American Economic Association

Be The First To
Add Photos

I was a temporary Editorial Assistant for three months

Editorial Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsLaid-back, academic-like venue of sorts. Most people were reasonably courteous and helpful., though not all!

ConsLack of willing engagement from large journal's managing editor over substantive tasks being sought--such as proofreading and copy editing--both of which I was eminently qualified to do, and--frankly--had expected to perform at some point.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you bring someone on board who possesses editorial skills and experience, it would behoove you to allow them to perform some of that work--rather than having them primarily perform mostly mind-numbing database upkeep. In my case, I was not even permitted to take the copy-editing test to demonstrate my proficiency--which undeniably told me I had fallen into disfavor with the editor of the AER journal on a personal level--though I was never apprised of the why or wherefores directly!

Disappointing, unrewarding experience

Editorial Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) Penn Pitt, PA

ProsNumerous potential opportunities in publishing for academic journal.

ConsWas not afforded many opportunities beyond administrative tasks, as I had expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should allow skilled, qualified individuals with demonstrated competencies to assume more responsibilities.

Worked for American Economic Association? Contribute to the Community!