American Express

American Express Reviews in London, England

Updated Jul 24, 2014

American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault

Ken Chenault

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance and they are very invested in their employees(in 398 reviews)

• Home Based Servicing has a bit more flexibility given that it is a work from home position(in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Amex is known for its work life balance but it is totally fake n wrong perception(in 68 reviews)

• decision making processes and promotion of less qualified individuals(in 42 reviews)

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very happy with company

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIntelligent management, great opportunity to move around

ConsToo much paperwork, can be hard to find right contact

Great Company to Work For!

Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros* Great work/life balance, but comes in peaks and troughs often
    * Excellent brand on your CV
    * Great community and peers/seniors to develop yourself
    * Good benefits and over average remuneration
    * Truly global blue chip with a lot of opportunities abroad
    * Great office locations
    * Very flexible with home-working
    * Good holiday allowances

Cons* Need to improve support technology, like expense management systems, PTO trackers, etc
    * Could use CRM better
    * Salaries are on the peak of the bell-curve (or just to the wrong side), is a driver in some good people leaving
    * Need to remove some of the technological systems that are out of date and take up time from field-staff's day
    * sometimes you get thrown in the deep end if you're a joiner
    * training is below par
    * difficult to find adequate cover for some roles when you need PTO

Advice to Senior Management* remove some of the operational aspects of field roles and give them to other teams
    * Have a better support system for when staff leave/join/PTO
    * Improve transition process for staff that are leaving/joining
    * invest in better training (not necessarily more expensive training, this is not synonymous)

Nice place to work

Senior Manager, Marketing (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsEmployee focus, strong leadership and very qualified people

ConsToo much politics when moving to the next level

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Development Manager

Business Development (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAmex take care of their own, and a very team driven. You're are made to feel part of something working there. Good basic salary and clearly defined working hours

ConsEvery single aspect of the role had to be checked with multiple stakeholders so it would take months to get simple things approved. Worst commission/bonus structure I have come across in 6 years in the business. The middle management team are completely unrealistic about their market position, competition and forecasts.

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked on the foreign exchange desk...when selling niche services employ candidates who have experience in that field....dont just hire telesale people who have not interest in delivering quality customer service.

Offers Some Great Opportunities But Very Political

Marketing Director (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI had a number of great roles when I worked there - it's a well-repsected brand to have on your CV and I learnt a lot.

ConsIn recent years, the number of restructures have been significant, and it can be difficult to get things done across functional teams. Performance expectations are high but this is often not reflected in compensation or support.

Has been putting shareholder interests ahead of customer and employee interests for too long; technology is also behind.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood group of people
    Good brand
    Some groups look after customers well

ConsLots of politics
    Has not invested enough in technology
    Employee interests well behind shareholder

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after employees more
    Realize how political culture has become
    Invest in technology

High performing innovator with dynamic and smart workers

Marketing (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat brand that is customer focused
    Very strong leadership with a people and financial focus
    Lots of highly educated and dynamic workers
    Positive culture that encourages engagement

ConsLots of alpha types, so very competitive environment
    Pay not industry leading
    Limited presence/investment outside of the US

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing and lead the industry through innovation

Great culture, great opportunities, average salary

Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros1) Global Mobility
    2) Respect for employees
    3) Work and personal life balance

Cons1) No 360 degree review, which means that your immediate boss pretty much decided your growth in this company
    2) Average Salary

Advice to Senior ManagementInstitute a 360 degree review

Perfect company for A type workaholics, with no mission in life and cou

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsOK pay packet and benefits
    Amex employ top professionals, so you will work in a very professional environment
    You may run into a few amazing leaders
    Amex is quite brave and innovative compared to other industry players
    Big in US, not so much outside
    You will learn ins and outs of management by objectives and boring things like budgeting, performance management, etc. It may prove useful
    Good experience for a couple of years, then leave

ConsTypical financial services company, very shareholder profit oriented
    No life work balance, you will feel squeezed like a lemon after couple of years
    Perfect for traditionalists and those avoiding risk, but lay offs are frequent, so beware
    Proper matrix organisation, very hierarchical, those who play politics get promoted

The only thing constant is change

Project Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- Dynamic, market driven and competitive organisation determined to remain a big player in financial services.
    - Committed to invest in developing digital products and tools for consumers and businesses.
    - Popular Board Leadership - Ken Chenault and his team are visionary, driven and passionate and that comes across in all of their communications.

Cons- Focus has shifted more heavily toward the shareholder in recent years, with the employee feeling less part of a business 'family' and more a nameless commodity, albeit a reasonably paid commodity. This affects employee loyalty, commitment and enthusiasm.
    - IS/IT infrastructure (especially employee intranet) is challenging to work with.
    - Recent introduction of Blue Working in Servicing Centres adds to sterile/impersonal working environment.
    - Flawed meritocracy due to poorly coordinated and top down commitment to goals and deliverables, reliable metrics.
    - Gaps in leadership ability, quality, and credibility between the Board in New York and Regional/Local centres sometimes expose middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix top down gaps! Ensure commitment and alignment at all leadership levels to ensure regional and local centres fully understand and buy in to the plan.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!