American Eagle Outfitters

3.5
1,073 Reviews

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein
Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products (in 168 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • They even made one girl cry because she "wasn't getting enough credit cards" while she was on register (in 95 reviews)

• Work life balance is terrible with no rules to regulate hours between shifts (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment
    Really great people

Cons

Busy need to be very quick

Be caring
    Help out everyone

people i worked with were great

Former Employee - Jean Expert in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Jean Expert in Hollywood, CA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

cheap cloth alot of days off lol

Cons

shittie paid bad hours

work harder an be more fair

Good, but room for improvement

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fond du Lac, WI
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fond du Lac, WI

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Young, energetic, and relatable co-workers. Decent employee discounts, easy to move up in the company if you show you have the interest.

Cons

As a sales associate, you have the typical daily issue with irritated/rude customers, but that's the only real trouble you have. You must be good with rejection, since you have to try to get customers to sign up for in-store credit cards.

Make the rewards system for employees getting credit card applications a little more appealing. It's for too easy for employees to not try getting CC sign-ups, since they don't see a worthwhile benefit to themselves. Maybe a $0.25/hour raise for the day for each credit card they get?

Decent Part-Time

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Athens, GA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you like the clothing, you receive great discounts. Also, they use some metrics to rate sales associates, if you rank high you get more say in your schedule than someone who ranks low.

Cons

The job is only as good as your store management

More training and vetting for store managers would create better consistency within the brand

Don't bother...

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Friendly coworkers. Uhhh they like to solve issues.

Cons

Too many cons. First let's start off by saying that you have to sell your body to them. I work so hard for them and do so much good. But one little mistake, your life is on the line. No set schedule. It's based upon how many reward cards and credit cards you sell. They don't care about your customer assistance. The only reason why I still work there is because I'm the best with GoBacks so they give me my hours. For the first 4 months you'll only be receiving 8 hours a week. That basically cuts the gas of driving there and back. You can't work your way up in the company and your coworkers love to start drama and think they're better.

There's no TEAM WORK. and they would love to get you fired. In the beginning I liked it, but once the facade disappears you'll get a clear image. Your life revolves around call-ins. You can't make plans because of it. It's not a real job. It's for those who are uneducated high schoolers who think it's hip and have a low GPA. Honestly I've never dealt with such stupid people.

Actually it's funny because they say mean stuff to you in front of customers. Not professional at all. My manager laughed and said if I had ADD because I stopped folding the shirts to assist a customer who approached me. Let's not forget that ADD is a disability one may have keeping them from being normal. It's almost like asking someone if they're autistic. Very unprofessional. I literally am boggled by all of this realization that has appeared to me. But then there are those few who are super fun and smart who are awesome. To be promoted you'd probably have to work there for a really, really, really long time. The job is easy to get. Once I spoke they knew I had some knowledge just by me speaking. I'm not bashing on the company because I hate it or suck at my job. Because quite frankly I'm awesome at multitasking and doing all the GoBacks and organizing within minutes. But it's not professional.

Respect those who are doing all the work while you guys just watch them. I don't mean to bash the company because it's well aware that many AEO's have closed down and AERIE. But open your eyes and appreciate the sales associate. It's not about credit cards. It's about knowing how to deal with people.

Part time sales associate

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun environment with great coworkers

Cons

They don't pay associates enough and from what I knew neither did they pay managers well.

The low pay is the worst part of working for this company.

Good way to gain experience as an Assistant Buyer

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Learn a lot quickly and given plenty of responsibility early on. Good work-life balance and office culture.

Cons

Leadership is awful... There really is no direction and no one can make a sound decision. People like playing the blame game.

Be better leaders and have a clear direction. Stop changing your mind constantly.

Stock Associate

Former Employee - Stock Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Discount
    Pay
    nothing else really
    I was working with a friend

Cons

No training
    Rude managers
    No respect
    Don't pay attention to availability
    Rude co workers (some)

I worked here for a week, yes a week. I was hired on the spot, no interview, which was very unprofessional of them. I was hired as a seasonal employee, and assigned to do stock. I was given no training or instructions on my first day of what to do, i ended up sitting in the stock room clueless as to what to do on my first day. On my second day i was finally assigned a task, but still no training, or explaining of where everything was. On black Friday, they assigned me to work sales, when i had no training what so ever on sales, cause all week i had worked stock and gotten used to it. They set me up for failure. The following week, one of the managers asked to speak to me, and told me she had spoken about me to other employees (which is not allowed) and that i was struggling (how could i succeed when i had no training?!) on black Friday. If a customer doesn't want help, I'm not going to annoy them out of the store to lose sales, as they clearly want us to do. Sometimes, they would forget to tell me when i had to go on break, or not tell me my shift was over (as they are supposed to do over the headset) and i would work a full shift without a break, until i had to ask when it was, which they would then tell me my shift was over. I would not recommend working at American Eagle, at least Eaton Centre location. I had to miss school to work, and they paid no mind to my availability.

Great all America company

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incentives Discounts Ambience Values fun

Cons

Prepare to have a lot of coworkers

don't over hire.

Love working here

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lethbridge, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lethbridge, AB (Canada)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

-Great staff
    -Really simple to book time off
    -Opportunity to move up in the company
    -Awesome discount. (40% off storewide, 25% off clearance and gift cards, 60% off certain seasonal items)
    -Flexible. I started as regular daytime staff in the summer then moved to stock overnights during school to keep the job and cash flow, they were extremely receptive

Cons

It's a retail job, the pay isn't as great as say a receptionist or call center rep, but that's ro be expected. You need to work your way up and earn your pay check. If you like the people you work with, it's totally worth it

Keep doing what you're doing! I haven't had a better manager than the onestop I had st American Eagle. Awesome people, awesome company

American Eagle Outfitters Photos