American Express

American Express Reviews in New York, NY

Updated Jul 29, 2014

American Express Chairman and CEO Ken Chenault

Ken Chenault

Pros
  • Usually a great work-life balance and they are very invested in their employees (in 399 reviews)

• Home Based Servicing has a bit more flexibility given that it is a work from home position (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Amex is known for its work life balance but it is totally fake n wrong perception (in 69 reviews)

• decision making processes and promotion of less qualified individuals (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights
429 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great place to work and grow

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsStrong work-life balance. Always new projects to work on. Many strong team members to learn from. Lots of areas to move around and work in within the company.

ConsA lot of change and politics between teams.

Wonderful place to work.

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe CEO is a great guy and very inspirational. The people are bright, sophisticated and nice. Good atmosphere and diverse culture.

ConsFrequent restructuring and management shuffles. Not a lot of loyalty to people who have been there a long time.

team leader business travel

Team Leader (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe benefits are great==The ability to purchase vacation time and add to the PTO is wonderful. The customers are enjoyable and is nice to work with a company that puts customers first.

ConsThe ability to advance to other positions-the fact that the travel industry is ever changing. Making change management a daily task.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AMEX

Director - Risk Management (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossalary, culture, leaders, and lots of opportunities to move around and learn

Constechnology, health benefits, lack of training and mentoring

Great culture, work/life balance, perks, environment, corporate training

Digital Commerce Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI love working at American Express as I feel like I am doing real work, making an impact, receiving corporate training, have a work/life balance, and am overall just enjoying my experience.

ConsThere isn't much I don't like about what I do for American Express. We get a lot of free food, but it would be great if there was even more free food.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wouldn't have much advice to upper level management other than to keep doing what they're doing.

Wonderful company just make sure you are in the right division

Senior Manager - Business Development (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCulture, support, intelligence of the people. It's like going to a top-tier college. You can feel the passion.

ConsLow-Base, Travel division dying on the vine with sub-standard technology. Get more involved with Concur. Basically you should be selling Concur as Concur. They wont let you switch divisions because they are afraid of how it reflects on their employee review score. Benefits are horrendous. Horrendous.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about the layers of management and take ownership of your territory like its your franchise with your own P and L. Management by fear is the dodo bird. Stop obsessing over your employee review score and close business. I think Kenny would be happier about revenue.

Good company overall.

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood culture, encourages employee growth and engagement. Cares about its customers.

ConsSlightly lower than market salary. Culture is very passive-aggressive as well.

Senior Manager

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe majority of the people are smart and motivated.

All around great company culture.

ConsToo many processes to deal with and very competitive.

Generally good company, Blueworks ruins it all

Manager - Risk Management (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood starting pay, people are nice and leaders are generally helpful

ConsThe implementation of Blueworks, a space-saving program that crams more people onto one floor while claiming to be more efficient is ridiculous. Employees now have to reserve their desks every day just to have a place to sit, and can only leave their belongings in tiny lockers smaller than the ones I used in junior high in California.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Blueworks, it wastes time and annoys all the full-time workers

MBA kinda company

Manager - Risk Management (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosmake you grow, like how MBAs are trained

Consnot an analytics/data driven company
    management are good at talking, rather than delivering results.

Advice to Senior Managementno suggestion. company will die sooner or later

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!