American Eagle Outfitters

American Eagle Outfitters Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

American Eagle Outfitters CEO Robert Hanson

Robert Hanson

Pros:
  • "There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products"
    in 120 reviews
  • "One of the best aspects of AEO is the employee discount"
    in 62 reviews
Cons:
  • "For one the poor sales associates hours are based off of how many credit cards they get"
    in 74 reviews
  • "Minimum wage, which is not a fun thing if you live in New York"
    in 43 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was like my "boot camp", taught me everything about perfect presentation, operations and kpi's.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPros: they pay very well, the have an amazing discount. The music is always new and up to date.

ConsCons: they had major issues with following protocol, they favored a lot and honestly discriminated. I felt like towards the end of my second year, beginning of my third... I felt like I was in high school all over again. I also felt like the had unreasonable dead lines to complete tasks, sales and run the store with not nearly the right resources to get the project done.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared, come with thick skin, AND Ready To work.

Awful company to work for.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Prosdecent discount - 40%

Cons-Low pay
-Bad hours
-Terrible, inappropriate, and unqualified management
-Irresponsible and immature associates
-Majority of clients that shop this location are very rude (this store does not bring in the best cliental)
-Clothes and quality of clothes are cheap and inconsistent

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a more extensive interview/hiring process for the store management team of this company. Send investigators monthly to stores to get a glimpse of how stores are being run.

It's okay if you just WANT a job, but don't NEED one.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for less than a year

ProsI made some good friends while there and the discount/free stuff is DEFINITELY a perk. It's a pretty hip, lax environment with tons of attractive people on both sides.

ConsIt's all fun and games until your way-too-old-to-be-working-there manager comes down on you hard for things you can't control. I kid you not, my team and I would actually get yelled at by managers because people couldn't afford things or just didn't want another credit card!

Your hours will be horrible! How often you're scheduled to work depends on two things: AE Rewards and AE charge cards. You should make good friends with these two if you actually want to work. It's a very corrupt and political system (then again this is retail we're talking about). Pay isn't bad, but that's probably because they never really schedule you to begin with; so why would they care how much they pay you an hour if they only put you to work 10 hours a week? That's the kind of nonsense I'm talking about. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I could write a whole novel on what these clowns do at this joke of a company, with about 10 chapters on the craziness of being on call like a freaking doctor. What you see as a customer and what you see as an employee are two very different things, as I have now found out....

Take my advice and move on. And I don't just mean AE. I have friends who work in all kinds of clothing outfitters and say they're just as bad. If you want retail, I say Best Buy, Microsoft, Apple, or perhaps a carrier store like AT&T.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou require a much-needed reality check. Address some of the issues above and MAYBE your company would be halfway decent.

One of the poorest run companies, and field management teams in the industry.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time

Pros-Competitive discount (40% off)
-Great medical, dental, and overall insurance benefits.
-A company that if you can blend in, will allow you to stay with them long-term.

Cons-District Managers cause a lot of turnover.
-High stress responsibilities with less than competitive compensation, given responsibilities.
-Contact with DM's is minimal unless DM works out of your store, or comes for a visit. Will only touch base with you/Store Manager on limited basis.
-The challenge, or "winning," never seems possible because the workload, expectations, and ground game is simply unrealistic.
-Very behind the times when it comes to technology. Ex. Could afford to put iPads, and iPods in all stores, yet still doesn't have a single fully functioning desktop computer in any building. Also, store management is forced to hand-write, all stats and numbers for the store in an effort to "build" business acumen and know-how.
-The company wants individuals who are willing to do their bosses job without being compensated, AND are genuinely unwilling to hire individuals who don't meet a very superficial, and at times unprofessional experience, or appearance standard (and I'm not talking about people who don't wear AE).
-In hindsight, the attitude from top to bottom in upper management with American Eagle over 2013 could be directly correlated to how stocks/the company performed. As Q3, and Q4 progressed, and the company became less, and less profitable, DM's, RM's, and everyone else for that matter, became less, and less pleasant.
-Associates/Keyholders/Assistants being told that they're "not qualified" to promote within the company, and giving them *NO* training, and following through on no training programs that the company claims exist is a moral killer.
-Any exiting member of management will be blamed for any and all shortcomings of the store, or failings on any level within the store.
-A political cycle.
-Every aspect of managing an AE store is made one-thousand times more complicated than any other retailer makes it.
-The company is not doing as well financially as they brag, or act on the surface. Do your own research on stock performances, and overall store performance before taking anyone who is hiring you at their word.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and get with the times. Definitely take a closer look at retail field leadership. Really look at what their doing, and promote from within more often. Invest in your training and development like you promise when you hire individuals, and since you go after talent with such large volumes of experience, make it worth the investment. Look at what employees, both current and former are saying about American Eagle, the culture, selling environment, and just what it's really like to work for company - and that doesn't mean send a DM in to ask baited questions that will continue the political cycle.

