American Express Reviews

Reset
3.8
American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault
Ken Chenault

Pros
  • Very flexible with work/life balance (in 455 reviews)

• Most business units offer flexibility to work from home either all the time or two days per week (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • manager level you are overworked with little work-life balance (in 77 reviews)

• Slow decision-making by senior management (in 49 reviews)

Amazing organization in midst of major transition

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work-life culture is for real - most departments allow employees to work from home 2 days/week or more; generous Paid Time Off and Summer Flex Days; 12 weeks maternity and 2 weeks paternity leave coverages
    High caliber talent - really smart and polished professionals abound
    Company culture used to pay a lot of attention to leadership development and training (less so over time)

Cons

Many of the bets placed by senior management have not paid off, loss of Costco partnership only made the problems worse. The company has been going through waves of workforce reduction for years, and this is only increasing despite a relatively healthy economy. This kind of constant change and resizing has detrimental impacts on employees and ability for high performing people to be recognized and promoted is very very limited.

Advice to Management

Focus on the core business, pay more attention to strategically important partnerships.

2. Director Marketing

Current Employee - Director - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has excellent Name brand recognition. Any United States customer with a decent amount of net worth or wants to have net worth in the future, want one of our cards

Cons

Maybe it is due to being in New York City near Wall Street, but employees at not team oriented. You will not get help from another unit unless you let them know that there is something in it for them to help you

Advice to Management

Cultural needs work

3. Travel Consultant

Former Employee - Travel Counselor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good benefits package. Use of technology was first class. Very good support from tech personnel.

Cons

Did not like the way they measured job performance. Constantly pressured to keep outbound call use to a minimum! Also did not like that was not allowed to speak to manager about my termination.

Advice to Management

Do not let metrics be the only the factor to measure employee performance.

Strong leadership is an underestimated variable.

Current Employee - Client Manager- GMS in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Manager- GMS in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexibility- I don't need great work life balance, but this organization really encourages us to work smarter and not longer. Prioritize, think about the 5 Organization goals and push on forward. There are days you will have to work over 5:30 pm, but it's really rewarding when there are also days you can leave here at 5 on the dot.
    -Leadership- I was on the Consumer Marketing side at one point and I don't think I liked my job or the company-- but my Director at the time really worked hard to make sure his team was happy and he made working fun. Now that I am on the Merchant side, the culture my previous director carried in Consumer is really fostered in my new organization. It really is why AXP has been successful, its leadership- open communication, foster its employees at all levels, have the hard conversations, think about the future and the next steps, and be kind-- Ed Gilligan philosophy.
    - Opportunity for growth- There's always opportunity for growth, you just have to take the initiative to get to the next level/team.

Cons

- Pay isn't terrible but it is not comparable to "real" banks, but this isn't a real bank
    - The launch time for any initiative takes about 2 months to launch, in the tech and marketing industry, this is equal to 2 years
    - Not all organizations in AXP foster the same leadership/people mindset
    - I think it's hard for introverts here because this is a people company.-- Which means you have to own your own brand; coffee chats, meeting new people, and selling yourself. Not everyone can do this, so it hinders people's ability to move around. But I think if you secure an advocate, even if it's your own boss, that can be a solution.
    - They hire extremely talented external employees and put them in less-than-fitting roles. If your analyst takes the initiative to automate and essentially fire himself/herself from their job- maybe the role was not challenging enough and you should think to find a job to promote he or she within the company to retain the talent

Advice to Management

It may seem like I have more cons than pros, but I think leadership is the biggest component when it comes to ratings because you don't find great ones everywhere. I will say, foster the same type of leadership in GMS and OPEN across other organizations-- Specifically CP&S. You're losing talent because of leadership, not because of compliance challenges.

Think bigger, think faster. How can we get things done better and quicker. We need another Ed.

One of the world's best brands

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really smart colleagues
    You can wear jeans (even on days other than Friday)
    Well respected brand

Cons

Amex is a diversity puzzle...looks great from the outside but lots of unconscious bias on the inside ESPECIALLY for women.

7. Executive Assistant -

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provided Support for 2 VP’s and 7 Directors in Global Corporate Payments

I learned a lot about time management.

Cons

I don't have any cons. American Express is an excellent company to work for.

8. Strong Benefits, So-So Work/LIfe Balance, "Matrixed" Organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are strong, especially time off, which improves as your tenure grows. NY employees also get four "flex" days in the summer. Health benefits are fairly strong, probably comparable to similar NY companies. The company is getting more comfortable with a partial "work at home" style, though that can have its drawbacks. Pay is OK, though similar companies within NYC will do better. World-class brand. Office culture isn't aggressive (though it can be passive aggressive). Lots of opportunities to move to different departments and roles to gain experience

Cons

Organization is highly matrixed, so navigating the various stakeholders to get their involvement and approval to get things done can be a challenge. Goals between groups often don't match up or can even be contradictory, also making it hard to get things done. It can be political -- who you know is often more important than what you know. (Building relationships with people is ESSENTIAL) Regarding the "work from home" comment in the "PROs" section, the company is increasingly moving to a work style where employees no longer have dedicated cubes and offices, and instead work in a small workstation, different each day. This limits privacy, and can create challenges finding and reserving a space. The dedication to work/life balance has been eroding for years.

Advice to Management

Create more goal alignment among the different businesses so that there is less internal fighting and less wasted time (which would lead to more work/life balance); pay better; invest in better solutions to support the non-dedicated work stations

9. Sr. Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Challenging work. Opportunities to make an impact. Smart and talented people. Lots of people stay at AMEX for 10-20 years.

Cons

Hard to advance. Roles aren't always clearly defined. Management could be better. Compensation could be better.

Advice to Management

Find opportunities to move employees up within band with base compensation promotions to help employees be more satisfied with in-band progress and less disappointed with not moving up bands.

10. Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Lead Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at American Express (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, Great People, Great Company

Cons

You give to much loyalty to the Company once you're in it!

Advice to Management

The Company could provide more career growth opportunities in countries where it has limitation in this area.

11. Great Place to work and grow

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is very innovative as well as accepting. There are always people and teams you can get along with and have a good work/life balance.

Cons

There is always changes and sometimes they directly impact your job and sometimes seem very chaotic. I think it is better to plan and then strategize any changes so that people are not hired one year and then next year moved or removed.

Advice to Management

Work on more transparent and open communication when it comes to career opportunity. It is great to develop people but if there are little or no opportunities to progress (laterally or promotionally) you are just developing Talent who will eventually leave.

Showing 585 of 2,560 reviews