American Eagle Outfitters Reviews

Reset
2.0
American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein
Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • Fun people great discount nice people (in 168 reviews)

• Great employee discount (30-60%) (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting people to sign up for credit cards is tough (in 95 reviews)

• No regard for work life balance (in 28 reviews)

1. Poor Management

Former Employee - General Employee in Deerpark, MD
    Former Employee - General Employee in Deerpark, MD

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other coworkers were nice. Store was always clean and organized. Located in a wealthy area so making lots of huge sales daily.

Cons

Management did not know what they were doing. Never gave people the shifts they requested. Rude to employees for making mistakes due to improper training.

Advice to Management

Fill the workspace with employees who fit the company culture and are willing to actually push sales, bringing the place up not down.

2. assistant manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Ponce, PR
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Ponce, PR

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Tools, fashion, rate, quality, experience

Cons

New opportunities for my life

3. Very snooty workers

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You wont free items during the holidays and thats about it

Cons

Very rude management Very cliche and clique Made an effort to make a food of temporary workers Gave little to no hours

Advice to Management

Step down off of your high horse, you're still working in retail

5. Aeo.

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros about aeo is that the clothes are pretty freaking nice great quality good discounts for staff.

Cons

Cons, where do I start? Even though you get a discount the clothes there are actually pretty expensive even with the discount. The people that come in the store can be really rude mainly because a high percentage of the people are stuck up rude teenagers who believe they own the store and treat workers horrible.

Advice to Management

Care somewhat about your workers instead of only caring about yourself.

6. Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

Great Contest Even better discount Young and fun environment

Cons

Size dicrimination Not enough support Not enough tasking hours given

Advice to Management

Dont discriminate against plus size people who work for you! I was railroaded out of the company because when the new DM took over she thought I was too big to work there!

Times Square is a SCARE!

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time

Pros

-The employee discount is very generous -Great contests to drive sales

Cons

-No work life balance -All work NO reward, NO recognition -Senior Management is out of touch with reality, sales plans are not realistic -Does not have competitive pay -For the store being the highest volume store in the company, there is little reward or recognition for the hours and stress. The store is open until 1am and operates 24 hours. The store does not bonus because senior managers are out of touch with realistic sales plans. (However, I was told that the reason for that is the company purposely over plans because they do not have the budget to pay out bonus! ... Sounds like a dream job, right!) -Too many Chiefs, no Indians -BE CAREFUL, you will be sold a $1 and a dream HOWEVER it is -$100 and a reoccurring NIGHTMARE that you will not wake up from, especially at 6am buried in go backs and no payroll to support -Not a team environment, everyone is out for themselves and that's it. Times square is a sink or swim environment, and if you are a swimmer you better be Michael Phelps otherwise you will drown as well.

Advice to Management

-Better financial compensation for the hours and time and stress that is involved with working in Times Square. -Care about your people! Its all about customer first but NOT about the people whose blood sweat and tears go into running and operating the building on a daily basis -No management recognition!

Experience with AE

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The employee discount And monthly bonus potential for management.

Cons

The growth potential and direct management appreciation of their workers.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee growth and follow through on commitments.

9. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westlake, OH

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gives good benefits to employees. 40% off normal priced clothes & 50% off of clearance.

Cons

The store management & regional management in my area were very condescending. The overall policies that AE enforces upon it's employees made me uncomfortable. For example, always offering the store credit card & not being able to stop verbalizing its benefits until the customer refused three times.... Regardless of how they felt. Not good business.

Advice to Management

Stop talking poorly about your employees to other managers/co-workers.

10. eh

Pros

Free stuff if you perform well

Cons

management doesnt care one bit

Advice to Management

care about your employees and they will stay

11. Middle Management Egos Rule With An Iron Fist

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If there's only one thing to be taken from this review: an employee's happiness/sense of satisfaction/amount of hours/ANYTHING to do with the job is entirely determined by 1. Who your District Manager is 2. How much your store draws the attention of your DM 3. How much your Regional Manager reins in your DM. 4. How much Kool Aid your Store Manager has drunk from your Regional Manager. If your DM isn't breathing down your neck (Personally can't envision such a scenario in this company lasting longer than a few months) then you can be part of a truly great environment. Nobody knows the strengths and weaknesses of a given store better than the employees who are present in it everyday in all aspects. There have been occasions in which my store hasn't had this dogmatic martial law in place and power was in the hands of the store managers. It was a productive, happy time. Numbers (Key Performance Indicators, as they're known internally) soared to levels we hadn't ever seen before, the store was immaculately recovered, employees were listened to and valued, and people who didn't come to perform were dealt with. Take note of the fact that even though we were succeeding on all counts, District Management put an end to it as soon as they could in the name of them running the store "by the book", and we've already suffered greatly for it. However, this experience really showed me that it's possible to really succeed here if your store is left alone by higher ups. Which is backwards. The real pros of working for AEO come in at the DM level. You're basically given a blank check. You have MUCH less pressure on you at that position (again I say: backwards. You've got more responsibility, more at stake, plus you're getting paid quite a bit more, this position should be more highly scrutinized.) and so long as your subordinate stores turn a profit then you're fine. You have so much power in this position. You don't have to actually alter/reform any procedures, you just have to see it carried out. If you have a fantasy of becoming your own Wolf of Wall Street (of middle management) then this is your company, by Jove.

Cons

Everything that's a pro for DMs turns into a con and trickles down through the store. You will be expected to make quota with or without the proper support from higher ups. Everything is treated as a monolithic block, in the sense that an individual store's needs are overlooked for a company standard that is extremely difficult for even the most ideal of locations to obtain without some custom tailoring. The carte blanche the DM is given can quickly break out into some truly nefarious practices, such as bringing in an assistant manager to organize a coup to overthrow a sitting store manager. (This isn't rumored. I, just a sales' associate, was personally told this by the new shady assistant manager.) DMs can and will lie like politicians. For example, the DM had personally told me MORE than once that I was a fantastic employee and personally thanked me for my commitment. Now that I've been in contact with HR and have reported policy violations (the same policies that upper management accepts without question, mind you) this DM says my performance throughout the years has been inconsistent and I lack care for the store, even though I've stayed here at the sacrifice of other oppurtunities as a struggling college student in order to see through what I started back when I first came to AEO. Upper management will also not listen to anyone who doesn't speak their language of corporate mind tricks. If you can toe the line and you can put on a façade of never having any problems, then your reward will be some measure of peace from constant audits and threats. This is so much easier said than done. Employees who truly care about their jobs are of course going to have disagreements with the way things are handled if they're contrary to established successes.

Advice to Management

DMs,, INVEST IN YOUR SUBORDINATES. Take the time to get a feel for what goes on in a given store, spend like 3 hours every week in each one. Listen to everyone at every level, whether it's your enthusiastic, implacable store manager with nothing to share but feigned adoration for everything taking place, or if it's that cashier who just started, and this is their first job. EVERY bit of information you get is an asset. When we do well, LET US KNOW. Let us know what we do matters. Let us know how we did it, so that we may duplicate it. Cash rewards are nice, not boxes of candy destined to sit on the break table that you *can't even take home and enjoy by yourself*. And when we do not so well? Help us. Are we not getting enough credit cards? Maybe have cashiers show you their asking procedure, then follow up with the store manager to adjust training. Don't automatically assume we don't ask or don't care. Invest in what you've got before you bring others in, especially more senior employees. Finally and perhaps most importantly: Regional Managers, start watching your DMs and holding them accountable. Be out in that field listening to everyone's input, don't accept a DM's word as gospel. Keep their power levels and egos in check.

Showing 226 of 1,515 reviews