American Eagle Outfitters

American Eagle Outfitters Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

American Eagle Outfitters Interim CEO Jay Schottenstein

Jay Schottenstein

Pros
  • There are lots of fun incentives for employees and a great discount on products (in 129 reviews)

• Great employee discount that you are able to share with family and friends (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • For one the poor sales associates hours are based off of how many credit cards they get (in 80 reviews)

• Work life balance is terrible with no rules to regulate hours between shifts (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

aerie Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsHave good idea to spear-head the market on women's intimates in a more laid-back, less sexy way than competitors.

ConsToo much turnover in upper management. Never could stick with one idea long enough to see if it would be successful.

Good For Gaining Experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe people I worked with were great, so many year later I am still friends with many of them. Loved getting the discounts on merchandise.

ConsThe availability of growth and advancement is almost non-existent. You are patronized for wanting time off, even as a student. Very high stress for being a retail job.

Too big to fail, too big to succeed

Merchandising (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe work environment is not generally horrible
    Making friends and business connections
    Summer Fridays, random perks, 401K

ConsComplete lack of communication and direction among teams
    The design and production office is in Manhattan. The merchandising office is not. That's where the private jet comes in.
    Time wasting and environment ruining reports and files that receive zero attention
    Those who work hard do just that. Those who join the old boys club move up to do less.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf they haven't figured it out by now..

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Confusing, not reliable, not good source of income

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chandler, AZ

ProsThe clothes, the atmosphere, the discount on clothes. The kids I worked with were really nice and I loved the mall I was in. The training was great.

ConsThe position was temporary and the only way you could work is if you call in and ask if they need your help for that day. Most of the time you were never scheduled for a real shift. Also, they told me right off the bat, this job will not pay your bills. Its just enough money to have some extra cash. They said its basically a job in exchange for their clothes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive higher pay and give better expectations of what the hours will be like, esp for temporary positions.

Sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe discounts you get for working here are awesome! The people are super nice and helpful. It's a pretty easy job. It can be fun at times

ConsThe hours suck! The even scheduled me then told me Not to come in!

Good first job or job for a student.

Merchandise Lead (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood sales experience, coworkers are usually the same age group which makes working together easier. Good first job or job for a student.

ConsDepending on how you perform your hours will vary. Management can be unprofessional and customers can also be a burden.

Gets old super fast!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsGreat discount, flexible schedule, fun environment.

ConsGets boring during slow hours, annoying customers, people steal constantly, terrible hours. I've been there for over a year, one of the best employees, I always win the competitions we have, but I still get like 8 hours a week! It doesnt pay my bills unless is BTS season or holiday season.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry promoting within for once!

Great company overall!!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDirect managers are amazing, stable company that gives back a ton to the associates, shows recognition, established brand, longevity throughout leadership, and fast paced ever changing work environment

ConsValues and direction became unclear under former CEO, so there is work to be done. Mostly at the store level having making up the ground lost with less payroll to get it done. Product seems to be less what the customer is asking for and more of what designers and buyers can make a quick buck on, quality decrease over past year

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept more feedback from the field when it comes to product and needs of our area, management tries hard to stay connected but doesn't have a good system for accepting feedback. The field can't make up most of the lost ground, you say we are a customer first company but give us less people on the floor to deliver customer service? doesn't make the most sense

Way better than other jobs available to high schoolers

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Williamsburg, VA

ProsThere can be a fairly relaxed work environment if you know how to get things done still. They give out compensation for sales sometimes, like free items.

ConsYou can definitely see some favoritism sometimes, but it's usually due to difference in work ethic so it makes sense. Also sometimes when there are multiple managers at the store the L.O.D. loses their position somewhat and tasks get disorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust to keep management on the same page as well so associates can work more effectively and less stressed.

Great place to work for a first time job!

Cashier (Current Employee) Sunrise, FL

ProsGreat staff and a high energy working environment.

ConsShift might get cut sometimes.

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!