and have fun at work.

I started this job just looking for a regular retail job to earn some extra income and I have instead ended up full-time in a leadership role in the store, and I have learned so much about many aspects of retail: visual, selling, business, managing, etc....great experience!

Cons

-quicker management turnover - once you get used to your team, it changes....
    -pay for an associate is not competitive
    -formal training is often insufficient (more the fault of higher management than store management; it's just not possible to train with the hours allotted)
    -In my current position, I sometimes feel as though my workload is proportionally larger, and I frequently have to end my day dissatisfied that I did not get to everything that I should have. But, this is also a major pro for someone like me who thrives on being busy, doesn't do well with idle time, and prefers a fast pace throughout the entire workday.

Be more strict. There is essentially zero penalty for being very late or missing a shift without calling, and this is hugely abused

Store Manger

Current Employee - Store Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Challenging & rewarding. Never bored, always room for growth and betterment.

Cons

Retail hours. Nights, weekends and holidays. If you are not in the business, another manager needs to be there. You can not take time off and make up for your work later. Your schedule effects many other peoples.

Keep communication open and acknowledge good and poor performance. Listen to other managers. If multiple people are questioning their peers actions, there is most likely a valid reason

good company

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

developer friendly environment. office feels likes startup

Cons

upper management decisions dnt align with business objectives

great retail store to work for

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hicksville, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hicksville, NY

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay very well for retail and offer pretty decent benefits. Awesome employee discount and if your able to hit goals pretty decent monthly bonuses

Cons

the con to every retail - being required to work holidays. Not a fan of how early the stores are now opening for black friday either

Train management in different stores other then the one they will be working in.

Fun Place to Work

Current Employee - Stock Lead in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Stock Lead in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Discount
    Great CoWorkers
    Trendy Work Environment
    Great Work/Life Balance
    Great for Students
    PTO For Managers

Cons

Inconsistent Hours
    Overnight Floorsets
    Too much Micromanagement from Middle Managers
    Difficult Customers
    No Room For Advancement
    Poor Part Time Benefits

Middle management needs to not micromanage so much. We know how to do our jobs.

Definitely lived my life in American Eagle

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, the company is really customer driven and big on providing an individual experience

Cons

As management, during peak times (holiday and BTS) it was a challenge to get tasks/units completed within the time limits corporate allocated as far as shipment, markdowns, and floor sets

American Eagle Outfitters Photos