Left more to be desired.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for less than a year

ProsI enjoyed working with my co-workers. They were all very helpful and we all got along really well. In the end, they were the only reason why I was going to keep my job there.

ConsI got scheduled once in three weeks. I don't have a car with me this semester, and I rely on friends and public transportation. Whenever I was scheduled, they put me on at times that it was absolutely impossible for me to get a ride there unless I walked. They also cancelled my shifts without telling me beforehand, so I found a way to work and then had to turn back around.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to schedule people fairly. I had years of retail experience and great references, but I was only scheduled after everyone else had received "prime" hours despite transportation restraints.

I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters

ProsThe only pro I can add is that they did have hours for me and they paid me. Other than that I do not have much to say.

ConsThe hours were long. They expected you to work from 4-9 but stay until 12 without prior notice. There were nights where employees were working until 2 or 3 in the morning and expected them to be in for 8 the next morning.

Horrible culture with fake people

Merchandise Planner (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time for less than a year

ProsDecent salary and great for networking

ConsFake people, lots of drama, everyone hooks up with everyone, people try to put you down so they can get ahead, zero HR support

Not good if you are over the ages of 16-18

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters

ProsGood discount. That is the only pro to working for this company.

ConsIf you are over the age of 18 don't expect to go in there and be treated like an adult. It won't happen. The management is disrespectful and talks to there associates in an unexceptible way. You will bust your butt for this company and be treated like crap in return.

Do not expect to get lunch breaks. If you are a closer do not expect to leave the store before 2am.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the proper way to talk to your associates before it gets to the point where nobody wants to work for you.

Not very fun at all

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Katy, TX

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time

ProsCool environment, great place to work for high school and college kids

ConsHorrible hours, no place for advancement and they have over 200 employees so there's a constant struggle for hours

Overly Micro Managed

Sales Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time for more than a year

ProsThe only things remotely nice about working here are the friendly staff (well some anyway) and the employee discount.

ConsSadly the cons far outweigh the pros. When I first started here, I was a part time associate. I had three years of customer service experience and a bachelors degree in business yet I was "unqualified" for any type of management position. I decided to suck it up and work through the company. Big mistake! I told one of my assistant managers I wanted to move up and she promptly started treating me horribly and trash talking me to the other managers. I complained about this to not only my store manager but also to my district manager and they did nothing. Finally after a year of complaining and having two other managers quit because of her, management stepped up and took care of it. I was finally promoted to sales lead, which is the lowest form of management, and it only got worse from there. I was given no additional training, the raise was pitiful, only a dollar an hour above minimum wage, and there is so much micro management it's ridiculous! Every morning there is voicemails from the district manager listing off new tasks, unrealistic sales goals, and sale changes. I've had corporate change a sale on me three times in one day before! There is also way to much paperwork. Not only do you fill out the same paperwork every morning, you must fill out paperwork and track sales hourly! It becomes very tedious and redundant after a short while. When new product comes out, corporate sends pictures of how you have to display it and instructions on where to put it, how to fold it, and how to market it. Before every single shift, every associate must watch a video, take notes, and discuss his or her performance and how he or she will improve next shift. There is no room for thinking or using any skills at all really. Everything is spoon fed to you and you are expected to follow along without question.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees! When problems arise, don't just sweep them under the rug and hope they go away, resolve them!!

Work in a store for a change to understand what really goes on. New policies might sound good on paper but don't work well in the store.

Provide training for your managers. My "training" was WATCHING the new assistant manager train.

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Eagle Outfitters reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Eagle Outfitters CEO Robert Hanson. All 754 reviews posted anonymously by American Eagle Outfitters employees.