American Express

2,020 Reviews

American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault
Ken Chenault
1,469 Ratings

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is very good and one of the few reasons I have stayed so long (in 455 reviews)

• The schedule my department has is amazing and there are work from home opportunities (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Amex is known for its work life balance but it is totally fake n wrong perception (in 77 reviews)

• Consensus based decision making slows everything down, to a ridiculous extent at times (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

484 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good brand, good people, unclear vision/strategy, poor leadership

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

American Express is a great brand that treats its customers very well. I learned a lot about all the factors to be considered when launching a new customer experience or product. I was happy with my pay even though some people complained about it not being competitive to the New York market rate. Obviously it's not competitive if you're comparing it to investment banking, but I thought it was very competitive to market rate. Work life balance was great and there was a high degree of ownership. The company also encourages you to move around and explore other areas of the business, so it's a great way to explore other interests (e.g. if you're in finance and want to move into digital product management, if you're in New York and want to explore a career overseas). There are also lots of interest groups and activities that the company promotes to encourage personal and professional growth.

Cons

I found that people were often too nice and would avoid confrontation at all costs. The result is that sometimes the culture feels passive aggressive and people spend a lot of time trying to build consensus vs. working on the actual project. Since it's a heavily regulated industry, things move quite slow and they're late to adopt new technologies. Once you get to a certain level, it's nearly impossible to get promoted because there are so few positions open at the VP level, especially if you're outside of New York. Organizational changes are common; during my tenure there, I've seen entire teams being restructured when they thought they had just started on an initiative that leadership cared about. The whole time I was there, I felt that there was very little clarity about the vision and the strategy, how my work was contributing to the overall business goals and objectives beyond the immediate customer impact of my work, and I felt that people promoted to leadership positions were not necessarily great leaders (which is common in other companies too, I'm sure).

Create another career path for those who are great at what they do but are not necessarily great leaders. Take care of your employees the way you would take care of your customers.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Progressive culture
    Competent and professional employees

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited and compensation is low as compared to similar position at competing employers. It has become very bureaucratic since it became a bank holding company.

Since 2008 there has been a gradual erosion of softer aspects that contributed to positive environment at American Express. Bring them back as.

Great marketing company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most groups are embracing working from home.

Cons

Difficult to move across internal organizations.

Great place to learn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for training and movement within the company. I was encouraged to take many training courses which I liked as a person motivated by learning. I got the chance to do lots of work with very smart people. The on-site amenities were good which helped with work life balance.

Cons

Large organizations can be very thick with bureaucracy and sometimes I felt that way at Amex. Also some groups felt very risk-averse, which I struggled with.

Great place to develop

Former Employee - Director - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to develop and learn how to be a professional marketer

Cons

After the financial decline of 2008/2009 the place was never the same. Too many strong leaders let go.

Great company

Current Employee - Vice President, Finance in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President, Finance in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative, good work-life balance, supportive leadership. Ample opportunity to move roles, functions.

Cons

Cost-cutting in the U.S. Can be frustratingly consensus-driven - hard to make a decision. Year-end evaluations and promotions are very competitive.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work life balance at Amex is second to none. Terrific environment of really smart people. Strong company culture with lots of opportunities to grow and move around.

Cons

Too many layers of management. Lots of internal meetings and presentations. Reorganizations are pretty common.

Continue to focus on the employees and empower them to succeed.

Ok to work for

Former Employee - Lead Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Developer in New York, NY

I worked at American Express

Pros

I loved my team. Loved the way we worked together to achieve our goals.

Cons

Too much focus on money and not enough on quality. Too many outside contractors, rapidly losing the amex culture and no one cares about amex any more.

Reduce focus on the shareholders. Quality is more important than speed and cheap contractors.

Solid company, but need to fit into strong culture

Current Employee - Director Compliance in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director Compliance in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance - most teams are open to allowing employees to work from home part of the time. Work with good, smart people who care about the company.

Cons

Salary lower than industry. Networking overly emphasized for new roles and promotions. HR flat out will advise employees that networking, not just qualifications, will get you jobs. If you don't fit into this networking culture, you will not advance - period. Projects take forever to complete because broad consensus is needed to advance.

Do more to end perception that hires are based on who you know. Also, layers of approval needed for decisions at every level impede innovation.

Professionally Exciting and Humane Place to work

I have been working at American Express full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment
    Good training opportunities
    Very good life/work balance
    Global reach and occasion to work on significant projects
    Employee-focused

Cons

Matrixed environment with many layers to penetrate; which - in some instances slows down the process of getting projects through, however people are open to improvement.

It would be helpful to have more opportunities for advancement.