American Economic Association

CEO

1. I was a temporary Editorial Assistant for three months

Former Contractor - Editorial Assistant (Temporary) in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Contractor - Editorial Assistant (Temporary) in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at American Economic Association as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid-back, academic-like venue of sorts. Most people were reasonably courteous and helpful., though not all!

Cons

Lack of willing engagement from large journal's managing editor over substantive tasks being sought--such as proofreading and copy editing--both of which I was eminently qualified to do, and--frankly--had expected to perform at some point.

Advice to Management

When you bring someone on board who possesses editorial skills and experience, it would behoove you to allow them to perform some of that work--rather than having them primarily perform mostly mind-numbing database upkeep. In my case, I was not even permitted to take the copy-editing test to demonstrate my proficiency--which undeniably told me I had fallen into disfavor with the editor of the AER journal on a personal level--though I was never apprised of the why or wherefores directly!

2. Disappointing, unrewarding experience

Former Contractor - Editorial Assistant (Temporary) in Penn Pitt, PA
    Former Contractor - Editorial Assistant (Temporary) in Penn Pitt, PA

I worked at American Economic Association as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Numerous potential opportunities in publishing for academic journal.

Cons

Was not afforded many opportunities beyond administrative tasks, as I had expected.

Advice to Management

They should allow skilled, qualified individuals with demonstrated competencies to assume more responsibilities.

RSS Feed </> Embed