American Eagle Outfitters Reviews

Reset

1,361 Employee Reviews

1. Sales Associate

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

AMAZING company culture. You can receive up to 80% if you become a stylist/jean expert. Very big on team building skills and maintains a collaborative, supportive environment.

Cons

Pay could have been better. The discount did balance it out though. Hours during the holidays were rough but that is with any retail job!

2. Great place towork.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlton, NJ

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

I was hired with no retail experience, but I really enjoyed my time there. Laid back, and everyone really did work as a team to get all the tasks done and the mood lively. People were cool about covering shifts and helping each other out. Very strong management team at Marlton, NJ at The Promenade at Sagemore, best I have ever worked for.

Cons

Some coworkers were much closer than others, from being friends prior to being hired or working together for a long time and sometimes it made other new hires feel left out.

3. fun environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Katy, TX

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters (More than a year)

Pros

the pay was ok, better than half clothing stores though. they have the best employee benefits. can go up to 80% off items if you become a jean expert or stylist. you get selected items for 60% off and the avg employee discount is 40% off, so you will always be making big saves if you love american eagle clothes. i might still be working there if my new store manager wasn't a total biotch. she drove me to quit which is really sad. i worked for this company for over a year and have nothing bad to say about them. they know how to train their employees to do customer service right and i always enjoyed helping someone out. it made me happy when i could find what they were looking for.
    this job is also very lenient with working with your schedule. if something comes up they will understand and help you out. my car had broke down at one point and i couldn't work for a while. instead of firing me i had a month off and could back to work when i had transportation again. Just do what you are told and be friendly and you will love the job and everyone
    you work with. best job i ever had as a teen.

Cons

had to move on to bigger paying job. i only had $8.00 an hr :[

Advice to Management

you guys were the best! everyone was fare and worked fast and efficiently.

5. Sales Associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden City, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden City, NY

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts, energy, people, customers, great opportunities

Cons

stressfull, sometimes workers aren't so nice,

6. Don't do it

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Discount was pretty decent other than that there are no pros

Cons

Upper management is horrible and does not support mid level management

Advice to Management

Support store managers better

7. Sales

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Discounts are the only pros I have

Cons

Management can really treat you like you are beneath them

8. Sale associate

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

Amazing discount, flexible hours

Cons

The managers really make or break your experience and it can be very hit or miss

9. Good Place to work under the right circumstances

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time

Pros

decent pay, the discount was amazing, very laid back and low key, work was easy, co workers and managers were all friendly and laid back, you didn't have to request time off, you just told them when you needed off and they'd approve it. Overall it was an ideal place to work...

Cons

getting any hours was nearly impossible. Unless you sold tons of credit (which is difficult if you never work cash register) you'd barely get hours if any. It's actually insulting the amount of hours I got. I went over 2 months without any hours. They play favorites so basically the same 3 people work all the time. They were constantly hiring which is good in theory, but it's a small store that could literally survive with 3 employees there at a time so hours are beyond slim. They never trained me for register so the only thing I could do was greet at the front or help customer in the fitting rooms, both of which get extremely boring after time.

Advice to Management

stop hiring so many new people and start using the employees you have and stop playing favorites and actually schedule people

10. Fast paced and fun!

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Stock/Stylist in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Stock/Stylist in Midland, TX

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool managers, cool customers, just a fun place to work

Cons

Irregular hours and low pay

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone is properly trained

11. Treat employees well

Current Employee - Supervisor in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

During a recent site closure, the company went out of their way to help employees find new jobs such as training sessions with unemployment, benefits, career link, 401K, etc so we all knew what our options were and what we needed to do. Additionally, they went out of their way to provide employees with an on site Job Fair with local companies to try and secure employment by site closure. The company announced the site closure 18 months in advance and did everything they could to inform people and help place people whether through transfers to other sites or through other companies. Thank you for going above and beyond to help us all.

Cons

The con was that DC didn't get all the perks that home office did. For a company that pushed One DC, One Goal - there were inequalities in that regard. However, we were always well taken care of.

Showing 1,361 of 1,374 reviews